Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman 4420 BT problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman 4420 BT problem
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nbusbridge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Navman 4420 BT problem Reply with quote

Just acquired a 4420 for Xmas, to partner with my iPaq 2210.
Can't seem to get the BT connection to stay up.
Keeps losing it and then giving a message that the

The Bluetooth Radio failed to turn ON due to insufficient driver memory available. You must perform a normal reset before you can turn ON the Bluetooth Radio.

I've uninstalled practically all the programes on the iPAQ - still seems to happen.
Even from a hard reset with only SmartST 3.0 installed

Any ideas ?
Help Sad
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do a soft reset then try turning the Bluetooth on before launching SmartST do you still get the same error?
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
nbusbridge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes - same error.
I always launch BT first.
Then whether I initiate the connection through the BT manager or let SmatST do it, I still get the same problem.
On occaision I have managed to get as far as getting a lock and setting a destination, but hten the BT stops again.

cheers
Nick
widget
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you used the bluetooth on the iPAQ for anything else yet? Does that suffer from the same problem? If so, then it maybe problem with your iPAQ bluetooth adapter?

If you know your iPAQ is ok, then its either problem with 4420 hardware or software on Startst v3.

I recently purchased 4420 with smartst v3 for pocket PC (run it on ipaq rx3715) and the bluetooth connection appears to stay connected ok.... well, that is for as long as it takes until SmartST v3 crashes!!! I've found the software to be very buggy, and the installation was awful too. Personally, the software just didnt seem as though it was really tested or ready for launch in my opinion. But maybe I've just been unlucky. Sadly I've had no reply to my emails to Navman or my phonecalls, so I'm not sure what the problem is.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thought occurs - I know Navman software has historically not been as tough on storage cards as TomTom software has - but you may have your maps on a faulty storage card, widget.

It would be interesting if you posted the brand, size, type (SD or CompactFlash) and any markings on the back of the storage card you use for your maps.

David
widget
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SD card I'm using is the one which came with the Navman 4420 SmtartST v3 bundle. they included a 128MB SD card with the maps preloaded... It looks like an ATP flash card, AF128MM. I would imagine that this card should be ok since it is the one Navman supply me with?!?

Tonight I am going to try and hardware reset my iPAQ, and install Navman on a totally clean Windows Mobile 2003SE installation. I'm also going to move the maps onto a suerfast 1GB SD memory card. I may also try installing and running the SmartST program from their too - to give me more space on my storage/program memory on the main 64MB main memory on the iPAQ.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nbusbridge wrote:
I always launch BT first.
Then whether I initiate the connection through the BT manager or let SmatST do it, I still get the same problem.

I am running the same hardware as you (the 4100 receiver and iPAQ2210) but I have never experienced a Bluetooth dropout.

Have a read here about BT connections.

Widget wrote:
the bluetooth connection appears to stay connected ok.... well, that is for as long as it takes until SmartST v3 crashes!!!

... when SmartST crashes, what error messages do you get?
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
widget
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont get any error messages at all... it just closes the application. When I check in the "running programs" on my iPAQ, SmartST is not in the list, so it does actually close properly.

The strange thing is, once it has crashed, it does not recover properly because it won't then reload again; when I try to run it, it starts to load all the maps, and just before it should displat the license screen and the "i accept" button, it closes again and I am back to the today screen!!

I've completely hardware reset the iPAQ (last night) and installed SmartST from scratch on a clean Windows 2003SE. This time I installed it on an SC card, and put all the maps on there too. Everything seemed very stable, and worked perfectly well. Up until I tried to actually get SmartST to route me somewhere on a test journey in the car. I got 5 or 10 minutes in to the journey, and once again it crashed, closed the application, no error messages, and then would not reload. After leaving it for half an hour, I got it to reload and it all works fine again - but I suspect when I drive home tonight and test it again I might find it crashes half way into the journey again... I'll wait and see.

If so, I'll try hardware reseting again, and then install on the main memory, and the maps on the SD card. If this doesnt work then I give in... Sad
nbusbridge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Solved - mostly Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies.
After considerable searching of the net I have found the solution.
Hopefully this will help Widget too.

This BT stability problem has come up before. It seems that SmartST has a problem with the 2 card slots on a 2210.
It likes the maps to be on the CF card - NOT the SD card.
Since making this change it has been much better. Still a little flakey at times, but at least it's usable most of the time.
I have also reduced the baud rate of the GPS device (in SmartST) to the 34k level rather than the recommended 56k.

Hope this helps any 2210 users.
all the best
Nick
mickabb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject: BT Problem Reply with quote

I had this exact same problem, but after checking out the ipaqhq forum (worth a look), I was given the advice to install the BT update file from HP's site. Even though I had performed the more recent ROM update, I went ahead and when promted to replace existing registry files on my ipaq, I accepted.
Since performing the update I have not had any BT failures.
Hop this helps.
Regards
Mick
nbusbridge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great !
I'll do that right away.

Thanks
Nick
nbusbridge
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For other users, here is the 2210 updates page:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us/locate/105_5721.html

regards
Nick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:26 am    Post subject: ipAQ 2210 + Kit Navman 4420 (SmartST3) Reply with quote

I'hve made a PDF GUIDE to use the kit iPAQ 2210 + Navman 4420.
There is a list of problems and solutions of all people's questions. But It's only in Italian because I speak and write in English very bad.
If you are interesting of, email me!
uffe73
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Solved - mostly Reply with quote

nbusbridge wrote:

This BT stability problem has come up before. It seems that SmartST has a problem with the 2 card slots on a 2210.
It likes the maps to be on the CF card - NOT the SD card.
Since making this change it has been much better. Still a little flakey at times, but at least it's usable most of the time.

I've been using SmartST V2 with the maps on SD without too much problem, but the BIG BT problems have come when I switched to SmartST V3. I'm still using the same SD card (see my signature).

nbusbridge wrote:

have also reduced the baud rate of the GPS device (in SmartST) to the 34k level rather than the recommended 56k.

I will give that a try to see if it makes a difference.

mickabb wrote:

had this exact same problem, but after checking out the ipaqhq forum (worth a look), I was given the advice to install the BT update file from HP's site. Even though I had performed the more recent ROM update, I went ahead and when promted to replace existing registry files on my ipaq, I accepted.
Since performing the update I have not had any BT failures.

mickabb, could you send a link to the forum where I find this information? I have installed the BT patch on my iPAQ 2210 and am now running Version 1.4.1 Build 60. I'm not sure what you mean by "registry files" on your iPAQ.

I used to have some problems with BT with the V2 SW but they have become much more frequent with V3, which leads me to the conclusion that the Navman SW must be involved in some way too.
Garmin GPSMap 60CSx (SW ver. 3.70)
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For BT problems:
In espanol: http://www.navman.crambo.es/scripts/espd.dll?TV=COL&VP_U=B2NVFQ1

Faq Navman Espana
http://www.navman.crambo.es/scripts/espd.dll?TV=COL&VP_U=B2NVFAQ#4408

For all BT problems the solution is a little freeware program call BTREGTWEAK. You can find it by GOOGLE.

Andrea, 4245451 from Italy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: