Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Have TT breached their own terms with the new policy on map
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Have TT breached their own terms with the new policy on map
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
disney_cjd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Have TT breached their own terms with the new policy on map Reply with quote

Also posted in the US tomTom forums.

See the threads in TomTom News on this. Basically if you have say a 720 and you bought and paid for a map for the 920 you will no longer now get any support or updates for this, not a map share updates. They are only alowing maps for the designated device which is mad.

I have checked the terms of sale and it would appear TT have breached their own terms. Here is my question to support:

"Sirs

You appear to have breached your own General Terms for Online Sales available at http://www.tomtom.com/legal/?Page=GeneralTCOS by stopping support and updates to the North American 2GB maps I ordered, paid for and installed from you on 21 January 2008.

Specially at the end of Clause 6b it says:

"6) Licence, Copyright & Confidentiality
b) TomTom reserves the right, with or without notice, to discontinue update, upgrade and supplement services provided to you or made available to you through the use of the Software or Content, unless the provision of such updates, upgrades or supplements forms an integral part of the Product, as indicated by TomTom at the time of sale."

Now it is very clear that MapShare updates and support are indeed an integral part of any map and are sold with this representation made to your customers.

Therefore, please remove the restriction you have placed on my Home account regarding this map purchase. A refund is really of little help as I need a Sat Nav unit with both UK and USA maps, which I had quite legally until you made this change.

Sincerely"

They will probably tell me tough Censored but lets see.

Please do NOT use alternative spellings to disguise swearing. PaulB2005
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read this twice and still don't understand the issue you are trying to complain of?
disney_cjd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Darren.

OK, so I have a 520T. I bought the North American 2GB maps which are listed as for the 720 but work fine on teh 520T with a 2GB SD card.

I tried to run an update tonight and got the error on Update my Go, about you can not download this map (NA 2GB) for this device and I was not allowed to do any mapshare updates etc.

So, because the map I have is a 720 map, and I dont have that device, even though I paid for it, installed it and have been using it. I can no longer update it.

So I checked the terms. It was clear that all maps and devices are sold with MapShare as a big part of it. So they have pulled this and it looks to me like they cant.

Its really quite Censored of TT to do this. The more I read about them the more I see that they have a great program but appalling CS and support and really screw their customers.

C

AGAIN Please do NOT use alternative spellings to disguise swearing. PaulB2005
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps an official response from TomTom is called for on this issue, it could be a simple programming mistake, a genuine over sight or deliberate action who knows.

Once we know the answer to the above perhaps it will be possible to "fool" the 720 to spoof TT Home into thinking it has a 920 connected thus enabling the download of MapShare updates etc (I hope common sense prevails, and doing this will not be necessary) - Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah I see now, I will seek clarification on this from TomTom. I suspect this is a simple mistake though.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone else is confused, Disney has got the same topic running in three places now. Here and at:
520T, 720T with US Maps - or something else? (and swap maps?
and:
Have TT breached their own terms with the new policy on map

I've got a question open with TT about this at the moment. It is in "research" state.

Also, If you've downloaded and installed the map already (as you say), you aren't exactly screwed.
If you have got backups then you are fine.
disney_cjd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ta Andy

I have a question out to TT as well.

I would hope the sensible approach is leave all those that have maps alone and if they want to close it down then thats up to them but thats going forward. The thing here is that we are not in breach of any terms by using a different models maps. All maps have been paid for. All TT are doing is pushing you to buy something you do not want and if you don't want the smaller maps then buy a more expensive TT.

I really want the MapShare working on the US maps. The amount of roadworks and construction going on in Florida means that it helps keep me updated and on the right road!!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not having any problem getting mapshare updates for my "wrong" map. The only things Home is stopping me doing are buying it again, or downloading it again.
I can still re-install from the place it stored it on my PC when downloading.

As for the Mapshare updates, do you realise you have to start Home with the INTERNAL memory to get Mapshare updates for any map stored there, and RESTART Home with it set to use the SD card slot to get updates for any map stored there?
Hoppy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see as TT has got a leg to stand on we brought the maps legally took the chance that the 720 map would work on the 520 and paid more money for the download of a bigger map.

It must be an error on TT's part and will be fixed very soon I am sure.
NA 2GB v8.45
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom have replied in respect of this issue:
Quote:
We can confirm that HOME 2.2 will give you an error message if you try to install a downloadable map that is not suitable for your device.

e.g. A Premium Map (with text to speech voices) on a ONE 3rd Edition.

The same error message would occur vice versa, if an attempt is made to install a low end map on a premium device.

According to our 2nd Line Support, the error message would be: “This map is not suitable for your device”. And you should not be allowed to install the map. A customer who has accidently purchased the wrong map can contact our support to see if we can provide the correct map for their device.

TomTom also stated that with regard to downloaded maps, the only way to install an incorrect downloaded map would be to extract and install it manually and not use HOME?
Quote:
If however, the map is installed on the device, map share updates should still be offered. HOME only checks what map you are using and what application version and from this offers the correct map share updates to suit.

I'm not sure if this entirely answers your points but it may suggest that the issue lies elsewhere, particularly as AndyP also has the “wrong” map but is still getting the updates?
Hoppy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All that seems a load of rubbish to me, I used TT Home to download and install the 720 US map to my SD Card in my 520 it worked fine and still works fine, except for Mapshare. if I select my SD Card then go to Mapshare it says I have no map installed on my device. I think that contridicts everything in the above email.
NA 2GB v8.45
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you are having a problem but Andy is not, so the problem and solution is far from clear!
disney_cjd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Well you are having a problem but Andy is not, so the problem and solution is far from clear!

Afriad mine is the same.

I can not do any MapShare updates on the SD card with the NA maps on it.

This is what I do

- i dock the 520 and selected the internal memory which has the new GB Mmaps (although it calls it the UK ones).

- i run Update, it runs the quickgps fix

- i then hit update again and it runs some mapshare updated.

- i then change device and select the SD card

- hit update my go and get the error "this item can not be installed on this device" and the update button is greyed out

- so I cant hit it to run any upgrades.
disney_cjd
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update (and I am not happy)

TomTom Support just replied by saying that they have swapped my North American 2GB map for the correct map for my device which is the crappy USA & Canada map.

Even though the NA map worked fine on the 520, they decided to stop it downloading mapshares and they decided to swap my map for a not as detailed one.

They have us by the short and curleys and I am really not happy.

Andy, you heard anything from them on your maps?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, same thing happened.
They gave me the "2GB" version as well (If anyone is confused, TT call it "2GB" meaning that it fits on a 2GB machine, not that it is 2GB in size)

I've now got the "Large" one on an SD card and the 2GB one on the flash memory.
But Mapshare is SO flakey at the moment I'm not sure WHAT the situation is. As of a few days ago I seemed to still be getting mapping corrections for both (old Home version -had to select correct storage location; new Home version - had to switch map to the one to update).
Not had any POI corrections in weeks.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: