Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom Go - can anyone help before I buy
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom Go - can anyone help before I buy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian33
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 9:52 am    Post subject: Tomtom Go - can anyone help before I buy Reply with quote

I'm on the verge of buying Tomtom Go sat nav (my first ever system) and I'm concerned at its ability to find addresses as it doesnt seem to operate on full post codes. I was in a shop yesterday and the assistant knew less than me. Basically is it easy to find :-

Whickham Golf Club, Whickham
Elder House, Milton Keynes
Leicester Railway station

If I didnt have any further info / address details

A strange choice of locations you ask, but the reason is that I've been to all of these locations recently and got lost! could the Tomtom Go have got me there?????

Ian
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very few systems will be able to find the above. You may find a golf course under POI and a railway station, but the middle one you won't. You need to put a 5 digit postcode in and also have the address if they aren't listed in the POI sub categories.

In short, you need more information.

Ask yourself a simple question... Dig out your map and ask yourself if you can find the exact above locations. Chances are you probably can't. Using a map or navigation system you will need at least postcode and road, or city/town and road to navigate to them just like you would with a map.
moggy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't buy tomtomgo if you want really want to pinpoint somewhere.
the only way to do it is to run ukpostcode which nails it exactly to wherever you need to go.
tomtomgo was desidned specifically for the american market to begin with and their postcode system is different to ours in the uk.

the better option is to buy a pda. that way you can add the extra programs like postcode search.

tomtomgo have just introduced speed camera detection but have no plans to bring out the full postcode search.
delboy0754
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian33

Take the plunge, buy a TT Go. if you have no need of a PDA, TT Go is a stand-alone GPS, and that's exactly what it does, and was designed for.

I wouldn't say it was designed for the american market, as Most Maps are for Europe.

Ease of use,, yes

Speed camera database,, yes, via a download from this site

Postcode search,, yes, up to five digits,

Using it as a "Navigational Aid" as all GPS systems are, you won't go far wrong. Far better than having a load of A to Z street maps in you glovebox.
wolfy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what I do if I can't find a POI that I want in TTG is just have a look on the net, you can usually find more info about the place you want to go to, such as the Street name, then once you've got that, away you go!!
Ian33
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:43 am    Post subject: Thanks to all for replies Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for all your replies. I have come to the conclusion that the TTG wont do everything I want, but all things copnsidere I'm going to take the plunge. I'll be asking what additional software I need to get next - but first things first, wheres that credit card!
tomcat76
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks to all for replies Reply with quote

Ian33 wrote:
Thanks everyone for all your replies. I have come to the conclusion that the TTG wont do everything I want, but all things copnsidere I'm going to take the plunge. I'll be asking what additional software I need to get next - but first things first, wheres that credit card!

Like yourself Ian, I am new to SatNav... it's a great little unit...
Easy to get to grips with, stick it your pocket battery last's for... well about 5 -6hours for me.. then if it does die, plug in the car charger..
Hunt round for the best price..
clivers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the cheapest place ive seen tit is on ebuyer

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=62376

£413 in vat + del
clivers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not tit Laughing Out Loud
typo

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: