Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ash10's Speed Camera Editing / Loading Software
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ash10's Speed Camera Editing / Loading Software
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richard5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great App, been using it since initial release without a problem, however I still cannot get any app to do what I want to do, which is :-

As I approach a speed camera I get one warning (Bong-Bong) at a distance defined by me.

Red Banner shows camera type and Speed (EG GATSO XXXX 30) until camera is passed

Map shows Camera Icon continually until camera is passed.

Thats it, I don't want any second warning, or continuios bongs due overspeed etc, just initial bong and warning banner until passed.

Any ideas on how to achieve this simple task?

Many thanks for any help
Ash10
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richard5 wrote:
As I approach a speed camera I get one warning (Bong-Bong) at a distance defined by me.

Red Banner shows camera type and Speed (EG GATSO XXXX 30) until camera is passed

Thats it, I don't want any second warning, or continuios bongs due overspeed etc, just initial bong and warning banner until passed.

This is something that I've been considering - dragging a slider fully to the left switches that option off (instead of being 10s).

That way users can choose between approach warning (which you want), overspeed warning, both together, or neither (ie: disable this particular camera type).
richard5
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I thought it had been achieved when I saw the new version, but the sliders only went down to 10's, zero or off would be perfect.

I await the next release with excitment Not Worthy
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ash,

Just downloaded the app, have,'t had a chance to try out the results yet, but waht a great piece of software.... Well done in advance!!! Smile
awalsh
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works a treat, keep up the good work.

Thanks, :D
trevf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash10 wrote:
richard5 wrote:

This is something that I've been considering - dragging a slider fully to the left switches that option off (instead of being 10s).

That way users can choose between approach warning (which you want), overspeed warning, both together, or neither (ie: disable this particular camera type).
Ash, do you plan to produce this?
FirebladeDreamer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep we're all ears. Wondering if you've burnt youself out Ash. (I'm sure theres a pun in there somewhere!)
galaxy111
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: warning times? Reply with quote

Just downloaded this application - looks quite neat. All the camera warning times appear to be initially set at 60 seconds. Are there any default values for 1st / 2nd warnings - what are other people using?

I don't know enough about the effective range of various cameras to be confident in selecting values.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally i use 60 seconds for Mobile as they can have incredible range. All the other fixed ones are set to between 20 and 30 seconds.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I don't know enough about the effective range of various cameras to be confident in selecting values.

The range of the camera doesn't matter. What does is how long it takes for you to adjust your driving to suit the road as you've just had a warning that there is an accident cash, sorry, black spot ahead.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:

The range of the camera doesn't matter.

You do realise that this kinda contradicts what you just wrote in your previous reply. ;-) Is somebody else posting with your ID? ;-)

And the range of the camera can matter for mobile locations, as you hinted in your other reply. It's because laser traps have such a range, that it can and often does matter, if you want your sat nav to give you adequate warning - the proximity, may matter for scrubbing off speed on faster roads / limits, but with laser cameras the range of the camera matters.

PaulB2005 wrote:
What does is how long it takes for you to adjust your driving to suit the road as you've just had a warning that there is an accident cash, sorry, black spot ahead.

Which is no good, though, if you're already within the active range of the camera - which you quite well could be, in the case of mobile, laser traps.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You do realise that this kinda contradicts what you just wrote in your previous reply.

Yeah, kinda, but i think it more a poor description of what i mean than a direct contradiction.

What i was trying to say in both is this.

Mobile cameras (as you pointed out) have a huge range. However even at say 70 mph 60 seconds should give you amble warning of a Mobile site. Even at 30mph you still get amble warning.

Most other fixed position cameras only monitor a small section of the road so you only need enough time to be warned and allow you to slow down and maybe change lane if required hence i suggested 15 - 20 seconds. In effect everyone will have different ideal settings. Someone who travels regularly well over the time needs more time than someone who may only occasionally drifts a few mph over the limit.
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Quote:
You do realise that this kinda contradicts what you just wrote in your previous reply.

Yeah, kinda, but i think it more a poor description of what i mean than a direct contradiction.

What i was trying to say in both is this.

Mobile cameras (as you pointed out) have a huge range. However even at say 70 mph 60 seconds should give you amble warning of a Mobile site. Even at 30mph you still get amble warning.

Well there's two things to consider, isn't there? Newton's speed / distance / time relationship - so for fixed sites, there's merely reaction time, and time necessary to "sanitise" your speed.

And for mobile sites, there's rather more of that range to worry about.

PaulB2005 wrote:
Most other fixed position cameras only monitor a small section of the road so you only need enough time to be warned and allow you to slow down and maybe change lane if required hence i suggested 15 - 20 seconds. In effect everyone will have different ideal settings. Someone who travels regularly well over the time needs more time than someone who may only occasionally drifts a few mph over the limit.

Indeed - but as you point out - fixed position cameras (including SPECS, given they "average") have a fairly small detection area. And I suspect those people, who mommentarily drift marginally over the speed limit ;-), only need sufficient warning that they can react and manage to get their speed more appropriate. In this scenario, the range of the camera isn't truly that poignant. Moreover, it's reaction time, and the ability to get your speed where it should be.

But with mobile laser sites, the range of the camera IS an issue, given it will heavily outweigh (I would hope!) reaction time, plus any time required to (hypothetically!) slow down sufficiently. With those type of cameras, it's more about distance, than it is time - since distance is the more critical factor.
craigsmith
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used Ash10's software to upgrade my Garmin I3 and everything seems to be OK. I have noticed that this doubles the amount of POI's you have in the machine.

The Garmin does not seem to allow you to access it as a removable drive from windows and manually delete old and out of date POI information - is this the case?

The main question I have, when you update the database using the Ash10 program again, will all of the old POI's be overwritten or will some remain? I know that when you use the conventional database (i.e. without using Ash10's program) it automatically deleted / overwrites the old data. I just want to make sure the same will happen when using Ash10's excellent application.

Thanks
Nickwolf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, all the POI's are overwritten each time.

If you want to manually remove old and out of date POI's you can do it on your PC prior to uploading them.

Nick.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 9 of 17

Jump to: