Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which GPS solution?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which GPS solution?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DelBoyUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Which GPS solution? Reply with quote

I have just ordered a HP 2210 and I already have tom tom 3, so I was wondering what GPS device I should get?

I was considering the TT3 bluetooth solution which appears to be about £90 on ebay

The Holux CF gps solution ( about £80 ish)(though still needs a seperate ariel)

or anything else you can suggest for around that price range.

What are the pros and cons of each and which would you recommend?

The unit will be moved around 4 cars, so it needs to be portable.

(Also are wired units really bad to move around?, from what I can tell its only an extra cable and it powers the pda as well, saving another £10).

One last question, is it important to have a good mount?, I was just going to get a £13 one with a suction cup that sticks to the window, or are there better alternatives for not much more?

Sorry for the array of questions Laughing 8)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wired Mice type receivers are the simplest to set-up and not that difficult to move from car to car so long as you don't mind lots of trailing wires. They also require a 12v supply so cannot be used away from the vehicle.

CF are best avoided for in-car use, they need an external antenna or a good sky view to work well.

BT are the most adaptable, you can position the receiver wherever you wish and there are no wires to contend with and you can alos use them away from the car.

I'd go for a BT solution.
DelBoyUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Wired Mice type receivers are the simplest to set-up and not that difficult to move from car to car so long as you don't mind lots of trailing wires. They also require a 12v supply so cannot be used away from the vehicle.

CF are best avoided for in-car use, they need an external antenna or a good sky view to work well.

BT are the most adaptable, you can position the receiver wherever you wish and there are no wires to contend with and you can alos use them away from the car.

I'd go for a BT solution.

Ahh excellent, I didnt realised the non bt version needed to be hardwired 8O . I thought I saw a tom tom version which ran from a car charger rather that wired direct to the battery.

Is any BT solution good? any particular recommendations for price/quality. :D
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I didn't explain that correctly, GPS Mice do not need to be 'hard wired' they have a cigarette lighter plug fited, what I meant was they cannot operate unless connected to a 12v supply Smile
DelBoyUK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Perhaps I didn't explain that correctly, GPS Mice do not need to be 'hard wired' they have a cigarette lighter plug fited, what I meant was they cannot operate unless connected to a 12v supply Smile

Oh I see, thanks :D

Is that really a big problem , seeing as you will probably need a cig lighter plug to power the pda anyway?

(Gets my thinking boots on Laughing )
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only an issue if you planned to use it away from the car, if you only intend it for in-car use the a GPS Mouse would be fine Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: