Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Open letter to TomTom about address lookup (Navigator 3 GB)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Open letter to TomTom about address lookup (Navigator 3 GB)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fuego
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dunno wrote:
waits eagerly for new update ..... i've given up with tt looks ups Now that i have digitools postcode which i find works great

*nod* so long as you have a postcode.
mrg2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 3:08 am    Post subject: TT3 - what's the problem ? Reply with quote

I don't see what all the fuss is about. TT3 with digitools works very well. Tomtom has always supported 3rd party addons.
Conor
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: TT3 - what's the problem ? Reply with quote

mrg2003 wrote:
I don't see what all the fuss is about. TT3 with digitools works very well. Tomtom has always supported 3rd party addons.

1) I've paid for a product that is supposed to work properly. Why should I need to use a 3rd party addon to try and compensate for a fundamental function thats missing?

2) You're assuming you'll always have a postcode. I'm a HGV driver. I rarely get a postcode but what I do get is a town name and street name.
Pagemakers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea when we can expect an update to TT3?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Looks like some of the missing places ARE there Reply with quote

hegedusa wrote:
However, apparently (even though these towns are wrong), the entries themselves are listed in order of distance from SS17 8.

That's the fix I proposed myself earlier in the thread and which I expected TomTom to implement - sort the streets returned by distance from the 'city' entered, returning the closest first.

If they've done this properly, it will make Navigator 3 GB's address lookup much more usable.

I don't think we'll see a full fix, though - which would mean a new database (and therefore, realistically, a new map). A full fix would involve each street being correctly allocated to a town - so the data would contain the information that there's only one High Street, in Stalham, Norfolk. The fix we're likely to have released soon will, I expect in this case, simply sort all the High Streets in Norfolk by distance from Stalham - so the one I'm after with that search will almost certainly be the first one returned (and if not the first, within the top three).

I'm not even sure the "full fix" is possible with current TeleAtlas geodata - such 'database' information does seem to be a weakness in all TeleAtlas based products.

Unless I'm taken by surprise and there's new maps (or some kind of patch for the maps), I can't think that the places missing in the database will be fixed until Navigator 4. I suggest that people report missing places, together with all other map errors, to TeleAtlas here.

Hopefully TomTom will soon release qualify the new version and make it available. As you can tell by my postulating in this message, I haven't seen it myself, despite being the originator of the 'open letter'. Indeed, I've never had any more contact from TomTom.

David
anarchy-inc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Looks like some of the missing places ARE there Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
hegedusa wrote:
However, apparently (even though these towns are wrong), the entries themselves are listed in order of distance from SS17 8.

That's the fix I proposed myself earlier in the thread and which I expected TomTom to implement - sort the streets returned by distance from the 'city' entered, returning the closest first.

Thats all well and good, but why does it even show streets for other towns? As soon as I enter my town name (provided it is in the database) that should be all the streets it should show. As I progressivly enter more letters for the street name, it should narrow it down to ONLY the names with those letters in the town I originally entered. By the time I've typed 4 or 5 letters, depending on the name, I should only have a few choices. That's how every other system I've used works. Period. Why did TomTom have to re-write the book on this? It really is that simple.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'open letter' back at the beginning of this thread describes the behaviour of Navigator 3 3.01 and 3.02T precisely. In particular, read the parts about counties (Navigator 3) and 'administrative areas' (which is how the lists of streets were organised in Navigator 2).

It seems that all TeleAtlas based products don't have proper classification of streets by town and county - see the comments further up the thread about SmartST Pro v2, which also uses TeleAtlas geodata.

You're asking for the "full fix" - which I, too, would like. I don't think we're going to see it until at least Navigator 4, and only then if a way is found to get the appropriate data from the geodata supplier TomTom use.

By the way, any 'additional' matches amongst the street names that don't quite match the letters you entered appear because Navigator uses fuzzy matching.

David
anarchy-inc
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
You're asking for the "full fix" - which I, too, would like. I don't think we're going to see it until at least Navigator 4, and only then if a way is found to get the appropriate data from the geodata supplier TomTom use.

So, presumably, we will have to pay to get what we should have had working in version 3?

I should say, that even though TT3 has these faults, it still is a very good program. I just agree with Conor that we paid for a product that in certain ways, ways which are very important to Conor and those like him, is inadequate. It affects me too, but luckily for me, I know the postcodes of all my customers and can us the add-ons.

In your experience of TomTom David, will we have to pay for an upgrade, or at the very least, previous customers getting a discount?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upgrades are usually free and will be posted on the TomTom site. When TT4 comes existing customers will get it at a reduced cost. Map ammendments are not usual on upgrades, they will come with TT4.

Steve
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom's upgrade pricing has always been pretty reasonable - about the cheapest in the business.

The upgrade from Navigator 1 to Navigator 2 was 39 Euros plus P&P

The upgrade from Navigator 2 to Navigator 3 is 49 Euros plus P&P

Considering that you get new maps and new software for that price, it's not too bad. (Whilst they're not perfect, the Navigator 3 maps are better than the Navigator 2 ones).

The important thing to know is that TomTom don't keep their upgrade deals open for ever - it's something like six months after the release of the latest version only. Further, you can only upgrade from the immediately previous version - so the only way to upgrade from Navigator 1 to Navigator 3 is to buy Navigator 3 afresh.

The way the pricing is currently, it's to your advantage to keep upgrading.

As Steve says, minor version upgrades are free of charge - typically you just download a new installer from the TomTom support site. I think it's near certain there'll be another version of Navigator 3 within the next 2-3 weeks - amongst other things to release the address lookup fix.

David
Oldie
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Open letter to TomTom about address lookup (Navigator 3 Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
For an example, search for "High Street" in "Stalham", a medium sized town in Norfolk. This gives 46 results, with the correct answer, High Street NR12 9, at number 11.

David,

High Street NR12 9 is now in the first position using TTN 3.03

It looks as though TomTom have got it right now. :D Thank you for organising the open letter - it worked.

Richard

Last edited by Oldie on Sat Jun 26, 2004 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
LittleErn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:16 pm    Post subject: Tom-Tom v 3.03 Reply with quote

Thumbs Up Great! 3.03 now downloaded and , so far, working. Address lookup is much improved. Pity I only found out it was available by looking at your post mentioning it!
Fuego
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TTN3 with TTT3.04 plug-in update returns Sutton Coldfield, High Wycombe, and Scarborough. It also returns Whitby.

However, the odd thing is that yesterday, when I first tried it, it returned a single Whitby, Whitby (Cheshire), whereas this morning it returns Whitby (Cheshire) and Whitby (North Yorkshire), yay!

Just can't understand why. I tested it immediately after upgrade and completing a soft-reset. Either I'm losing it, or it's a little odd.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
It seems that all TeleAtlas based products don't have proper classification of streets by town and county - see the comments further up the thread about SmartST Pro v2, which also uses TeleAtlas geodata.

I've been doing some testing of the SmartST v2 address searching and have found with SP2 it is much improved. However, there are still some inaccuracies.
I believe that Both TomTom and Navman have the ability to tweak their software to improve the search results. And this thread proves it!
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
vxer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Various references have been made to it in this and other threads but on behalf of all "posters" and contributors may I say a big THANKYOU to everyone in getting this fixed. All looks much better with the new upgrade. One has to ask - would it have happened without all this fuss??? And it would have been nice (and good PR) for Tom Tom to more openly hold their hands up.

Well done Pocket GPS - keep up the good work! Thumbs Up

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 8 of 12

Jump to: