Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which GPS should I buy
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which GPS should I buy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sapphire125
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 11:14 pm    Post subject: Which GPS should I buy Reply with quote

Hi,
I am new to this GPS thing and I would like to buy one, but I am completely lost with regards to what. 8O

I live in the Scottish borders and drive around a lot of small towns and villages over an area of approx 1800 square miles, I would like to be able to work out the quickest and best way to go.

Are there any hand helds that would do this job ?

I have looked at a GPSmap60CS but not sure if it would give me the detail I would like (nobody around here sells them so no chance of a demo) I also quite like the look of a STREETPILOT III DELUX but I see they are no longer made so hard to come by (always EBay I suppose).

Can anyone offer advice and rough guide to price I should pay.

Cheers
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about something like TomTom GO?
mantunes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing to do is decide about the main choice:

- Handheld GPSr (like the ones you've referred)

or

- PDA + GPSr + Maps and driving/navigating software?

If you have, or intend to buy, a PDA then the choice is the second one.

I'm new in this site too but i have and operate a handheld GPSr (Magellan Meridien Platinum) for three years and i think the handheld GPSr has one minor advantage but some more disadvantages.

Advantages: Robustness - Designed for outdoor activities (i'm Geocacher).

Disadvantages: Mapping/Navigation software and maps totaly proprietary. You have Mapsend software AND maps for Magellan and MapSource software AND maps for Garmin from the unit manufacturers. You have no other options to get navigation software and maps available for a regular user.

If you decide for the handheld unit. The answer for your question is Yes the detail is very good. In medium cities (Lisbon) all the streets are reproduced in both the Garmin or Magellan mapping softwares. In the rural/interior country (Portugal) ALL roads are reproduced, even the minor ones. The problem is with the new highways constructed during the last years... But this is a mater of time to have the maps updated...

Hope this helps.

PS: I have a Qtek 9090 and just ordered the new BT-338. :D

"I'm not confused, i'm well mixed"
snooper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just purchased a ipaq rz1710 bundle from PC world for £299.00. This bundle comes equiped with Tom Tom Ver 4.4. I live in Newcastle and visit rural parts of Northumberland. TT4.4 has been excellent locally. Sound investment. :D
BBB
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All IMHO:

iPAQ based GPS with
BT GPS receiver and datalogging built in (if your lucky you may just be able to get a Pretec at www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk)
- draw back = what to do when the Li-on dies?

On the other hand is you are skilled the present NAVMAN 4420 bundle is actually very good value but omits a datalogging feature (GPSU is an excellent GPS data utility program)

With an iPAQ you can use streetwise GPS functionality and also have topographical functionality via separate software.

Streetwise GPS and topo GPS are inherently different

Drawback of iPAQ: humidity, moisture and water resistance - there ain't none unless you purchase a special w/p housing

The 60CS is w/p but IMHO streetwise navigation is best done using voice prompts - you really don't want to be jiggling a GPS unit in one hand, steering wheel in the other

My tuppen'orth
Googlebot
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snopper :
Quote:
TT4.4 has been excellent locally

Does this mean the new map has ALL the A69 in now? Previously we had about 800yards missing west bound near Heddon on the Wall.
Holux CR-100

Soon to be replaced with TT720 (maybe....)
Fifer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another PDA alternative to consider is Destinator 3. I've found it to be excellent around rural Angus and Fife and I'll check out the Borders next week as we are travelling to the Lake District via the A7 with a very lazy stop-over at Melrose en-route. In Fife and Angus, it even shows up a lot of farm roads which was really unexpected. As of this morning (courtesy of today's POI-Edit update) it can use the full range of this site's POI downloads too.
sapphire125
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for these ideas lots more to think about, a lot more units availible than I first thought.

Fifer:the A7 is the backbone of my area so it would be very interesting to see what Destinator 3 makes of it feedback on this one would be appreciated.
Heribata
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: Olá mantunes Reply with quote

Sorry to everyone...but i want to talk with mantunes in portuguese!!!

mantunes será que me podes fornecer o teu email para te colocar uma questão!!??? Obrigado!!!
O meu é agostinhosoares@gmail.com

Once again sorry to everyone, but i need the contact of mantunes

Agostinho
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Which GPS should I buy Reply with quote

sapphire125 wrote:
I have looked at a GPSmap60CS but not sure if it would give me the detail I would like (nobody around here sells them so no chance of a demo) I also quite like the look of a STREETPILOT III DELUX but I see they are no longer made so hard to come by (always EBay I suppose).

Can anyone offer advice and rough guide to price I should pay.

Welcome

Check out the prices at any of the other retailers who advertise here. Their prices are fairly good. Watch out that you are getting a European Atlantic Basemap Garmin, there are American versions which have a different (Americas) basemap. The basemap is a rough outline map that the GPS uses when there are no detailed maps loaded.

Also be aware that the GPSmap60CS needs City Select Maps for it, I don't think they are included in the price.

If you are keen on buying a Garmin, then I would recommend the Garmin Quest (portable, waterproof, runs on batteries) about £350 or StreetPilot 2610 (bigger screen, with remote control, needs power from the car) about £550.

Don't get a Street Pilot III, they are way out of date and you will get the old out-of-date maps.

Make sure you ask about the free upgrade to City Select Version 7 from Garmin when you buy your GPS.

Map coverage of the UK is 100% although you will find the occasional error in the map data. Have a look at Garmin's online map viewer to check out some minor roads and points of interest for areas that you know (you have to zoom in quite a way before some small roads appear) http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/cityselectEuro.jsp

You can't get topographical maps (like Ordinance Survey maps) for the Garmin GPS units, you can only use Garmin's maps. If you want OS maps then you will need a Pocket PC based system.

You can't load the speed camera database into Garmin GPS units either (if you are that way inclined).

Other than that, they are a very good reliable sat nav which is just at home on the road, water, trail or flying.

Good luck!
Fifer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the A7 is the backbone of my area so it would be very interesting to see what Destinator 3 makes of it feedback on this one would be appreciated.

I'll post something on Wednesday (9th) or Thursday (10th) after we get home. Hopefully you can wait until then?
Fifer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I used Destinator to navigate the route split into the following sections (the spilts were because we were stopping off at places en-route; I probably could've used waypoints instead):

Glenrothes - Edinburgh (Ocean Terminal).
Ocean Terminal - Melrose.
Melrose - Howton (Ullswater, Cumbria)
Howton - Ambleside.
Ambleside - Howton.
Howton - Carlisle.
Carlisle - Glenrothes.

Destinator performed perfectly. On a couple of occasions, it chose a route which wasn't the one I'd have chosen and I went with my choice but Destinator quickly re-routed and stayed with me. A couple of other times, I trusted Destinator when it took me off the route I'd have chosen and it found a better way than that which I knew. I am very happy with my choice of software. Incidentally, I loaded the Safety Camera POI database and it found every one I knew about plus a couple in Edinburgh which I didn't.
sapphire125
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information, I am heading up to Edinburgh this weekend to try and have a look at a few units and hopefully narrow down the field.

thanks again :D
Fifer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be aware that Destinator are announcing Destinator PN ( which will replace Destinator 3) at CeBIT, scheduled for an April launch. Just my luck for the product to be replaced 3 weeks after purchase. Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: