Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Updating Ipaq System and TTN3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Updating Ipaq System and TTN3
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a problem with 3.07 slowing my system down ( in map view)although I have a wired gps mouse and 2.06 gps driver.. I see you have Sprite backup premium..I used this to go back to 3.03 with a previously saved backup instead of a hard reset and everything is back to normal !
dave
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah that's probably what I will do too - don't know why I said hard reset - was just a bit fed up that the system is behaving as it is

would like to know why it is however - working fine before upgrade and now not - hmmmmmmm
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most of us strive for something better and sometimes end up with something worse! I don't realy know what the advantages of 3.07 are supposed to be but it all comes down to "don't try an fix wot aint broke" Smile Wink Btw did you get regedit to run Question if not I have the original zip file download that used if you want to try It!
Dave
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I couldn't get regedit to run for me - shame - how big is the file? if not too bad you can email it to me at steve.gillenNOSPAM@ntlworld.com (remove the NOSPAM first of course). This all started because I had a problem and thought it was a good time to sort everything out and do the upgrades etc - Oh well here's hoping that TTN 5 will work if I upgrade to that later in the year

Cheers for your help

Steve
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expansys being the supplier of the Pocket PC Techs' side grips doesn't surprise me, as they are the main reseller of other Pocket PC Techs' products in the UK (such as the excellent WriteSHIELD).

Both my Pocket PCs wear WriteSHIELD AG; I think the AG version is better than the newer C2 version for machines used for in-car navigation. AG stands for "anti glare" - it's somewhat anti-reflective.

Your iPAQ may have a 2 year warranty - most UK English version iPAQs (part number on the box ending in #ABU) do, but not all.

So far as the other issues go, I don't have or use an iPAQ h2210 myself - my main system is as in my signature, my older system is based around an iPAQ h3970. If 3.07 isn't stable on your h2210, use an older version, such as 3.03 - as you're not using TomTom Traffic it doesn't matter (some older Traffic aware versions of Navigator don't work any more, as the Traffic server was changed). I would try to avoid 3.00 or 3.01, as the address lookup is broken in those versions.

Navigator 5 uses totally different code; I'm hoping that the stability problems with Navigator 3 on many iPAQ h2210 setups disappear with Navigator 5.

GPSAssist is good - but I'd wait to see what happens with Navigator 5 now. It has some features that I'll still use with Navigator 5 if I can - such as the excellent POIAssist, which allows you to synchronise POIs directly on your Pocket PC (in my case over my wireless network at home).

However, much of the functionality depends on Navigator SDK support - and, at this stage, my understanding is that we don't know what Navigator SDK support there'll be in Navigator 5. A basic POI warning facility is built into all "common platform" versions of Navigator.

David
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David, This is the reply I received Back from TomTom regarding TT5 and 3rd party add-ons.
Discussion Thread
Response 14/03/2005 10.44 AM
Dear Mr Print,

We do not yet have enough information regarding TomTom PLUS services speed cameras to let you know the full details of this database so keep an eye on our website.

You should be able to use 3rd party POIs BUT if this is a third party like GPS Assist or POI warner we do not know if this will work or if these companies will make a compatible plugging for our new software. Please contact those companies for this information.

We hope to have answered your question to your satisfaction.
With best regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team
Customer 12/03/2005 01.24 PM
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have now restored system using Sprite back to TTN 3.00 (see software list below) and all is tickety boo again - I will, however give David's suggestion of trying Version 3.03 and see what the outcome of this is.

Question however - do the TomTom upgrades have to match? i.e. do I have to upgrade to GPS 3.03 as well as TT 3.03, or can you sort of mix and match the 2? <Steve in learning mode now>

Regedit went on fine and now works - grateful thanks to Dave (oddsock)

Thanks again

Steve
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no need whatsoever for version numbers to match - it's only recently that they have kept in step.

Navigator 2 2.24 (which was the last Navigator 2 version) went with something like GPS 2.07 or 2.08 at release.

If Navigator 3.03 works well on your system, that would be a good compromise - hopefully no problems as you've observed with 3.07, and the improved address lookup behaviour.

David
Mariner
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steveg wrote:
Hmmmmm - OK here I am back with this one again - I finally got to use the system "in anger" for the first time last night since doing the previously mentioned upgrades to 3.07.

All seemed to be going well until about 5 minutes into the journey - navigation stopped and the bluetooth manager screen came on screen (blue light on Fortuna stopped flashing) I clicked with my finger on the clip-on icon and everything started again -"Ah, a glitch thinks I" Not so! it seemed that every 5 minutes or so - sometimes a bit more sometimes a bit less - it would do the same thing. The most annoying part was when I was just a few streets from my destination and the darned thing did it again and this time would not come back without a re boot Grrr.

Ok I got there, but this is not what was going on before, where it all worked with no problems at all - so unless someone has some wonderful piece of magic to suggest I think it looks like a hard reset and reloading everything back to TT 3.0 as it was.

Would this be the problem David was alluding to previously about the 2210/Bluetooth and maps on an SD card?

Any help gatefully received (as usual)

Steve

I've had the same problem, try turning off the "Show POI" in the options for TT3, that works for me. Although you wont see the icons on the screen, TT3 will still alert you when nearing a POI.

Clive
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Clive, but as I said I have already reverted to a know to be working set up where everything I need to do works, and besides I would really rather have the icons on screen if I can.

I shall, this weekend try version 3.03 however

Thanks for the input however

Steve
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for information

I tried the update to Version 3.03 over the weekend and had exactly the same effect as described when I tried version 3.07 so I reverted back to version 3.00 which as I said works fine for me.

Its a bit of a isn't it?

Looks like I will have to wait to upgrade to TTN 5 and hope that this will all work well for me - although I shall probably wait on the sidelines and see if anyone else reports problems before diving in and testing the water

Cheers

Steve

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: