Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Speed warning voice prompts
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed warning voice prompts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stebbo14
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Speed warning voice prompts Reply with quote

I have just purchased a tomtom 730Traffic and have downloaded the new speed camera database. I hthen used my warfnings from my previous tomtom, which were OGG files. I put these into the sounds folder and for some reason when I approached a camera it warned me twice and then gave me the BIGBEN bong !!!!!!!!! most annoying. I removed them and then reinstalled as WAV files and deleted all other sounds in the sounds folder. This did not work either, I still got the BIGBEN bong !!!
The bong shows up on the tomtom when used independently but I can't find these sounds when I view the tomtom through my laptop.

Does anyone have any ideas what I'm doing wrong as to why these warnings won't operate as they did previous in my GO 910

Cheers
Stebbo
Cheers!
spannersatcx
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like you need to turn the TomTom speed cameras off, as you are getting 2 warmnings the TT ones and the PGWS ones.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at the FAQ page in the sticky threads at the top of this forum index, number one is a full back up BEFORE you do anything else with/ to the device.
Number two is to delete the TomTom speed camera files from your unit, once removed they cannot introduce any additional warnings - Mike
Stebbo14
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I have already backed it up as and far as I know have removed the tomtom safety camera files. I cannot find them either on "Contents of my GO" or "remove items from my tomtom" on the Tomtom home application. It differs from the home app on the X10 and X20 series.
I am still getting two warnings and the bloody big ben sound despite deleting ALL but one notify sound from the sound files. Where is this thing hiding.
Please help as my tomtom X30 series is about to become the first one to set off a gatso as I throw it out the window as I drive past it
Cheers Cheers!
Stebbo
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you go into Warn When Near, which screen do you see after the distance setting? And which, if any, Option is selected?

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
Stebbo14
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldboy wrote:
When you go into Warn When Near, which screen do you see after the distance setting? And which, if any, Option is selected?

Richard,
after the distance screen I get the screen which asks "elect a warning sound" there is thn a large list of icons which start with Bell 1. In this list however are my pocketgps_uk_gatso_40.wav etc.
I am not sure how to delete the other sounds as I can't find them in the folders on the tomtom. In the "Sounds" folder the only sound other than the pocketgps ones is one marked "Notify"
Any ideas
Cheers
Stebbo
Calomax
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I put these into the sounds folder
The warnings should be .ogg files and they should be in the map folder. Then when you go to Warn when near, you should be asked "Is this the sound you want to use" although you won't actually hear anything. Then just say yes.

I think you'd best delete those .wav files and download them again from the PGPSW site, making sure you unzip them & put them in the map folder. Backup first with Explorer though.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calomax beat me too it. The only way we can be sure to resolve this is for you to remove all the .wav files and any .ogg files you have and to disable all the camera warnings so we can start afresh.

Then copy the .ogg files that match the dtabase you have installed into the map folder and re-configure the warnings as per our instructions on the .ogg file download page.
Stebbo14
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys now converted all the wav files and removed them from the tomtom device (sounds folder). Just to make sure I get this right before I move the OGG files to the map folder, how do I disable the tomtom warnings other than going thro' the removal process. If this doesn't make sense its probably because I'm being dim !!!!!!!!!!
Stop it!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll need to reconfigure each POI and remove the warn when near setting. What do you mean by 'converted all the wav files'? If you have made your own, do their names match the POI files?
Stebbo14
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Darren,
Seems to be working ok. I did all this at the very beginning as this is the same set up as my previous tomtom but it did not like the OGG files for some reason in the map folder ?????????????? which is why I converted them to wav files as all the sounds on the X30 series are wav files.
Hopefully it will stay working.
Thanks again
Stebbo
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The x30 does support ogg files for warnings as that is what I have been using on my 930 for a while, you must have something set incorectly for it not to work this way. - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it's sorted.
As far as I know though, the situation is:
1. you can use .ogg files, placed in the map folder, named exactly as the camera ov2 files. These will be picked up automatically and played, so long as you have gone through the "warn when near" set-up for each (and said "yes" to the "is this the sound you want" question)

2. you can use ogg files named whatever you like placed in the "sounds" folder. These can be selected from the normal sound effects menu. Sub-folders within the "sounds" folder can also be used.

3. you can also use wav files in the sounds folder as above.

For all of them, the files DO need to be the correct format. 22050Hz 8 bit mono seems to work in both ogg and wav. Other sample rates may work too.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: