Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigator and Mitac Mio
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigator and Mitac Mio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Davidwf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: Navigator and Mitac Mio Reply with quote

I have a Mitac Mio P350 PDA (built in sat receiver), running windows mobie 5 and currently TomTom Navigator 6.010 with 6.75 Western Europe maps....so far so good and it works really well so I would like to update the (2005) maps that I have....

.......no can do

TomTom say that only Nav 6 is compatible and they aren't going to releae any more map updates

I can't understand why they say Nav 7 (or similar) won't run as it is advertised as suitable for other phones and PDA's running WM 5.

Anyone tried that combination with success ?
Anyone care to explain why it might not work - all TT support say is that "it is not on our compatibility list"....but of course you could always purchase one of our devices !!!....erm, no thank you

Failing that what CAN I run on my PDA.....I really like TT Nav, I don't let it lead me astray as, rather than relying on it 110% I use it as an aid together with my own brain !

Thanks
BaggieBoy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Navigator and Mitac Mio Reply with quote

Davidwf wrote:
I can't understand why they say Nav 7 (or similar) won't run as it is advertised as suitable for other phones and PDA's running WM 5.

Is that actually true? I'm pretty sure the (very short) list of compatible devices are all running WM6.1.
Davidwf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

could be...I am so confused now Rolling Eyes
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the wonderfull world of Tomtom,TTN7 will certainly run on win2003se and wm6, afraid i dont know about wm5 but presume it should unfortunately in Tomtom wisdom it wont support any of these unless shown as units specifically suported by them.so you either buy and take pot look or go the other way which we dont talk about,
Davidwf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
...............or go the other way which we dont talk about,

........but TomTom always takes me "the other way" Wink

Seriously though I have been with TT since the outset and am really dismayed at their attitude towards a very loyal and PAYING customer....at this rate I guess I'll be joining the bands of people who are deserting them very soon.
If other software supports WM5 then why can't theirs.....surely they can't be that naive to think that everyone is going to buy a new device [from them] every 2 years or so.
mhb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some months now I have been running TT7 without problems on a WM5 Mio P350.
Davidwf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mhb wrote:
For some months now I have been running TT7 without problems on a WM5 Mio P350.

Thank you mhb, that is the kind of answer I was looking for....no problems at all ??...does it run OK - i.e. not slowly or stuttering etc.

In that case why on earth don't TT list it on their compatibility list - and why do they INSIST that it won't run on WM5 ???? Confused
Thanks
DF
mhb
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problems at all. Of course those aspects of the application which require a live connection to internet do not functionas the P350 is not a phone. Presumably this is why TomTom do not claim the P350 as compatible.
Davidwf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well well well...I "acquired" a copy of TT7 v7.450(9028), installed it without problems and lo and behold it works perfectly !....thought I'd be a bit greedy and also installed western and central Europe_2gb map version 825.2159 and me that works perfectly as well !! Very Happy

I would have happily paid for these - no really I would, I have actually parted with the full asking price of the last 3 versions - but you will recall I was advised by TT "support" that as my device was not on their compatibility list there was no way they would work Exclamation hmmmmmm.....so in effect they have lost a sale and very nearly lost a most loyal customer !

A couple of questions now....
I also updated TTHome to 2.7 - big mistake as it didn't recognise my PDA, went back to V 1.5 and it all works OK....did I do something wrong ?
Presumably I cannot therefore benefit from the GPS quick fix program (it doesn't seem to be an option with TTH 1.5)

Would there be any benefit updating from TT7 vrsion 745 to a later one ?

Thanks
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If thinking of updating choose your versions carefully, some versions are ok with PDAs and some are not, and some of the features available for the supported versions are also not available, also do not expect a lot in maps being uptodate, in my local area 6yr old changes are still not on the latest maps issue.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you need TomTom Home on your computer at all?

The reason I ask is you are clearly using illegal software on your device as you didn't purchase the map, whilst I can see your point about TT not wanting to sell you a product coming back on the forum then boasting about getting it working won't go down well at all.

I would remove the illegal software from your device and purchase it through the correct methods now that you know it works - Mike
Davidwf
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052
I do realise that certain functions will not be available (live traffic news, bluetooth connection to a mobile phone etc.) but I have managed to live without these functions so far.......
As for the maps not being up to date I couldn't agree more - so what is the point of continually paying out for a product that doesn't work as it should ?

mikealder
I am not boasting at all, in fact I generally abhorre people who steal software - you will recall from earlier posts that I have purchased every single program and map update since starting in 2003, and they have all been TT products !
What I am trying to say is that their attitude towards a very loyal customer is very poor indeed - they just don't seem to care unless they can sell me one of their devices which I don't want - and from experience in 2 years time I will be in the same situation again as that device won't be supported.
This is one of the reasons (I feel) that there IS so much software piracy - IF it does what it is supposed to do, works properly AND you get good support and updates from the manufacturer (either paid for or free) then I am sure most people would be happy to pay for it, I do not see why we should pay for and accept a product that doesn't work properly - with anything other than software a full refund would be obtained.
Rest assured that if this product continues to function correctly I probably will buy it ......perhaps in the vain hope that their support will improve

I DO pay you for the speed cams !
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As for the maps not being up to date I couldn't agree more - so what is the point of continually paying out for a product that doesn't work as it should ?

The software works quite well and you will never get totally utodate maps from any supplier, I personally can accept tis situation,

and further to Mikes comment which In principle I agree with, due to Tomtom not being straight with issuing version information and not truly knowing what you will get you may well buy a version that will not run on a particular PDA and with Tomtoms policy of no support its tough luck, I would love to buy a current legal version if I could rely on it working, I have done since V3.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: