Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Credit card - confirmation required?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Credit card - confirmation required?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken-ES
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
Ken, no. If a card (or card number) is stolen but hasn't been reported as stolen and a fraudulent transaction 30 mins has been placed on the card, a chargeback can still occur to the retailer. That's happened to me before.

Ah yes Dave, I understand and accept your knowledge. This is a little different to the retailer always getting stung for the costs though.

Dave wrote:
I'm not sure about Amex, but if you're talking about the first 4 digits, then each merchant bank will have their own set of codes to tell easily which bank has issued the card. If you're talking about the CVN number or sometimes known as CVS or security code which is on the back of the card (3 digit number) then this again won't help a lot of internet sites ask for the CVN number to prove you have the card, but anyone that has stolen your card will obviously have access to that, so it's a pretty lame security. Just like chip and pin is. Chip and Pin will work great in the highstreet where if you present a Chip and Pin card, you will be requested to enter your pin number, but it needs full co-operation from all retailers to request the pin and not just highstreet stores so if someone steals your card they'll still be able to order transactions over the internet with certain websites that don't request Chip and Pin.

Sorry for my bad explanation, I was talking about these 3 or 4 numbers that are usually on the reverse of the card. Amex do put them on the front, hence would be my reluctance to copy the front of my card to anyone. I guess/assume that these CVN/CVS numbers offer another 'limited' form of security, but as you point out, only in the case of a non reported stolen card. I'll concede.. what's the point then.

Unfortunately, my location is rife with card fraud. Often the retailers are to blame and are complacent. Even cards that are reported lost/stolen are being used days later. As is life, we all (card holders) pay in the long run.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to commend mrchips' approach of making contact with the company using contact information he found from his own sources to validate the request. Too often, fraud is committed through people's naivete - especially using links in what turn out to be fraudulent emails that look as if they're taking you to the genuine site, but in fact take you somewhere completely different. That's a standard trick of the phishers.

If in doubt, ask; you can always contact your card issuer for advice if you're unsure of what to do.

David
mavis
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have come across this but hte company in question computer universe were happy for me to cover the numbers of the card and the number on the back.
As they already have all the details I see no problem with this.
mrchips
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gingernut777 has suggested to me by PM that although I sent nothing on the fax that the compay did not already know. ... by sending a fax of my details, 'someone' and obviously not with the consent of the company in question, now have something that they could fax off to someone else to use as proof of address and ownership etc.

If I had been really clever, (and I can be pretty clever in hindsight) I would have written on the fax that the details were for use of ExPansys only relating to transaction such and such.

However, in future I would probably refuse to send such details ... gingernut777 has a very good point.

regards
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry, retailers have your credit card details anyway, so if they really wanted to be nasty they could hand these over to criminals to start charging your card with lots of goodies that you don't buy, they have all the information really that they need, but they won't do that because their not part of the criminal fraternity. I suspect your fax will have been shredded or binned by now.

Retailers don't keep that much paperwork, you'll find that because everything is electronic, it's a lot easier to change a flag on the system to say yes he has sent confirmation / authorisation.
gingernut777
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrchips wrote:
Gingernut777 has suggested to me by PM that although I sent nothing on the fax that the compay did not already know. ... by sending a fax of my details, 'someone' and obviously not with the consent of the company in question, now have something that they could fax off to someone else to use as proof of address and ownership etc.

If I had been really clever, (and I can be pretty clever in hindsight) I would have written on the fax that the details were for use of ExPansys only relating to transaction such and such.

However, in future I would probably refuse to send such details ... gingernut777 has a very good point.

regards

Only to pleased to help and give my little bit of advice.

better safe than sorry.
trafcam
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a retailers point of view, there is very little that you can do to protect yourself against things like chargebacks. The document that we receive if someone does a chargeback on us states that there's no point us disputing the charge unless we have a signed card authorisation slip to present as evidence - something that any mailorder company will not have. There isn't even any way we can find out what reason the cardholder gave for requesting the chargeback, so that we can dispute the facts of the case.

I read somewhere that although it's always wise to be careful with your credit card details when buying on-line, there is far more fraud goes on in resort restaurants and bars where the unscrupulous scan the card contents and make a few charges on it before you get home to stop them. A recent edition of 'Airport' showed a pair of illegal immigrants who had stacks of credit card blanks and a list of information scanned off cards using a low-cost card reader. Apparently there's enough there to make a charge, though perhaps not with the new Chip and Pin.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it seems silly really that credit card companies and merchant banks will not honor and protect the retailer, they put all the faith in the consumer who owns the card.

The amount of times I've heard of people requesting a charge back, just because they don't like a product (and keeping the product) which is just blatant fraud.

There's been lots of cases in the media where they say that your card is more at risk putting it behind a bar or in a restaurant than online. Personally I'd agree with them. The only time there is a higher risk is that if a company stores your credit card details (e.g. Amazon) for future processing and their systems do get hacked, then you are at a higher risk there, but still by far the most fraud occurs via people taking an imprint of the card, or writing down the numbers, name and CVN which literally takes seconds.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Retailers to buy from or avoid All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: