Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GO 1000 Live - Reviewed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GO 1000 Live - Reviewed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know what map will be preinstalled? And, will the latest map be offered as with previous devices? i.e. LMG

Quote:
will backup automatically

First I have seen of this function.
HenryMitchell
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has there been any mention of a wireless remote for the 1000/1005 range? Either bundles with the unit or (more likely) at extra cost? Or will my existing remote that I've used with x30, x40 and x50 models still work?
Map: Europe v920.5244 (11/2013)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: further query Reply with quote

1ee wrote:
I hope TT allow customers to install third party POI such as the Pocketgps camera database. In fact i wish this was the default database they would use being its far more accurate than many other I have used.

We've tried hard to persuade them, perhaps we need to encourage our membership to nag them too!
Quote:
Darren does this unit use TT home.

It uses HOME3, a new on-line system which connects the unit via a small client app to TT directly.

Whether this turns out to be progress is too early to tell, it does have benefits such as allowing TT to access a unit directly, useful perhaps if it needs a re-install, but of course, it locks out the device and prevents users from installing third party POIs.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
Anyone know what map will be preinstalled? And, will the latest map be offered as with previous devices? i.e. LMG

Until we see a retail model it's impossible to say.

As for HOME3 having a backup function, I cannot say but TT do have the facility to send or re-send software and maps to the unit. One would hope that a user will have a facility to backup and restore settings, favourites etc but we have not seen this in action as yet.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HenryMitchell wrote:
Has there been any mention of a wireless remote for the 1000/1005 range? Either bundles with the unit or (more likely) at extra cost? Or will my existing remote that I've used with x30, x40 and x50 models still work?

None at all as yet. But it would be a simple thing to offer at a later date as the unit supports Bluetooth.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
The Go-1000 uses a new version of TomTom Home that will take the user interface experiance to a totally new level - Mike

Twisted Evil
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
mikealder wrote:
The Go-1000 uses a new version of TomTom Home that will take the user interface experiance to a totally new level - Mike

Twisted Evil

Yes, David. You can take Mike's remark in two ways. Confused
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowing Mike as I do, I'm pretty sure I know what he meant ... Razz
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few of us have been testing the GO 1000 and HOME3 for many months now. However because of our involvement in testing we are bound by an NDA which forbids us from discussing test products.

This position is normally crystal clear but due to a mixup at TomTom, a few web-sites were given the green light to publish reviews of pre-release units. This has rather muddied the waters. Because we are involved in the testing it is far from clear how much we can discuss without falling foul of our agreements.

This should all be resolved soon as we should be in receipt of a production version shortly after which we can discuss freely.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UK launch party is Wednesday, have to smile at the thought they will be available before the press launch Laughing
mjdj1689
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazon say thursday , wonder if Halfords will have them in today. They still might try and push Garmin.

I called Tom Tom the other day and their customer support always say they have never heard of pgs I wonder why ? And usually they offer 20 percent off a new unit for customers with an older unit thats going out of warranty soon, but this time they are not offering it for some reason?

I just wonder how long it will take for people to get to know they cant add their own poi , and people who are so used to Home 2 how will they get on with Home 3 ? we will get to know in the next few days.

Last night I was travelling in Mkt Harboro, and there was a speedcamera with lines on both sides of the road, Tom toms database did not have this camera on where pgs did. I was going 38 in a 30 but I slowed to 30, If I had a 1000 I would have not known this camera was there and it would have cost me 60 pounds and 3 points, this is what puts me off owning a 1000. I have never known Tom Toms database to have a camera on it that covers both sides of the road unlike pgs? Just think if you live in London and you only have Tom Toms database.
ICHAPMAN
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The product page shows availablity is now expected from September 30th.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Will you be able to post a review to the site tomorrow very soon after the launch party?

Well, as soon as you are capable, that is Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Review - when? Reply with quote

1ee wrote:
Will you be able to post a review to the site tomorrow very soon after the launch party?

We'd need to actually have time to use it first!
Quote:
I trust the review on this site far more than any others and look forward to reading your comments

Well here is food for thought:

Until such time as TomTom allow the installation of third party POIs, POI alerts etc, features that, until now, have been present in TomTom devices, our position will be that we cannot recommend any device that lacks these features.

Currently that includes some START devices, GO1000, GO1005 and VIA models.

Support for third party POIs is a basic feature, one that TomTom has until now supported. Any device that lacks that support is knobbled in our opinion and we caution against buying one.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here is a short statement from TomTom on the issue of the new closed system:

Quote:
“In September 2010, TomTom announced its newest mid and high-end PNDs, the Via and GO 1000 series, powered by a compelling brand new software architecture, replacing the current Navcore software.

As part of our commitment to continually enhancing the end-user experience, TomTom has begun a significant project to redesign the TomTom.com website.

MyTomTom, the new web-based application, merging TomTom.com website with TomTom HOME, the free desktop device update software, will enable users to benefit from this enhanced implementation.

The overall objective of the project is to deliver a seamless solution which automatically installs and pushes content. This new generation makes sure only relevant content is presented to the user, together with an online maintenance and content creation sharing platform. When complete, it will provide a robust and fully integrated user interface, with potential for new services and solutions in the future.

As with all migrations of this scale, the roll out will span several months, with our priority being map and speed camera updating as well as device operability. As the devices are pre-installed with the most recent features and functionality available for each device, there is no immediate need to perform any updates.

We shall keep continue to update and inform the technical community as we progress

As regarding third party POI and application developers, TomTom wishes to reassure its commitment to support them within this new platform in the future. “

Quite why TomTom consider it is their role to decide what is relevant content I cannot fathom.

The vague re-assurance they give at the end regarding POI and app developers is, in our view worthless. They have demonstrated a complete lack of commitment to content providers and everything they have done has disenfranchised community web-sites and content providers.

They withdrew SDK support, they offered content via HOME that was not theirs to distribute, and now they have removed all access to the device and withdrawn third party POI support and alerts.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 9 of 13

Jump to: