Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom HOME 2.4 released
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom HOME 2.4 released
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Out Loud Someone put DennisN back on the leash Laughing Out Loud True tho Dennis, with all the seeminly headless chicken approach TomTom have implimented if these posts stay on topic it would be a trial to get through! The humor here is why i like this site!

Could the reason people have lost mapshare corrections be simply that you have a new map! I'm sure one of the guru's here said this in another thread that mapshare corrections are done on the map you currently have! So once you update you start again! Not too fussed at moment till TT sort out this 29, 39, 49mph nonsence! The line of script to sort that issue is so easy!
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gripe that I have with the "Latest Maps" is that very little has changed from the "Older Maps"

There is a crossroads near where I live which is two roads at 90 degrees to each other. There is also the benefit of traffic lights at this junction.

Joker TomTom Joker tells me that it is a roundabout.

This is now the third map that I have had and that I have reported it on. I am willing to bet that map v9.09 will have a roundabout as well! Twisted Evil

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little may have changed that you have noticed, but new western europe map is 100mb bigger! so something has changed! as for your local junction! Remember a sat nav map is about a year out just because
1 Map makers need to survey area
2. Then make that data digital!
Mapshare should help them by identifing issues that need priority changes if its reported by lots of users! Your little change on a local basis may well be true, but look at the big picture! Lets face it, locally do we need a sat nav or when we are somewhere we dont know! Maps change constantly, but so do roads! No sat nav company is gonna be able to keep up! NEVER!
Tom59
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my pet subjects is accuracy. I have been known to go on about POI's and camera's at length before now.

I know that I do not need telling about my junction / roundabout, but let's say for example, a stranger coming into town has been primed to take the third exit on the roundabout, except it is a junction instead. He will either go past because it is unexpected or even worse have an accident because he has been momentarily confused. Either way it causes stress and upset that can be avoided.

Don't get me wrong, I do believe that it is an uphill battle for the cartographers to try and keep up to date. When I got my last map, I was well impressed by the fact that they had altered some roundabouts on the A1, which were and still are a work in progress, so full marks for that.

I have been using MapShare religiously since they first introduced it, but having read some comments from the likes of Dennis and Mike, I am now not sure whether to continue with it or not. Confused

TT iPhone app
V 1.23 Map: Western and Central Europe 2 GB V 965.7286

TT iOS Go Mobile
V 1.1 Map: Western Europe 965.7248
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SQUARE2024 wrote:
I hit the button for the Home update,and I am told there is none ! yet my home version is 2.3.192
How do I get 2.4 ?

As for every HOME update/install, if you're not offered it automatically you can get it here:

http://www.tomtom.com/home
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikewall wrote:
Little may have changed that you have noticed, but new western europe map is 100mb bigger! so something has changed!
Mmmm. Last time I paid attention to the sales hype, the "new map" in question was accompanied by statements like xx,000km of new roads, x,000 new roundabouts "In Europe" - just a small number of each in each European country would rack up quite an amount towards 100mb. What's the bytes count for a new 3D buildings feature?

So I fancy you'll be able to find places where the map detail has degraded in favour of whatever extra has been included. See my post at the top of THIS PAGE. I expect the ALG and Lane Images have added quite a lot and what about all the extra data involved with IQ Routes. I too have my favourite local roundabout, although in this case, it's an A road very heavily trafficked. I've been reporting the non-existence of the roundabout for a couple of years and surely someone else has done the same.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom59 wrote:

There is a crossroads near where I live which is two roads at 90 degrees to each other. There is also the benefit of traffic lights at this junction.

Joker TomTom Joker tells me that it is a roundabout.

I've got a similar junction near me, where TomTom tells me to "Turn Left, then Turn Right." If I did that, I would end up on somebody's drive! I've reported this on every map version I have had, either via Mapshare, or TeleAtlas's reporting page, without any success.
mikewall
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect detail has been cut! i'd hazard a guess that bends in the road are more angles than smooth bends again! TT have even taken out the cash machine poi that got hit by a truck Saturday!! Now theres upto date mapping Laughing Out Loud

On the deletion of map share downloads just noticed today that the road outside my depot srill shows 39mph so i gather my old data aint been deleted!!!

We all want acurate maps completly agree with that but it takes time to survey then program! Before i had sat nav every 2 years i'd by the master atlas of greater london and a national A to Z every year! within a week i'd of found a error! On London one it took two years before the A5/A406 junction was shown correctly thats one major junction!! At least TT do quarterly updates and now cheaply, Navman, Destinator were yearly! Navman price was £100 for europe map! may of changed now!

No preaching intended but your local knowledge is always gonna be better than your satnav! I have no time for any driver who gets stuck and then blames his sat nav! There are clues all over if your driving a large vehicle and your device says turn right, you dont blindly say ok! assess plan! Large vehicles and tight roads dont like each other much!

As for mapshare! it's a good idea, but too many flaws at the moment! But i am sure it will grow into a usefull tool! i still use it everytime i find a issue and even if it helps TT/Tele-Atlas see where needs surveying that helps us! Keep on reporting errors! it will all help! After all TT would be fools to completly disregaurd data like this! Even if it is just surveying planning!

DennisN 100mb was roughly eatra size of updated map! i'd like to think TT found better compression routines, but i think your right less map detail!

Doh a mind full of useless info!!! sure i'll find a use for it somewhere someday!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikewall wrote:

Could the reason people have lost mapshare corrections be simply that you have a new map!

No!
I don't have a new map, and now I don't have any Mapshares either.

However, I've now heard from TomTom that removing all the Mapshares was "by design" so everyone would start afresh with a new download using a new system.

It's just typical TomTom planning that they decided to launch a version of Home that would do this just as they broke the Mapshare download system
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:

However, I've now heard from TomTom that removing all the Mapshares was "by design" so everyone would start afresh with a new download using a new system.

Right. Thanks a lot, ya bastages, for removing MY personal map corrections, too. If you did. Didn't check.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TT also said it SHOULDN'T have removed your personal corrections and we are investigating.

It seems to me that it HAS removed my personal map corrections but it HASN'T removed my personal POI corrections.
However, there may be some confusion as I had to restore an old backup a couple of weeks ago after Home corrupted the entire system the previous time I connected to it.
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
mikewall wrote:

Could the reason people have lost mapshare corrections be simply that you have a new map!

No!
I don't have a new map, and now I don't have any Mapshares either.

It's just typical TomTom planning that they decided to launch a version of Home that would do this just as they broke the Mapshare download system

This is very strange as I've upgraded Home, maps & Home again but as of last night, after logging on to check for any more upgrades, I was still showing Mapshares Question Rolling Eyes
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Daggers
Grrrr! I do envy you folk with your quick download speeds. I started my download at 2:20 pm and if nothing goes wrong (I bet it does) I estimate it will finish the task around 11:00pm. Unfortunately I live in a village far from the exchange and there is no way of speeding things up. My download speed today is 220kbps.

I have toyed with the idea of going to my brother’s ( he can download 20 times faster than I) and trying my luck there. Would I be able to install Home on his computer and download from his house?
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could download the installation file, burn it to disk, and bring it over to your place. But what's the problem? 220kbps ain't too shabby. Unless you misplaced a comma somewhere.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kar98
My speed has now dropped to 120kbps. Now, that may not be shabby but its sure not bl---y fast. When I read the time taken by other downloaders it makes me a little peeved. The last time I done a map download it took me 7 hours and with a few minutes to go it stopped. Now, that may not be the end of the world for someone on a very fast download speed but it nearly made me look for a long rope.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 18 of 25

Jump to: