Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 3790t traffic !
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

3790t traffic !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjhorne
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:00 pm    Post subject: 3790t traffic ! Reply with quote

....or what traffic to be precise ?

I have my 3790 mounted on the windscreen with the snake lead routed under the steering wheel and up through the door seal, the oblong box (with the mini jack socket) in the cable is also mounted behind the door seal, the mini jack is plugged in and the cable routed inside the door pillar.

The 3790 shows the traffic icon but its constantly 'searching' for a signal. Have i installed this all correctly?
Wazza_G
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a tad confused?

All I do with mine is plug it into the lighter/power socket and then carefully put it over the steering column & up onto the dashboard where it plugs into the units speaker mount, (Note: The unit is never attached to the windscreen, it's always on a bean bag mount) by trailing it that way I always get a signal.

It didn't show any traffic problems for me today in the Amesbury (Countess Roundabout) area on the A303, which was correct, however there were long tailbacks on the Westbound side of the A303 & it showed them correctly on the traffic map.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you bury the aerial cable close to the cars metal work then its going to have a right job picking up any signal, lose under the dash works but installed up against the cars structure isn't good, putting the aerial wire inside the "A" Pillar will make matters even worse.

What car is it and does it have Athermic coated glass as this also attenuates the FM signal - Mike
mjhorne
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a mazda3 mps normal windscreen with no electric element, is the aerial embedded with the power lead or is it the single wire with a jack plug on it.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RDS unit is quite capable of receiving the signal without the short aerial connected to it in the USA or Mainland Europe, in the UK however we need the extra aerial (bit of string) as the signal is considerably lower power than used elsewhere.

If you really want a neat and tidy installation the best option is to connect the end of the "String Aerial" to your cars aerial by coupling the two leads together using a 10,000pF ceramic disk capacitor (these are available from the lives of Maplin for a few pence) Once fed with a decent signal the unit will receive data far easier, have a read of This for an idea as to whats involved - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: