Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Destinator OP Ver 5.1.83 - configuring Auto Alerts question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Destinator OP Ver 5.1.83 - configuring Auto Alerts question
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ron21
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Destinator OP Ver 5.1.83 - configuring Auto Alerts question Reply with quote

I've got Destinator OP Ver 5.1.83 running on a Goodmans GNAV10. I have downloaded the UK camera data from this web site and found the thread 'Destinator 3 & speed cameras' and the comments by 'Gimp' very useful, but I am having no success at setting up individual distance alerts for each category.
At present in 'Favorites' I have two Categories they are :-
My Favorites
Auto Alert 1
When I click on 'tools' then 'settings' and alter 'Alert Distance' it alters it for both 'Categories'.
I would like to set up a first alert distance of 50 yards for My Favorites and a first alert distance of 600 yards for Auto Alert 1
The instruction book leads me to believe that this can be done !! Where am I going wrong ?
Any info would be gratefully recieved.
Regards Ron
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron,
I share your woes on this one. I'm using Destinator PN and its the same. Sloppy programing at its best! You highlight auto alert 1 and set it. Yes it affects both. Then you navigate to a favourite and it loses all the settings. This INFURIATES me! In the UK I reckon the speed camera alert options are a big reason for many to buy Navigation software. The fact that it is a VERY weak point in Destinator isn't doing them any favours. The process of setting it up and getting the right bitmaps, sounds, etc is longwinded. Then when favourites are active it takes nearly a minute to start the program. WTF?

Had so many issues I've had to create a fake speed camera location on my street to test it. Still don't fully undersatand whats wrong as there seem to be several issues working together to make it sh*te :-(

I've emailed Destinator but they're hardly flooding my inbox with replies.

I'm pretty patient with software but I'm running out of it with Destinator PN. I've tried to find some software that would run behind it and alert me of cameras. But none of them work the way you want them to. It looks like lots of the developers are doing 3rd party stuff for Tom Tom and ignoring Destinator. (lots of the sites I've visited blame the Destinator SDK for not working!).

You get the feeling that the Destinator team are actually Bin-men by day and do this as a part time job! You never see them post here or follow our woes.

Sorry I can't give you any help but at least we can moan together!
TheRock
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reseting of the favorites alerts is a bug.

Two things seems to help:
newer leave the favotites menu without doing anything with them. (like set as origin)

Modify the DestinatorMSG.Inf file:
IDN_DYNPOI_ALERTED_DISTANCES="0;50;100;400 etc.
Swapping the "0" with the wanted alarm setting should secure at least one warning. (the second will be reseted)

Rock
Ron21
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="jimbo_hippo"]Ron,
I share your woes on this one. I'm using Destinator PN and its the same. Sloppy programing at its best! You highlight auto alert 1 and set it. Yes it affects both. Then you navigate to a favourite and it loses all the settings. This INFURIATES me!

Jimbo can you clarify what you mean in the above quote (underlined).

The problem I have is that when you specify an alert distance for one category it alters it for all categories.

The Rock You to state that the resetting of the 'Favorites' is a bug,

am I missing something here !

Regards
Ron
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest Ron, I'm still trying to establish a pattern as to why and when it drops the settings. There are NO speed cameras in my town that I am aware of so I've created a fake one on my nearby road but I need to do some constructive tests. Neighbours now think I'm a right idiot. Up down, turn around......

I'll see if I can be more specific. I'm in phase one at the moment which is just leaving it when I pop out to see if it forgets the distances. Not navigating at the moment and it seems to have kept my 400yds first alert and 100 yds second.

I'll report back.
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just done a test by creating a favourite down the road. Navigated there and my idea that navigating to a favourite cancelled the settings isn't true. I also used the home button to come back and that hasn't blown the settings either. I have first alert at 400 and second at 100 and it seems to be sitting steady.

Just done a soft reset and that hasn't affected it either. Also did soft reset with Destinator open and its still there! I'll try repeating the process with other distances and see if that knock them out.
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just done a test by creating a favourite down the road. Navigated there and my idea that navigating to a favourite cancelled the settings isn't true. I also used the home button to come back and that hasn't blown the settings either. I have first alert at 400 and second at 100 and it seems to be sitting steady.

Just done a soft reset and that hasn't affected it either. Also did soft reset with Destinator open and its still there! I'll try repeating the process with other distances and see if that knock them out.
Ron21
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: For your info Reply with quote

Jimbo, regarding your last postings in this thread you might want to read Post subject: Destinator PN + Speed Camera Database.

Regards
Ron
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ron. Bit of a dual thread thing going on here but I think people will look at both now.

I've been running round the doors locally for a week so I've been able to do some constructive testing. My fake speed camera has had a battering! Bad news is, I was careful not to change anything and just did general operation stuff. I was trying to work through methodically but then a couple of days ago I came home to no warnings and the distances had reset to 50 and deselected. Couldn't see what I'd done to make that happen so back to square one. Just need to identify something I can repeat and prove. But we'll nail it I'm sure. Or we'll use the third party program from the German site to save us some grief!
Holux GPSslim
Ron21
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimbo, As a said in the other thread I'm not getting this problem that you are having with alerts resetting, but do experience other problems that are reported with PN. I,m running Destinator OP. From reading threads there also appears to be minor variations with file locations between the two versions. Has there been minor changes made to the OP version ?. I assume OP is equal to or newer than PN.
It would be nice to see some postings from OP users to bounce ideas off.

Jimbo, Regarding my Post subject: Destinator PN – Gremlins in ‘Favorites’ I assume you have read this post. If you managed to follow its contents can you pass comment if you are experiencing the same.
Or again is this a variation between PN and OP.

Regards
Ron
jimbo_hippo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been avoiding changing settings in the interests of getting a result with the other stuff. But since I can't nail it down anyway maybe I'll give it a go at the weekend.
Holux GPSslim
I2C
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding alert settings loss,

our guys here agree upon the fact that setting is lost when you neter the general favourites menu and leave it without doing anything else, or by keining in a new favourite.
you preserve the setting by choosing a favourite to navigate or by entering the setup a svaing.
I2C
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grrrr ... no chance to correct typos, do i need admin upgrade here?
Ron21
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had this reply from Destinator Tech Support today, thought I would share it with the forum.

Regards
Ron

Thank you for your email.
You have a question regarding the setting of alerts.

We are currently working on a solution for this. For the moment, we can't
tell you when the patch will be ready. Please visit our homepage
www.destinatoreurope.com regularly to get more infos about this.

Should you have any other question, please do not hesitate to contact us
again.

Kind regards
Destinator Service Center
i. A. Aline Havard
Combase AG Customer Service Center
Telefon / phone: +49 180 5 123 012
Navholic
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somehow the Cusu answers seem to be the same all over the world.

For now you always have to leave the favorites with saving the alert settings, otherwise they will be erased.
To use the favorites as speed trap alert is not a good way anyhow , it increases the start time considerably and occupy's ram.

It is much better to use a seperate programm like POIObserver (Freeware from www.navifriends.com) which works independent and can be stored on a SD or SF card.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Destinator All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: