Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HD Traffic Preferences
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HD Traffic Preferences

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nashmills
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: HD Traffic Preferences Reply with quote

On reading the manual for my 940 (sad I know), I seem to have some items missing for HD Traffic Preferences. The manual indicates I should have the following options:

• Automatically minimise delays after every traffic update - your
device automatically recalculates your route when new delays occur
on your route.
• Beep when traffic situation on route changes - your device beeps
when a new traffic incident occurs on your current route.
• Show time gain statistics on device shut down - your device will
show you a summary of how much time you have saved using
HD Traffic when you reach your destination (providing it is more than
5 minutes) and also whenever you turn off your device.

On my device the only option is "Beep when traffic situation on route changes"

Does anyone know why this is please?
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell you why it is, however I can tell you I have the same single tick box under the traffic preferences.

Once I've selected 'Beep When traffic en-route changes' I'm asked what I'd like to if TomTom finds a significantly faster route whilst I'm driving due to traffic, the options being Always switch to that route, Ask me if I want the route, or never change my route.

I've never seen the Show Time gain stats option before, as I looked after I read the manual (Your not alone in reading it!)
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
TheMincer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't get my head round how the re-routing around traffic works at all.

Coming home from London from Manchester tonight, I was warned of a long delay around M6, J17 did I want to re-route? As I was 70 miles south of this at the time I selected "No" as I didn't need to make up my mind at that time, as it could easily clear by the time I got there. I continued to monitor the delay shown on screen along with information from 5 Live.

A short time later the delay got even longer by around 20 mins extra, but I wasn't prompted for a re-route, even though the "ask me if I want that route" function (or whatever its called) was ticked.

I decided to force a "Minimise Delay" in Traffic to see where it would send me, and this would take me off at J16, and save me about 45 mins on journey time.

I thought I would leave the re-route active to see what would happen, even though I was well away from the reported delay.

As J16 approached (and I was still being advised to exit there), I cleared the route, then did a navigate to home to start again. As I always suspected, the earlier heavy traffic at J17 had all but gone, and my quickest route was to to carry on up the M6, and not take the diversion via J16.

So how does it work?

If you choose to refuse a traffic re-route once, is this fixed no matter how long the delay for that particular incident is i.e. no further prompts even though you can see your ETA increasing all the time? If there is an extra, unrelated incident then you do get the re-route prompt in my experience.

If you do choose to re-route, does it not continue to monitor your original route such that if this ends up being quicker, it switches you back? Not in my experience tonight.

I think I'll continue my old practice of frequently clearing route and then selecting the same destination again to decide the best route myself.

Given the greater number of menu options regarding traffic and journey preferences in the 8.3 Navcore, I hoped this would be accompanied by greater functionality, but it seems not.

By the way I had a full green circle all the way.

I'm using a 520T, App 8.3, UK & ROI 815.2003
Guinness2702
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheMincer wrote:
I think I'll continue my old practice of frequently clearing route and then selecting the same destination again to decide the best route myself.

I don't know the answer to your questions (actually, I'd like to know myself), but just a tip here. If you go to the "find alternative" menu, there's a "recalculate original" button which is easier to use then re-entering your route as if new, especially if it is something done via a poi, or with waypoints.
TheMincer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still non the wiser. Anyone understand it?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: