Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 940 Map Update Service - just UK?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 940 Map Update Service - just UK?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snoopstah
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:00 am    Post subject: TomTom 940 Map Update Service - just UK? Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I've got a nice shiny new TomTom 940 and so far it seems absolutely fantastic, a major step up from the PDA version I used to use.

I'm interested in making use of the map update subscription service to keep my map up to date. However, the 940 comes with Western and Central Europe and US maps, which means that the map update cost is coming out at £49 for the year for Western and Central Europe.

This is still a bargain but my driving in Europe is minimal (I do more in the US and Canada to be honest, hence getting the 940). Therefore it seems a bit of a waste to pay the £49 to keep the entirety of Europe updated when I really only want to keep the UK updated.

Is there any way, short of buying the UK map seperately, to just subscribe to UK updates?

Thanks!
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do more driving in North America, you're going to be disappointed in the 940 because there is no coverage in either US or Canada as of now.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
If you do more driving in North America, you're going to be disappointed in the 940 because there is no coverage in either US or Canada as of now.

Do you mean there's no UPDATE service for the US, David?
My 940 certainly has a North America map with Canada too..

snoopstah wrote:

Is there any way, short of buying the UK map seperately, to just subscribe to UK updates?

snoopstah... I don't think there will be any way to update just the UK on your Western Europe mapping, because you are subscribing to get new versions of the entire map, not just updates.
As you say, you would have to buy just a UK/Eire map and subscribe to the update service for that. Not really worth it....
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little late perhaps but if you're driving is mostly in the UK and Canada you do realise that the LIVE services will only work in the UK?
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting point about only working in the UK, TomTom recently emailed me a questionairre about Live Services and one of the questions was how much extra would you be willling to pay to use Live Services in other countries, so it must be something they are considering.
snoopstah
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I drive every day in the UK. I drive 2-3 times a year in Canada/US. I drive very rarely indeed in Europe. Hence I bought the 940 so that I had the US maps on the relatively rare occasions I visit (and in the knowledge that live services don't work in the US).

The Europe maps (excluding the UK) aren't a major concern to me, so I'd rather not have had to pay the extra to keep them all updated rather than just the UK bit. But as I expected it doesn't sound like this is possible without seperately buying the UK standalone map Smile

On a related note, does anyone know when TomTom release updated maps? I've applied the latest map guarantee so I'm up-to-date now, for free, and as I understand it, the map update subscription is cheapest if I do it when I have an up-to-date map. But there's not much point in me paying my £40-odd quid now if the next update isn't due until March or so...
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been wondering the same about when to commit to the map update subscription, the ideal time would be the day before the maps are updated but on my 530 it told me my maps (downloaded a few days before on the LMG) were over one quarter old. I am not sure whether that one quarter old is an accurate time measurement or just means the last release.

Supposedly TT release maps on a quarterly basis and the last ones were early November, which should mean early February for the next release. TomToms current map sale ends on 14th Janaury so does this hint there will be a map release very shortly after?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: