Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed camera database updates
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed camera database updates

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mags97
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Speed camera database updates Reply with quote

Hi
Wonder if some expert can advise me. I did post a question about Ash camera manager a week or so ago but had no replies
I decided to give the new version a try I was unable to use the earlier version. I downloaded the latest version and it gave me some 50,000 POI's which I thought was a lot.
Anyway decided to try it and had to give up on the first journey as I was receiving so many warnings.
I have gone back to the Pocket World version. I wiped out all the original downloaded zip files from the folders to start afresh! and cleared my sat nav. of old POI's. I wanted to use the 24pt Icons can someone tell me please when I download and unzip a later version of the speed camera database will I have to also download the larger Icons as well every time? I'm sorry if this is a basic question and I am probably doing something wrong. I am NO comp. expert.
I have a bog standard Garmin Nuvi 200W. I would have liked to change the voice on the Garmin as well but am I correct in thinking this is more complicated than just a download. I hope this makes sense!!!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Speed camera database updates Reply with quote

mags97 wrote:
Hi
Wonder if some expert can advise me. I did post a question about Ash camera manager a week or so ago but had no replies

I'm not a Garmin expert, best posted in the Garmin forum if you need help with that particular app.
Quote:
I decided to give the new version a try I was unable to use the earlier version. I downloaded the latest version and it gave me some 50,000 POI's which I thought was a lot.

Think that's about right as, IIRC, it duplicates each camera location to allow it to give you the two alerts.
Quote:
I wanted to use the 24pt Icons can someone tell me please when I download and unzip a later version of the speed camera database will I have to also download the larger Icons as well every time?

No, if you maintain a dedicated POI folder on your PC, with a copy of the 24pt icons, then you need not re-download them each time.
Quote:
I have a bog standard Garmin Nuvi 200W. I would have liked to change the voice on the Garmin as well but am I correct in thinking this is more complicated than just a download. I hope this makes sense!!!

Again, not a Garmin expert but, so ling as your device supports .mp3's it's relatively simple?
mags97
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren
Many thanks for the reply. I do have a dedicated folder for the POI so you have made it clear. The amount of POI's from the pocket world version amounts to some 11,200 I just thought 50,000 on the Ash base was the reason I was getting continuous warnings. I don't think the 200W supports mp3's so will leave as is!.
Thanks for your help I am really impressed with the help and support I have received whenever I have posted a basic problem. The speed camera database is brilliant.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mags97 wrote:
I don't think the 200W supports mp3's so will leave as is!.

I'm not a Garmin expert either, but I'm sure I've read on the forum that if your particular model doesn't accept mp3s then you can use .wav audio files instead.
All you have to do is convert the mp3 files downloadable from here to the .wav format, and I can certainly help with that!

One completely free program that can do it is "Audacity".

Just "open" each mp3 file and "export" as wav.
Any problems just ask

Also, have a search of the Speed cam and Garmin sections of the forum for links to any instructions on installing the wav files.
mags97
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy
Many thanks,
I will do as you suggest although it's not a problem having the Garmin voice, just a bit boooooooring
Could you tell me when downloading the latest camera update (I use POI loader) I have always deleted the previous weeks zip files and re-loaded as per the video. Is this necessary or will the new camera alerts over-write the last download, once they are unzipped? as per the 24pt Icons and does 11,200 POI's sound about correct, sorry to ask for further advice
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

POI Loader ALWAYS replaces everything every time you use it.
That means you just need to compile all the POI files you want into one folder on the PC and then get POILoader to upload them to the Garmin all in one hit.

So... just like any other file copying operation on a PC, if the new files have the same names as the old ones (which the PGPSW camera files *do*) then they will overwrite them as you put them in the folder, before POILoader even gets involved.
mags97
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy
Many thanks for the help. I will now download it in the correct manner.
Thanks once again to you and Darren.
mags97
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy_P or Darren
Sorry to ask another question.....I am going to try to download the voice files from GPS. By converting the filkes etc (have looked on the gamin forum there is a run through there. Via audicity etc. If I cock-up would I just be able to delete the download and go back to the Garmin voice alerts. just a little bit concerned that it will wipe out the original voice alerts and I will not have any.
Should I really be asking this question on the Garmin forum?
It's a Nuvi 200W
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll move this to the Garmin forum for you.

The PGPSW voice files will NOT affect the Garmin voices. The PGPSW voice file only over ride (not over write) the Garmin speed camera alerts and are easily reversed.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: