Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom XL2 IQ Routes Edition Europe 42 POI
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom XL2 IQ Routes Edition Europe 42 POI
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linkylacey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: TomTom XL2 IQ Routes Edition Europe 42 POI Reply with quote

I wanted to upgrade from a TT GO 500 and thought a TT XL IQ Routes with European maps would do the job. So I did a little research basically by reading the manual on the TT website and reading through the Specification, also on the TT website. This told me that although the XL IQ Routes Europe had a simplified menu it still supported Text-to-Speech and looking at the manual, seemed to have the POI facility for custom POIs I need. So I bought one.

First, it does not support Text-to-Speech, nor Petrol Prices for that matter and when it comes to the menu; it is nothing like the menue described in the TomTom ONE v5 XL v2 on-line manual which does have a Change Preferences button on the Main Menu Screen and Add Custom POI facility.

I should add that Tom Tom have a tool on their web site that will tell you which model of Tom Tom you have (if you didnt know and I clearly dont) you simply type in the first two digits of your serial number, press a button and the Model is revealed. I was so disgusted that I thought I would try this. I was told that my XL2 IQ Routes Edition Europe 42 is in fact a TomTom ONE 1st Edition!

Perhaps it is time to give up on TomTom?

MikeL
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: TomTom XL2 IQ Routes Edition Europe 42 POI Reply with quote

None of the units with the "simplified" Menu support custom POIs.

linkylacey wrote:
I was told that my XL2 IQ Routes Edition Europe 42 is in fact a TomTom ONE 1st Edition!
Confused

If you did have a ONE 1st Ed., then this would support custom POIs. Perhaps the TT system is not functioning correctly. Did you use the bar-code number?

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
linkylacey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: TomTom XL2 IQ Routes Edition Europe 42 POI Reply with quote

Yes, the Barcode number starting with G1 apparently identifies the TomTom One 1st Edition - which I guess works like TomToms always have but the TomTom XL2 IQ Routes Edition Europe 42 does not.

It looks very much as if TT have decided to ensure you buy POI, Speec Cameras etc only from them, but they are also less than honest when it comes to Specification and the on line manual is totally misleading. The fact is that the manual claims that the TomTom XL2 IQ Routes Edition Europe 42 does support POI "management" which looks very much like supporting added custom POIs. The actual unit has none of the functions explained in the manual.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have increasing concerns that this issue is symptomatic of a sea change in how TomTom will be handling the whole area of community data and 3rd party add-ons.

It's one thing to remove functionality in entry level devices and entirely another to remove it across the board.

Obviously we have a vested interest in this area being content providers but regardless, it cannot be seen as a positive move if TomTom are positioning to restrict the use of third party data and control it all in house.

Being a subscriber, you will appreciate that our database exists and survives because it is BETTER than TomTom's. Perhaps they consider the only way to remove the competition is to preclude its use rather than improving their data?

I'll see if we can get an official statement out of TomTom on this issue.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren

I would point them them to the threads appearing daily on here about the lack of custom POI support and the number of returns due to lack of functionality.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How ironic....

Right now I've got a member in a US forum wondering how to add pois to his 550 and I'm trying to be soooo polite in NOT saying he has himself a 'brain dead' model (550's in NA come with the (cough, cough) 'EasyMenu')
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go on, tell them Laughing
linkylacey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: XL2 IQ Routes Edition Europe 42 POI Reply with quote

I have to say, and perhaps it might be considered a warning, thyat TT could and indeed might upgrade all existing units to their new simplified menu - it is a matter of being careful what you download - and then they can require certain apps to be loaded for a new map to function. I already had this happen on my reliable old GO910 when I had to download the latest app before I could download my map subscription, So it does have much more serious potential than my "little" problem.

it seems to me that pgpsw or someone with capability might try to organize a solution such as a doctored app to do what we all want done. Or perhaps Garmin needs our business more than TomTom?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
I'm trying to be soooo polite in NOT saying he has himself a 'brain dead' model (550's in NA come with the (cough, cough) 'EasyMenu')

Whats wrong with "Dumbed Down Menu" as I call it, stop being too polite - Mike
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, you've seen me use that phrase (for some reason, Gator doesn't like it ... guess he's ever used a unit with it?? Laughing ).

I actually like the term you use for Home. "Carp"

(is your moralizer filter here dyslexic?? Twisted Evil )
linkylacey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikealder wrote:

I guess , from what I have learned in the last little while, that what is wrong is that it does not allow custom POIs - so no PGPS "Safety" Cameras.

Isn't that wrong enough?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

linkylacey wrote:
Mikealder wrote:

I guess , from what I have learned in the last little while, that what is wrong is that it does not allow custom POIs - so no PGPS "Safety" Cameras.

Isn't that wrong enough?

Actually, Mike was asking why call it the "EasyMenu", when he considers a more appropriate description to be DumbedDownMenu (i.e. RubbishUselessMenu). That it doesn't allow custom POIs (as you said) is only one of the reasons for his opinion.

To add my own concern, I hate to think my present GO will be my last TT device, but if that's the way they are going, they'll lose me as a customer. Certainly in future I'll not download a new Navcore before finding out (here) what, if any, damage it does). 'Course, I'm not as desperate as some will be - having 5 devices I'll be happy enough to keep two or three not updated mapwise in order to retain POI functionality - after all, my two devices with map 675 (April 2007) are still getting me there (and mostly on the same route as my three devices with map 850)!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
JoolsTwo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Certainly in future I'll not download a new Navcore before finding out (here) what, if any, damage it does).

I presume it's possible to revert back to an earlier navcore if they screw v9 up or does it mean future maps will only be valid with the latest navcore so you will be stuck with an old map?

Guivre46
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: XL2 IQ Routes Edition Europe 42 POI Reply with quote

linkylacey wrote:
I have to say, and perhaps it might be considered a warning, thyat TT could and indeed might upgrade all existing units to their new simplified menu - it is a matter of being careful what you download - and then they can require certain apps to be loaded for a new map to function. I already had this happen on my reliable old GO910 when I had to download the latest app before I could download my map subscription, So it does have much more serious potential than my "little" problem.

it seems to me that pgpsw or someone with capability might try to organize a solution such as a doctored app to do what we all want done. Or perhaps Garmin needs our business more than TomTom?

We purchased a set of specifications, and so have a contract with TT for their continued provision. Any downgrading of function breaches that contract and the small claims court would be a good place to seek damages.
Kia In-dash Tomtom
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't get too worried about existing devices that were sold with the full POI capability and normal menu options as they won't be changing those, remember the saga with the FM Transmitter when it had to be inhibitted due to some stupid EU directive, once TomTom worked out (or were told) that using the mp3 player is a way around the EU problem they re-enabled the FM Tx so they don't go removing things from existing devices.
These newer units have never been previously sold so the new dumbed down menu is on the device from day 01, given enough complaints though they could release new software that would enable the full POI support in the same way they realised that selling a new nav unit in the UK without postcode support (Start) wasn't such a clever move so they rather hastily added that to the device - So public opinion can count - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: