Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - start 60 help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

start 60 help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cliffbrown
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: start 60 help Reply with quote

Hi all hope someone can help I have just purchased a start 60 with the intention on getting the Camper map as collietrainer has done on a different thread. My question is as I am not used to myhome yet would I be better to remove the Europe map from the device and load the camper one on, or download it and put it onto a microsd card, both of which I dont know how to do. any help would be appreciated

ps after I installed the pgps cameras I connected it to myhome and lost the warnings, is this likely to happen everytime or isit a one off?
collietrainer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Start 60 Reply with quote

Hi Cliff,
I dont know much about the Start 60 TT ...but I saw your post and went to have a look to see if the Europe Camper map is available for your device on the TT pages - and it is available on the drop down menu. But you probably already knew this Cool

I think the answer to your question will depend on how much memory the 60 has available. Is there enough space to fit both maps? Dont forget the Europe Camper does not over right the map already on the device. But I suspect I will be able to delete the Europe map on mine once I am happy with the Europe Camper. Have a look at my thread you refer to above and you can see the figures and work out if they add up.

Some one wiser than I will be able to say if deleting the original map would cause TT to throw a wobble.

When I did my install via MYTomTom there was no option that I saw allowing you to download to anwhere other than the TT i.e. micro SD card. But if you believe the TT web pages the Europe Camper map is supposed to be available on a card. Its been saying this for a year now. As yet the item link for more info on this does not work.

See here http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/camper-caravan-navigation/
under middle right of page 'coming soon'.

When you say lost the warnings I presume you mean the audible warning no longer sounded and you had to reset? This has happened to me on my TT 720 after some upgrades.

Hope I have not confuse you further ...
cliffbrown
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that I have looked at the dedicated camper TT but at nearly £400 it wasnt an option but when I saw the memory card option (or not) I thought it was more cost effective, have got a compatible device, just need to work out how to use it fully, then the next step down down the camper map.
the start 60 doesnt have enough available memory to run both, it has the uk map seperate to the europe one, In my tom tom the option to remove the map is there so I cant see any reason why I cant remove the standard europe map and repkace it withthe camper one, UNLESS SOMEONE KNOWS DIFFERENT!!!!!!!!!!
collietrainer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: bit more .. Reply with quote

Right got it. Yeah TT's dedicated Camper model is a bit on the expensive side but I guess with all the extra programing .... all those low bridges and heights to calculate against your inputted caravan or camper specifications. And probably less users to sell to. There are still some holes in it as you will see from my latest post in the other thread about speed limits.

Just by way of conversation - Does the 60 update via Tom Tom Home or via My Tom Tom - the application in the PC sys tray? The reason I ask is I have a feeling from way back when that if your TT did not have a map on it, it would not accept a new map. But as I say I am not knowledgeable with the 60 and do not want to mislead you. If you update your 60 via My Tom Tom then the map should be available in 'manage my content' and downloaded the same way as my 1005 did. Depends how bold you want to be but if you update via MTT then cant see any reason why you cant delete the map and replace with the Camper map - as long as you have enough memory after deletion. But do more digging before leaping. (Just like me !!)

Really need someone with the 60 who has changed their map. Any takers?
cliffbrown
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read your update the speed thing was on my mind, the start 60 updates thru my tom tom which is different to the last model I had so lots of new things all round. cant remember the figures but the camper map is smaller than the europe map on start 60, and there is a seperate uk map so it would be the camper map when towing and the uk map for work etc
collietrainer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:28 pm    Post subject: 60 Reply with quote

Personally I prefer My Tom Tom to Tom Tom Home. Just as long as you keep a watch on both the PC screen and the TT's screen, which always seem to lag behind the PC screen. So if it says 'you can now safely disconnect your device' on the PC screen I always glance at the TT screen as well. A moments hesitation can save problems. I do miss being able to see the TT and files in windows explorer, so I can do a full cut and paste backup + a map backup only + favourites + POI's. Never did totally rely on Home to do the backup 100%. I guess you have the same trouble with the 60? or you could do a full backup before hand to be safe.

Your right the Camper map is smaller than the regular Europe map - about half a gig I think. Dont forget you need the latest app. 12 point something in order for the new icon to show after installing the map (you will not see if before you get the map) but if your updating regularly it should already have been offerred.

I may have misunderstood your last post ...but once you have the Europe camper map you can use it to switch between car, camper and car with caravan. So as the Europe camper is the latest v9 map you would not need any other out of date map (for work) as camper covers all vehicles with or without trailer/caravan. I only switched between my two maps Europe/camper to see if I could Twisted Evil . At some time in the future I plan to delete my standard (v8?) Europe map as it will be redundant.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cliffbrown wrote:
cant remember the figures but the camper map is smaller than the europe map on start 60, and there is a seperate uk map so it would be the camper map when towing and the uk map for work etc

The way MyTomTom works when you try to add a new map is it will only delete an older version of the SAME map to make room, otherwise it will tell you to add an AD card to put the new one onto.

As the camper map is a different map (although of the same European area) I suspect that MyTomTom will insist on putting it on an SD card.

If you only have a Europe map on the Start at the moment, you can't even delete the old map first, because MyTomTom will not allow you to remove the "last" map on a device, as a safety precaution to stop you ending up with a non-functioning unit.

This is a good situation to show that's a flawed system!

But you say you have a separate UK map as well. That's not normally supplied on the device from new, did you buy it afterwards?
collietrainer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:18 am    Post subject: Way Forward? Reply with quote

Cliff/Andy
Perhaps a possible way forward for Cliff might be to remove his SD card and replace it with a blank formatted one, (class 6 I believe). Then purchase/download the Europe Camper map then from what Andy says it should insist on installing to the newly formatted SD card via mytomtom. If it does not, you could always put the original SD card back in I would imagine - but the experience would be at a price! Alternatively wait for a bit and see if TT live up to their promise and sell the new map on SD. Regarding the two map situation (uk/europe) was the 60 new at purchase and from a reputable dealer?
cliffbrown
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys, the card slot on the Start 60 is a micro SD so that probably isnt an option unless you can download to PC then copy to card.
Yes there are two seperate maps on the device, purchased from currys, when I first connected to PC it took almost 6 hrs to update and install, both maps and the 12app thingy etc.
when I hook up to mytomtom it lists two maps and there is a tick box to the right with the option to remove.
might be best to ask TT techies the right way to do it
cliffbrown
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: update Reply with quote

just been on TT help and for the Start60 if there is not enough memory to put new map on it will give you the option to remove existing map to make room, this map will stay on your account
collietrainer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Good Luck! Reply with quote

Well I hope TT support have the solution for you and look forward to hearing how it all pans out. You never know the link I quoted before (coming soon)just shows a pic of what appears to be an SD card, but maybe, just maybe they will be clever enough to sell it on Micro SD as well. Are you listening TT?
Good luck.

Late edit: Just seen your latest post - sounds good!
cliffbrown
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: camper updated Reply with quote

hi ok took the leap inspired by collietrainer just did a demo route as there is a narrow bridge near home the camper routed around!!

not towing until easter but might do a demo run and let you all know what happens
collietrainer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:18 am    Post subject: Re: camper updated Reply with quote

cliffbrown wrote:
hi ok took the leap inspired by collietrainer

I am humbled by your post. Laughing Well done! Does this make us the Pkt GPS Camper Treckies? Boldly going...etc?

Before going live with my Europe Camper with caravan in tow I am going to continue to test it out minus caravan ...just to be sure eh. (Now signed up to camera database for a year allowing me to access the low bridges poi.)
cliffbrown
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WILL HAVE TO CHECK OUT THE LOW BRIDGES POI still trying out the basics

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: