Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sound on HTC Hero
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sound on HTC Hero
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Sound on HTC Hero Reply with quote

Have just got a new HTC Hero and am looking for Android based sat nav which stores maps on unit. It is probably going to be Copilot (not a lot else at the moment). I would welcome peoples views on how good that would be against my present TTN6 set up please.

One specific question I have relates to how the Hero and Copilot handle sounds when I am driving in my car. If I am bluetoothed to my handsfree (Parrot) will the sat nav sounds come through that? Or will they come through the loudspeaker on the back of the hero?

Am a bit confused with the safety camera installation and warnings - some posts say they work, others say not. Does it work please on the latest version of the Android Copilot I am being offered (8.0.0.494)?

And one last thing please - does the navigate to contacts now work please?
Copilot for USA
Bury CC9060 bluetooth car kit & Brodit mount
BaggieBoy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Sound on HTC Hero Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
Have just got a new HTC Hero and am looking for Android based sat nav which stores maps on unit. It is probably going to be Copilot (not a lot else at the moment). I would welcome peoples views on how good that would be against my present TTN6 set up please.?

I used TTN6 before CoPilot 8 and would rate them about equal. CP8 does have more up to date maps. TTN6 may shade it on useability.

peterc10 wrote:
One specific question I have relates to how the Hero and Copilot handle sounds when I am driving in my car. If I am bluetoothed to my handsfree (Parrot) will the sat nav sounds come through that? Or will they come through the loudspeaker on the back of the hero??

Mine comes out of the phone speaker.

peterc10 wrote:
Am a bit confused with the safety camera installation and warnings - some posts say they work, others say not. Does it work please on the latest version of the Android Copilot I am being offered (8.0.0.494)??

They work fine for me, as long as you remove one of the underscore characters from the filenames.

peterc10 wrote:
And one last thing please - does the navigate to contacts now work please?

Never used this feature.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baggieboy

thanks for your help. Just a few questions please.

Do you find that the sound coming out of the back of the speakers is loud enough?
Do you use the consolidated camera database, or the one split by type, or the one split by type and speed?
Can you have spoken warnings of cameras (like TTN6) or are you stuck with bells or whistles?

I am trying to make sure that I get warned of the camera type and the speed limit! At present my TTN6 has seperate spoken warnings for each type and speed.

Many thanks again for your help.
Copilot for USA
BaggieBoy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
Do you find that the sound coming out of the back of the speakers is loud enough?

It sits in a Brodit mount and is plenty loud enough, I usually drop the volume by a notch or so.

peterc10 wrote:
Do you use the consolidated camera database, or the one split by type, or the one split by type and speed?

Consolidated by type.

peterc10 wrote:
Can you have spoken warnings of cameras (like TTN6) or are you stuck with bells or whistles?

You are stuck with the standard "Safety Camera" announcement, you can't use your own warnings.

peterc10 wrote:
I am trying to make sure that I get warned of the camera type and the speed limit! At present my TTN6 has seperate spoken warnings for each type and speed.

You can't get an audible warning of these, however if you use the PGPSW icons when you load the database it does show up on the screen. The speed limit of the camera also shows up in a box on the lower right of the screen. The background of this is green if you are within the limit but changes to red if you are above it. To be honest I don't the miss the custom announcements as much as I thought I would.
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
Baggieboy

thanks for your help. Just a few questions please.

Many thanks again for your help.

Peterc10

If having the ability to give different alerts for each type of camera is important then you could look at Sygic Mobile Maps (www.sygic.com). It is slightly more expensive than Co-Pilot and AFAIK is not available through the app store but works well with cameras even down to individual speeds for each type and takes the same OGG files TomTom uses. Currently the UK version costs €49.99 and the full European (East and West) is €79.99.

I have used both quite extensively on both a Hero and HTC HD & HD2 and always move back to Sygic after a couple of days with CPL8.

A quick way to test where the sound will come from is to try playing music. Both CPL and Sygic play through the same place - in my case it is through the car speakers as I play MP3s at the same time as the navigation software.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scarymonkey

thanks for your help.

I looked for Sygic in Android market and couldn't find it. thanks for the web address, and the system looks good. I then went and looked in the PGPSW camera guidance and got a bit confused. It seems to use the McGuider system (not OV2?) and they then have to be converter to UPI. Is that correct or is the advice now out of date for the Android version (which is not specifically referred to). But I can use my existing OGG files can I to announce each camera?

With regards to the sounds I suspected that would be the case. I suspect that, like TTN6 on my TD, it uses the A2DP BT profile rather than the handsfree for these sounds. My Parrot does not support that and in my TD I have a little utility to convert the sounds, but it obviously won't work in Android.

However the Hero seems to have a good loudspeaker (TD has none) and I never listen to MP3s from phone. Prefer to burn them onto CDs and stack them into my car audio - that way I can get 36 albums, which is enough for me at any one time! So I suspect I will have the Parrot just for the phone calls.

What makes you prefer Sygic over CP8? Is it just the cameras or is there something else? Just wondering if I can justify the additional costs as the camera installation on both of them look much more complicated than I am used to with TTN6.
Copilot for USA
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
What makes you prefer Sygic over CP8? Is it just the cameras or is there something else?

Its a much clearer and intuative user interface on Sygic than CP, moving from TomTom to Sygic is seamless as the menu pages look remarkably similar (read, nearly identical), I am not too sure why but Co-Pilot has always appeared clutted and difficult to get along with when digging through the menu, TomTom is by far the best for an intuative human machine interface but Sygic is a very close second place in this area - Mike
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Converting the speed camera database is actually very easy and I have a little batch file which will convert the downloaded text files into the correct UPI format quickly and easily (it will actually try and convert any .txt file in the directory it is run in). I then just copy the new UPI files into the correct map directory on the phone. Takes about 10-15 seconds longer than using the OV2 files did on TT.

Sygic support is also very good and often reply within a couple of hours (compared to the couple of weeks I experienced with ALK).

As Mike said, the Sygic interface is very similar to TT so moving across should be relatively painless. Like all software though there are a few niggles. The biggest for me on the Hero is that using the hardware back button closes the app. You have to use the soft back button to return through the menus. You are also limited to a single UK voice for navigation. It is probably possible to create your own but I have never looked into this.

For the speed camera alerts, yes you use the same ogg files you use on TT. They get installed into the res/sounds directory and are selectable when you set the alerts up.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike & Scarymonkey

thanks to both of you for your help - most useful. I think I am keeping the Hero, although I originally got it as an upgrade in order to sell it on. I really like the capacitive screen and the menu system - it is so much better than my Touch Diamond. Now I have to make my mind up on sat nav systems. Suspect I will go with Sygic for Europe at least.

Scarymonkey - if I do get Sygic could I PM you for a copy of the batch file and some instructions please?

It seems to me that the PGPSW camera installation instructions for Cygic could do with updating, if for no other reason than to add a reference to Android systems. Do you still have to delete the previous files before putting the new ones on, and do you have to install the various types one at a time, as the instructions suggest?

We also go to the USA sometimes to visit our daughter and want a sat nav for occassional use there. Not used often enough to be too worried about usability. CP have got the whole of US and Canada on sale at the moment for $25.99 - for £17 or so that seems too good to miss. So may end up with both of them on the same card - now that will be confusing!
Copilot for USA
scarymonkey
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Sygic you have never needed to delete the old files before adding the new. You just copy the new ones over the top of the old ones (the same as you do for TT). I suspect you are getting confused between Sygic and CPL as CPL does require removing the old files and adding one at a time.

Certainly PM me if you need any help. The batch file is available on my website along with links to the Sygic converter program which you also need. Any references on the site to McGuider can be replaced with Sygic Mobile Maps as they are basically the same product.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scarymonkey

again many thanks for your time to help me. And yes I had confused Sygic & CPL

By the look of it the only thing CPL is better at is that the warnings are directional. I do not tick "warn only if on route" because I usually drive around with no route set but the sat nav still on to warn me of cameras. But that does lead to a lot of false alarms.

Decisions decisions ...........
Copilot for USA
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let you know that I have taken the plunge and your advice and gone for Sygic. It is actually much cheaper from the Teleatlas site - I got it for £53.99 including delivery for all of Europe complete with 4GB micro SD card and DVD version as well. Sygic wanted 80 Euros for the download version (with no card)! That makes it almost as cheap as Copilot

Again thanks for all your advice

Now just got to try to understand the cameras ............
Copilot for USA
norm2002
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterc10 wrote:
I have taken the plunge and your advice and gone for Sygic. It is actually much cheaper from the Teleatlas site - I got it for £53.99 including delivery for all of Europe complete with 4GB micro SD card and DVD version as well.

Hi

How did you get it for that price? Just gone to the Teleatlas website and it says £59.99. I'm looking to get it for my new HTC HD2.

Incidentally, I have received quick and helpful answers to a few questions I had from Sygic's tech support. The most important was that I can transfer it to a new phone if I replace my HD2 as the activation will be linked to my own MicroSD card.
norm2002
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, answering my own question. Found that if I put it into my shopping basket, it gives you a 10% discount code. Great! That's convinced me.
peterc10
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

norm2002

Yes I too got a nice surprise at the checkout where they offered me a 10% "winter" discount
Copilot for USA

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: