Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How much memory do I need?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How much memory do I need?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gyru73
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 6:54 pm    Post subject: How much memory do I need? Reply with quote

Hello,

planning to buy a GPS receiver for my Axim x50v (64mb Ram + 128 Mb Rom). How much EXTRA memory (SD) do I need to store maps (EUROPE) and navigation software being on the safe side?

Thank you!
gyru
OBH6UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest 256Mb as a minium size for an SD card. But with prices at a near all time low would not buy below 512Mb and preferaby go for 1Gb.

In answer to your question:

TomTom 3 about 190Mb, Medion Navigator 2 about 245Mb.
OBH6UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you purchase you might want to check this sticky:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3728
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd forgotten that thread was sticky. I've just added a pointer to another more recent post of mine which mentions various troublesome SD cards.

David
gyru73
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tnx guys,
it sounds quite complicated.

If I understand, any potential problem could be avoided going for a CF instead SD. Nevertheless, I would prefer SD as I might be able to use it directly with my camera and my laptop.

It is my understanding that it would be better to stay away from Sandisk. What alternative brand would you recomend in order to be safe with my axim x5v and a BT GPS receiver?

Thank you again,
Tullio
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no absolute guarantee, but the two recent cards I've bought are both Lexar 32x (High Speed) SD, and they seem fine.

I'm intending to do some more formal tests on the Lexar 32x cards soon, but they seem to be a design either specially made for Lexar or made by Lexar themselves. If the packet is marked Made in USA (you can tell before you cut into it - look at the back), it's likely you have one of these cards - all Lexar cards reported recently seem to be one of these types, rather than Lexar's old policy of rebadging SD cards from various manufacturers.

It is worth knowing that Lexar do not provide a protective case for their SD cards, and that you have to destroy the packaging to get at the memory card inside.

You could have a look at the range from ValueFlash, who have the Lexar 32x SD cards in various sizes. If you fill in that you want to use the card with a Dell Axim X50v and, say, TomTom Navigator 3 software when you purchase (ValueFlash do ask), you should be in a strong position if you find the card doesn't work properly.

Don't buy the Integral 'High Speed' SD cards they have - if they're the card type I tested under that brand, I can break them in all the devices I tried them in.

I've no connection with ValueFlash other than as a happy customer - I did test a couple of 1GB SD cards for Rob at ValueFlash, but I paid full price for the one I kept and for return shipping for the other.

David
Ken-ES
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gyru73 wrote:
It is my understanding that it would be better to stay away from Sandisk...

I recently bought a couple of SanDisk 128mb SD cards. Neither one would format in my PC, reporting 'Bad track 0', although they would format in my Axim and Camera. Nothing wrong with my PC, it formats other makes of card.

It wouldn't be the end of the world if I lost data on my cards, but I still felt much happier to exchange them for another make anyway.
gyru73
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I would prefer to buy the card in some shop here in Italy, as if I buy through the web I may possibly pay a lot of shipping fees with potential troubles in case of compatibility problem.

I will try to search for the brand you suggest.

Thanks a lot for the info!

gyru

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: