Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Which Tomtom Go 530, Go 520, Or Go 920?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Tomtom Go 530, Go 520, Or Go 920?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clowes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Which Tomtom Go 530, Go 520, Or Go 920? Reply with quote

Hello guys,
I am a new driver. I have never been one for knowing where I am, or where I am going so I feel an investment in tomtom sat nav would be worthwhile..

Basically I have been doing my research, and want to get the best possible tomtom for the best possible price (as I am a poor poor student)

My 3 options are as follows:

GO 520T then upgrade ~£130
GO 920T then upgrade £175
GO 530T ~£150

I have been informed that with the x20 series, I can simply upgrade my maps/software, and have the same functionality as the x30 series for cheaper. The x40 series are out of my range.

Basically feature wise, what I want/need is as follows.

-Speed Cameras so I know when I can/cannot speed
-Advanced Lane Guidance... being a new driver, I always get confused which lane to go in, and/or when I need to enter in one lane, and cross over to another on complex roundabouts...
-FM Broadcasting.. I want to be able to put my music on the GPS, and broadcast it through my radio... As an aside, what happens when it is playing music, and needs to give a voice command?
-IQ Routing... obviously all features like this would be great. I want a GPS that gives me the quickest, most efficient route..

Finally simply a question.. What does the T (Traffic) add on actually consist of/do..?

Advice/Opinions greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Owner of Anfield.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First things first. You do NOT need to know when you can/cannot speed - PLEASE DON'T SPEED - it's the law and it makes sense. Speed cameras on your SatNav are intended to remind you, not save your licence. It is generally considered that the speed camera database available from this website is far and away the best available in the UK. Read me

OK, so the 520/720/920 are earlier versions of the 530/730/930 and after a little time with the x30s out, the operating software and maps of the x20s were updated to bring them up to the same level as the x30s. Probably cost you for the updated maps, except that if you buy a new x20 (old stock sales offers), one of the first things you can do is get an updated map together with software which will put it on a par with the x30 version.

The T is an FM antenna and receiver which you plug into the TomTom and stick it across your windscreen. A thin cable with transparent suckers, ending with a lump for the receiver and a short bit of cable to a plug to go into the TomTom. Sometimes it's a fiddle to get it correctly positioned to work properly, but mine works perfectly well.

You'll get Advanced Lane Guidance (not for roundabouts, though) and IQ routing with any of the models you're considering. Some of us love 'em, some of us hate 'em. But they come on the device and if you don't like them, you can turn them off.

FM transmission works on them all too (navigation instructions interrupt the music - I don't use it so I don't know whether it pauses playback or simply blots it out and you return to it half a verse later). HOWEVER, TomTom have now disabled FM transmission of navigation instructions in later versions due to their interpretation of some law or other, but they still allow FM transmission of music. It is therefore VERY IMPORTANT that when you buy your new SatNav, you must do a proper backup of it so that you can restore it back to where it started if you find that any updates cause problems. Backup by copying everything from the device into a folder on your PC (the TomTom program HOME offers a backup facility which very few of us here trust, so we never use that backup).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: