Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom XL2 IQ Routes Edition Europe 42 POI
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom XL2 IQ Routes Edition Europe 42 POI
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linkylacey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:41 pm    Post subject: TomTom XL2 IQ Routes Edition Europe 42 POI Reply with quote

I dont know! If you look at the XL/XXL IQ Routes Manual on the TomTom website it is totally different (has POI Management) from what you get with the actual device. I was told that this is because the device has been "upgraded".

From this I gather that the XL originally did work "properly", as outlined in the manual, lets call it v001 but v002 or v003 of the same device has changed and now there is no POI Management capability. I suspect that if you had a v001 it would be a v002 before long, and that would be accomplished with an app upgrade that you would need to do something else.

I do know, as I said before that about a year ago I could not download a new map without updating the app on my GO910. So it does not take much imagination to take things a little further in that direction.

I would suggest that TomTom sees custom POIs as an enemy. For example they lose customers to outfits such as PGPSW etc. and given the financial constraints of business these days, would it really be a surprise if they decided to put a finger in the dyke and stop the leak? In fact, TomTom would not be serving their investors if they were not looking to maximise income, in what many see to be a declining market and one of the few ways thay have of doing that is to ensure everyone pays them for any subscription that ends up on one of their devices.

It is not rocket science
linkylacey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"We purchased a set of specifications, and so have a contract with TT for their continued provision. Any downgrading of function breaches that contract and the small claims court would be a good place to seek damages."

Really?

I think that if you read the "small print" of any documentation for any electronic divice sold today, you will find that the manufacturer reserves certain rights and one of those reserved rights could very well be the right to make corrections, or resolve difficulties, or defects - at their discretion... They may not say so in as many words, but it will be there - known by some as "weasel words" or a disclaimer - any business lawyer worth his salt would insist on it and, by the way, it would be a part of your contract to purchase and could be argued to apply to any change the manufacturer deems appropriate.
JoolsTwo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom XL2 IQ Routes Edition Europe 42 POI Reply with quote

linkylacey wrote:
I would suggest that TomTom sees custom POIs as an enemy.

what about all the custom POIs available via TT home, will they remove them?

One of things I hate about there own standard POIs, apart from the inaccuracies, is the rubbish monochrome icons that are totally illegible.

Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only 'contract to purchase' is the one established by your payment for the functions offered. If TT remove functions you are entitled to be returned to the position you were in before their action. I would suggest you sue for the cost of purchasing the cheapest device that offers the functions you originally purchased.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom XL2 IQ Routes Edition Europe 42 POI Reply with quote

linkylacey wrote:
I dont know! If you look at the XL/XXL IQ Routes Manual on the TomTom website it is totally different (has POI Management) from what you get with the actual device.

Not so...
There are two completely separate manuals (reference guides) for the TomTom XL IQ Routes and for the TomTom XL IQ Routes ²

I would be the first to agree that TomTom's naming conventions are appalling, as is the whole manner in which they are reducing functionality, but you can't say the manual is wrong.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I find most annoying is the reuse of the same name, lets face it the XL IQ and the XL IQ Live are great devices, I have said this on a number of occasions as have plenty of others. New user reading information on this forum prior to purchase of a new device sees all these posts and heads off to Halfords.
Spots an XL_2_IQ so he purchases it based upon information he has read online and in magazine reviews - Slight problem as its got the dumbed down menu - When functions get reduced in such a way the device really should be fully renamed - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree... that's what I meant when I said "TomTom's naming conventions are appalling".
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something as simple as a Specification Matrix on their website would help:- Too many models with too similar specifications. OR an ability to tick boxes depending upon the features you require and then TT offer models depending upon your selection. Model choice is overly complicated at the moment.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AliOnHols wrote:
Model choice is overly complicated at the moment.

Someone with a cynical view would say this is deliberate by the marketing department - Mike
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no, Mike! Shocked

Nobody like that around here, eh?
Twisted Evil

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: