Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Installing POI's on a Becker Z205 (IGo8)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Installing POI's on a Becker Z205 (IGo8)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:32 pm    Post subject: Installing POI's on a Becker Z205 (IGo8) Reply with quote

Anyone with any experience on doing this please? My Becker has IGo8 installed and want to add some more POI's from here. The file structure is not the same as TomTom or Garmin which I am used to. Many sites have instructions is German which is quite useful! Crying or Very sad
Thanks
Doug
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Speed camera download page, there are instructions for copying iGo files for Binatone, Blaupunkt and iGo MyWay. One of these may be the same as your Becker or you may be able to use them as a guide.

Also, have a look in the NavNGo iGO section of the forum. I haven't used it personally so don't really know what to look for.
Brodit ProClip mount
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my iGO 6 I used a program called

iGO POI Explorer

Not sure if it works with iGO 8

The file it changed in iGO 6 was called iGO.db

If that file is present in iGO 8 it may work.
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Drowning slowly....... Reply with quote

Hi guys,
Thanks. With the speed camera database I downloaded some text files and put them in the Speedcam folder as per the installation instructions. I did this and removed a speedcam update.spud file. I was expecting it to reproduce this file on resetting the unit and it did but created two files speedcam.spdb with 138Kb data and a Speedcam updates.spud with 0kb in it.
I remember back with another unit that had this spud file business and a 0 size and cannot remember how i solved it. It must be at least 12 GPS units ago - about 12 months!!!!
On the normal POI front, I downloaded from another site some files with a kml and kns suffix which puts icons on the map but they have a shared bmp file which is rather useful. I would rather use the POI's from here that have the associated bmp file with them but theses are not kml or kns.
Any ideas please?
Doug
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Drowning slowly....... Reply with quote

Hi guys,
Thanks. With the speed camera database I downloaded some text files and put them in the Speedcam folder as per the installation instructions. I did this and removed a speedcam update.spud file. I was expecting it to reproduce this file on resetting the unit and it did but created two files speedcam.spdb with 138Kb data and a Speedcam updates.spud with 0kb in it.
I remember back with another unit that had this spud file business and a 0 size and cannot remember how i solved it. It must be at least 12 GPS units ago - about 12 months!!!!
On the normal POI front, I downloaded from another site some files with a kml and kns suffix which puts icons on the map but they have a shared bmp file which is rather useful. I would rather use the POI's from here that have the associated bmp file with them but theses are not kml or kns.
Any ideas please?
Doug
Pocketgps
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed from your posts that you seem to change your gps about every other week Laughing

Why so many Question
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhmmmmmmmmmmmm.... boredom! I think this one is to stay - at least my wife says or i might be missing bits of my anatomy!

Think i have sorted out the problem with the spud file. Dug up my old thread where I had the same problem and Sally-Ann helped me. Will follow that one.
Still want to add the other POI's from here to the unit if anyone has any ideas?
Doug
Smile
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dougprocter,
If I understand correctly, you have (or will have) POI's in one format and you wish to change them to a different format so that your Beckler will load them?

If this is correct try either PoiEdit or PoiEditor. Both programs change file formats of POI's, One is PC based and you will have to download it to your PC, the other is on-line based and does it on the fly. Can't remember which one is which though but fairly sure both do change files to the GogleMaps .kml format.

Not being familiar with iGO nor Beckler, I fear that this information may be of little value.

Good luck, AliOnHols.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for that. Think I have done it now, just need a speed camera to test them with.
Doug
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug
The .spdb file is the file that Igo generates from the PGPSW .txt file. The .spud file is where your user input speedcams go so is zero length unless you enter your own speedcams..
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Doug
The .spdb file is the file that Igo generates from the PGPSW .txt file. The .spud file is where your user input speedcams go so is zero length unless you enter your own speedcams..

Thanks. Funny, I generated a .spdf file of 138Kb but when I did a simulated run past a Gatso, nothing came up. With the TomTom POI's you need a bmp file as well as the ova one.
How does this .spdf file information show up on the map i.e. do you get a speed icon? And do you need to delete the .txt files after the the .spdf file is created?
Thanks
Doug
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get an icon for all the speed cams in the spdb and spud file all the time, (Zoom level permitting). I assume that your spdf file type is a mistype for spdb as I've not heard of the typr spdf.
The software does not alert for a cam on flyover or simulate, but the icons should show and exactly what it looks like depends on the skin, and what icon the skin designer has used. I believe in the standard skin, you need a GPS fix before you can enable cams. The alert is a popup box with an icon depicting the cam type, its speed and distance to go. Specs only pop up when you reach them, they do not give advance warning.
dougproctor
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you again, appreciated. It was a misspelling!! I did the simulation in the office with no gps fix so perhaps that's why they did not appear.
Am going to put them back on again now and give it a run past a "real" camera. The Becker has a built in alert - would this activate for the PGPSW cameras?
Regards
Doug
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug.
The camera icons should appear on the map all the time regardless of alert settings, even without a fix. The menu command to turn on the alerts is something like Settings ~ Warnings ~ Speed Camera Warning. The last one is only visible when you have a fix for reasons best known to Igo.
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dougprocter and M8TJT, please satisfy my curiosity here.

When I looked at buying a Beckler SatNav about a year ago I decided not to because I thought it wouldn't let me import my own POI's from an external source, i.e. Safety Cam databases. I assumed, probably wrongly, that it had something to do with being manufactured close to Switzerland and that they would lose sales if Safety Cams could be added.

Have Beckler changed their policy on this or have you found a work-around or should I have bought a Beckler?
SatMap Active 10 & 20.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: