Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Duplicate POI Categories
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Duplicate POI Categories

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Duplicate POI Categories Reply with quote

Let me first of all say how impressed I am with the huge and varied number of Categories and POIs there are here.

I use quite a lot of the UK ones, since I only have the UK and ROI map on my 520.

There do appear, however, to be a couple of duplicated categories that have caused one or two minor issues with me:

1. Under 'Historical & Cultural' there is a sub cat 'Lighthouse' with 1 item dated 2008-06-28. Under 'Landmark' there is also a sub cat 'Lighthouse' with 75 items, dated 2008-03-25. I downloaded the 75 items one day and at another time, I missed the Landmark category and downloaded the Lighthouse file from Historical and Cultural. Needless to say, the 75 items were overwritten by the one item.

2. Not quite the same, but under 'Fuel' there is an 'Independent' sub cat and the same sub cat name appears under 'Pharmacy', so even if both sub cats are downloaded at the same time, one may be overwritten by the other, or the icon for one is given to both, which can be confusing.

I've got over that one by renaming the Fuel .OV2 and .bmp files to InedpendentFuel.OV2 and IndependentFuel.bmp

That's OK if I remember to do it, but if these could be changed at some time, I'm sure it would be beneficial to all. I know it will be to me!

Thanks for considering this request and keep up the great work.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the Lighthouse it's in the wrong country. Rolling Eyes The lat/long shows as somewhere in Australia.

Your problem with the Fuel category. Most users will load the Fuel locations as combined subcategories POI, and probably the Chemist set the same. In that situation there would be no conflict.

How do you use the Filling Station locations?

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Richard,

Normally, I select all the sub categories for fuel and then when I have installed them, I show every one under Show POI on Map, but I only warn for Tesco Fuel, so I get my popints on my Clubcard.

Similarly, the same goes for the Pharmacy categoery, but this time, because my wife has a Boots card, I only warn when Boots are on the route.

May be a daft idea, but it works for me.

Cheers, Ric
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair comment. Sometimes it's good that we're not all the same.

And we can all learn from the different ways of utilising such as this.

frenchdicky
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too would like to add my thanks those who are compiling /administering this POI database. It appears to be an enormous project ,especially if more members start inputting their local knowledge.

I have added a few from my own area ( without I might add having read fully the instructions as laid out ) Having now reread these I hope my future submissions will be more accurate.

I do however have a couple of queries which have confused me

a) Are the categories and subcategories set in stone, as I have been unable to fit many sites into into an appropriate place.
An example is
National Seal Sanctuary, Qweek (Attraction - Aquarium) ID:199095.
This you will see is not really appropriate as "Aquarium" but I could find nothing better ( my thinking was that seals would pretty well full of fish most of the time, especially in a sanctuary). Maybe "Zoo" would have been better but still not quite right. In any case I cannot amend it. See (b) below

Would it be possible to add "Other" as a subcategory for each category to mop up those sites which don't fit exactly.

(I notice there is already a Category "Other" , so maybe this has already been examined. But I wonder how many people download this "Other" category.I have not.

b) On some of my submissions the ID has not been underlined and therefore unable to be amended by others in the future if necessary.
National Seal Sanctuary, Qweek (Attraction - Aquarium) ID:199095 for example.
But
Harrowbarrow, Rising Sun (Shopping - Other - Garden Centre) ID:199104 was OK
Is this an error in my inputting ?

Sorry to add to your workload.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Other POIs, Other POI selection is purely for those locations that don't 'fit' into an existing category/subcategory.

After reviewing it may be that they are slotted into an existing group, or a new subcategory may be created.

The ID number is underlined when the location is in the downloadable DB. If it's not underlined then it is still pending waiting for review for some reason.

In the example you gave it is probably being decided, along with several 100 more, on whether to give it a new subcategory, for the very reasons you mentioned.

frenchdicky
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that extra info.
It clarifies the "Other" category for me.
I will attempt to put more info in comments column when category etc is not clear on my further submissions.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richard345 wrote:

Normally, I select all the sub categories for fuel and then when I have installed them, I show every one under Show POI on Map, but I only warn for Tesco Fuel, so I get my popints on my Clubcard.

In cases like this, would it not make sense to download the Tesco Fuel as a single file and then download ALL the rest fuel category EXCEPT Tescos as one combined file?

That would give you two categories which you can handle differently but would reduce the load on the processor a lot. Smile
richard345
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Andy_P I'll have a look at that way and see how it goes.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard before you submit would you change Qweek to Gweek, it would be most helpfull.
frenchdicky
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How stupid am I ?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richard345 wrote:
Cheers Andy_P I'll have a look at that way and see how it goes.

Should have mentioned, you could either re-download from here, adjusting the categories as you wish; or you could combine what you've already got using something like POIEdit.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
Quote:
In cases like this, would it not make sense to download the Tesco Fuel as a single file and then download ALL the rest fuel category EXCEPT Tescos as one combined file?

This is the way i use them if i want specific categories it does save on the number of entries and gives some individuality if required, I suppose it is a compromise but neccesary to fit into the POI number limitations, but at least it gives the best of both worlds.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: