Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speedcams Builder for Mio Cxxx Series
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speedcams Builder for Mio Cxxx Series
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GPSBear
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sal

Yes on the actual map all cameras show the same icon as far as I can tell but the edit screen has different types shown. For example the one nearest to me shows as a camera with an orange "flash" on the map - Go into edit cam and it shows as a cam with flash *and* a traffic light.

Do you happen to know all four types? I have

Cam + flash
Cam + flash + car
Cam + flash + traffic light
Cam + flash + a (speedo?) dial
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPSBear wrote:

Do you happen to know all four types? I have
Cam + flash
Cam + flash + car
Cam + flash + traffic light
Cam + flash + a (speedo?) dial

The Mio always shows the same basic icon on the map, but puts up the correct type of camera on the screen when it alarms as you approach it.
In the order that you listed them above, the four types are:
Fixed
Mobile
Redlight
SPECS

The PGPSW database has more camera types than this, so the Speedcams Builder converts all the following types to 'Fixed': Gatso, Truvelo, Temp.

Sal
GPSBear
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sallyann wrote:

The Mio always shows the same basic icon on the map, but puts up the correct type of camera on the screen when it alarms as you approach it.

Sal

Have not noticed that - is that only if you have the visible warning turned on? Never tried that.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolling Eyes RTFM Wink
DeeJay01
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPSBear wrote:
Sallyann wrote:

Sal

Have not noticed that - is that only if you have the visible warning turned on? Never tried that.

GPSBear
The icon only shows whenyou enable it.
This is done by the following actions from the Main menu
Main Menu / Settings / Genral / (Make sure that there is a tick for "Enable Safety Cameras" Options (on visible warnings you have 2 choices, Detailed or Simple)

Dave
GPSBear
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I found that thanks and just had a test run - but I can see no difference between simple and detailed. Both just seem to pop up the correct cam icon above the speed limit sign. *Is* there a difference?

Oh and despite loading the DB with it set to metric they seem to work OK at the correct speed. Now how does that work?
DeeJay01
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPSBear wrote:
Yes I found that thanks and just had a test run - but I can see no difference between simple and detailed. Both just seem to pop up the correct cam icon above the speed limit sign. *Is* there a difference?

Oh and despite loading the DB with it set to metric they seem to work OK at the correct speed. Now how does that work?

GPSBear
Difference between the 2
Simple - Just the Icon
Detailed - Icon + distance you are away from it. (Works really well on SPECS cams as it works out your average speed.

Dave
DeeJay01
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the moderators,
I have been doing some work in collating directional speedcam info for my area. I was wondering if it was possible to submit a txt file containing the the directional into for each ID.
I understand that the text cannot be posted into this forum as non members would receieve the benefit. I also understand that we can submit the data as a modified submission to a camera. This option is not very good as you could waste time by submitting the info which may have been submitted numerous previous time.

I propose that the moderators produce a list of all the IDs of the cams without the eastings/northings so that we as the forum users can add the directional info it it.

Just a thought.

Dee
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there Dee
DeeJay01 wrote:
I also understand that we can submit the data as a modified submission to a camera. This option is not very good as you could waste time by submitting the info which may have been submitted numerous previous time.

You make a very good point and I think this is dissuading people from submitting direction info.

DeeJay01 wrote:
I propose that the moderators produce a list of all the IDs of the cams without the eastings/northings so that we as the forum users can add the directional info it it.

An excellent idea and I hope they will take it up.

I know that the database people are working on the directional data, but they have other plans as well and it has to take its place in the queue. The trouble is that only we Mio users can take advantage of the data at the moment so we are very much a minority.

Sal
GPSBear
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeeJay01 wrote:

GPSBear
Difference between the 2
Simple - Just the Icon
Detailed - Icon + distance you are away from it. (Works really well on SPECS cams as it works out your average speed.

Dave

Thanks another test run and I see the extra info. I missed it because it is one of those semi transparent icons.

Now what *really* has me beat is the speed cam speeds and the units the Mio is set to. I have mine set to Km. Mainly because a) I was fed up it switching between fractions of a mile and yards and b) it says "motorway" not "highway".

Now if I am in a 30 MPH zone cockpit mode says 48, correct, a 30mph cam also says 48 in the distance info described above, and if I am doing 49kph I get a warning. BUT, if I go into edit camera it says 30.

Confused.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPSBear wrote:

Now if I am in a 30 MPH zone cockpit mode says 48, correct, a 30mph cam also says 48 in the distance info described above, and if I am doing 49kph I get a warning. BUT, if I go into edit camera it says 30.

I understand your confusion but I think this is because the labelling of each camera is an absolute number without units.
The use of two measurement systems must cause endless difficulties in programming GPS units and I can't really blame Mitac for taking a short cut here. The real blame lies with 'our' decision to accept some of the SI units but not all. It's time we decided to go for one system or the other, not stick with a half-way bodge.

Sal
GPSBear
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did think of that Sal but it does not really explain it. OK so we have 30 something set in the DB - Could be MPH, could be KPH, could be Furlongs per fortnight. Just what does the Mio compare that against? In my instance it seems to think they are mph and converts to kph for the info display. But what if it were really at 30kph limit? OK I know it does not go that slow but you see my point? Why does it decide it is MPH? Which is what it seems to be doing.

Put it another way. I find a new camera on my way to Dover on the M20. I add that and put in 70. After arriving in France I find another new one on the A26 and put in err, as what, 85ish or 130? And how the heck does it figure it out?

I think it is the Nuvi that you have to have set to the right units when you upload the DB - otherwise it *does* get the speeds wrong. I just cannot see how the Mio can cope with both sets of units - and apparently get it right. Although I have not tested against a continental camera. Anyone?

Unless, just had a thunk, possibly, as it knows which *country* it is in, it treats the specified number as whatever units that country uses?
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPSBear wrote:

Unless, just had a thunk, possibly, as it knows which *country* it is in, it treats the specified number as whatever units that country uses?

You have it.

Sal
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having nothing better to do, I thought that I might throw a bit of controversy into this thread. Twisted Evil
With all this 'to-ing and fro-ing' about the speed display of speed cameras (mine gives them in km/hr when the general setting is to imperial). The cameras are almost always set to trap people exceding the local speed limit (I don't know of one that does not, but please correct me if I'm wrong). As this is the case, if you don't know what the local speed limit is, then you deserve to be flashed. :x I have fount that unless I display MioMap on a 42" (sorry Sal a 106.68cm) plasma display mounted on my dash, I have to take my eyes off the road for rather too long read the speed that Mio display to me, apart from that I take note of the speed limit as I enter it, and use the camera audible alarm just in case I happen to stray slightly over this. (Polishes halo). Laughing
On a slightly different subject, do we really need to be told about Redlight cameras, they are easy enough to spot, as not only are the cameras usually painted yellow, but they are also exclusively, by definition, installed near traffic lights. You can easily, and more readily, spot traffic lights as they are normally situated at road junctions or pederstrian crossings on the top of several different poles and have three, fairly bright lights at the top of them. The general rules for these is that if the Amber or Red lights (or a combination of both) is illuminated, then STOP.
As for RedSpeed cameras, if one excedes the speed limit throug traffic lights, again you deserve to be flashed.
My thoughts on SI units is that you can stick them. Let's stick to furlongs per fortnight, rods, chains, gills (not to mention the old fasioned gallons, the units in which most of us subconciously buy our petrol in) and the like. just to confuse 'Johnny foreigner' like his measurements confuse us.

Trevor
PS hands up those who know what RTFM means.
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Trevor,
The next version of Speedcams Builder will have the facility to omit mobile and/or redlight cameras as you wish.
I understand the point you are making about redlights, but this is a more general subject applying to all GPS devices, not just Mio's. If you really do want to "throw a bit of controversy into this thread" then perhaps you will get a wider reaction in the Cameras forum where they can all have a go at you Wink

Sal

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 8 of 17

Jump to: