Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tom tom voice warnings
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tom tom voice warnings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mick7020
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: tom tom voice warnings Reply with quote

h all..

i have searched this forum to the end...but cant find my answer...

I have just bought the tomtom spead cameras from here and the ogg voices to go wit it.

have followed all of the instructions given and each time i try and associate a voice with the speed camera the tomtom freezes and says no photo...

i think i may have wasted my money and would like a refund.....any moderators watching please point me in the right direction for getting a refund or offer some personal help

tomtom one version 3 uk
tomtom home version 2
tomtom firmware 7.162

for the sake of 20.00 i would rather have the tomtom version than mess around on a computer for ages trying to solve problems that should have been solved before they put it up for sale?use

look forward to a reply

cheers

Mick
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mick7020 and welcome to the forum. There is alot of help offered here and if you just ask people will point you in the right direction and most problems are sorted quite easily so would you mind if i helped you before you ask the PGPS team for a refund.
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, we can sort this easily.

The clue is where you say "have followed all of the instructions given and each time i try and associate a voice with the speed camera the tomtom freezes and says no photo... "

If you look at the instructions again, it should say somewhere, something like "when it asks you whether this is the sound you want to use, reply "yes" even though you haven't heard anything!. If you reply "no" the machine will lock up with a message about no photos...".

This is a known bug in the TT software.

Any more problems, report back, as we can show you another method if this doesn't work for you, but if you do as above it should all be fine.

Oh, and by the way... the voice alerts are free. You're only paying for the database. (or to be STRICTLY accurate, you're paying for all of the site membership and the camera database is a free perk, but you know what I mean!)

Last edited by Andy_P on Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was my next step. Wink Rolling Eyes
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry 'if', our posts must have crossed. Didn't see yours until mine had gone in.
mick7020
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: reply to helpers Reply with quote

hi,

i have followed your ideas and the instructions again....to no avail..
Each time i say yes and allow it to select the sound...(it does not give me the chance to select the sound required...i.e gatso 30mph) it just adds the camera to the poi lst as completed....

If i cant add the voices then the database is usless for me.....id even go so far as to allow someone to have remote access of my computer to sort and finish the job for me.....if however i cant solve this prob...then i would like my refund

sorry to be blunt but i dont want to spend lots of time on this......busy busy and all that.

Mick
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mick7020

You dont have to select a sound the system does it for you so long as they are named the same as the camera files.

theripper
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mick7020 wrote:

Each time i say yes and allow it to select the sound...(it does not give me the chance to select the sound required...i.e gatso 30mph) it just adds the camera to the poi lst as completed....

That is exactly what should happen!!
Try running a demo route past a camera, and see if it is now working.

Please be aware that the way this works, is an undocumented feature, that TT may change or remove at any time without warning, so the way it is set up IS a little "unfriendly"

The sequence of events should be:
1.Go to warn when near
2.Select the first camera type/speed on the list
3. Answer "no" to the question "pocketgps uk gatso 20 - Remove Warning?"
3.Type in the distance at which you want to be warned and tap "OK"
4. If you have text to speech, it will ask you to select 'Full spoken warning', 'Brief spoken warning', 'Sound Effect', or 'Type in own warning' - select 'Sound Effect' and tap "Done". If you don't have text to speech, ignore this step.
5. Then when it asks if this is the sound you want to use tap "Yes" (even though you heard nothing).
6. Select "Warn only if POI is on route" or not as per your own preference
7.Repeat with the next camera speed/type on the list until you have dealt with all 24 of them (or 31 of your use the optional 'pMobile' files and have loaded sounds for those too).

Now, if you REALLY can't get it working this way, come back and I'll take you through an alternative method.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: reply to helpers Reply with quote

mick7020 wrote:
i have followed your ideas and the instructions again....to no avail..

It seems to me that the ONLY thing you haven't done correctly already is test whether the sounds work!!

Do as Andy says, plan a route, then tap Details and then do a Demo at 100% and if your route goes past a camera, it'll speak to you. If you like, Navigate from postcode BS16PU to BA12HG, that's got cameras on it (it's not as good as Mike's test route, but I don't have his details).

Cheer up - You've probably got loads of time to be busy, busy before you get to my age and if I can do this almost blindfolded, you can master it easy peasy instead of giving up. I promise you, you'd regret getting TT cameras if you can compare them with these here.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: reply to helpers Reply with quote

mick7020 wrote:
.id even go so far as to allow someone to have remote access of my computer to sort and finish the job for me....

How very kind of you!
Please don't forget we are just punters like yourself, we're not paid to help people and we're pretty busy too. I've already done a 12 hour day at work, I'm just lucky I have a job where I can type with the other hand!

And by the way, the database is what you paid for, the add-on soundand voices are just extras that (again) people have put loads of time and effort into creating, and sharing with the community. It doesn't go down very well to be told that YOU can't spend the time. Follow the instructions and it DOES work.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good on yer, Andy.

And now it seems we've got one of those who doesn't let us know how he got on after the latest advice. Probably busy, poor lamb. Glad I'm a layabout, couldn't stand the pace.

Hey, I've just thought - I should tell him to RTFM, or is that unfair considering I never did (RTFM, that is)? Laughing

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
unwanted
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFS... I have M.E. and worked out how to do it... on my mothers TomTom 300 and my TomTomOne... its not that difficult... (with some time, (and patience) which some appear to need more of) one thing you have to make sure you do is BackUp your Memory card before you mess about with it (just in case something goes wrong) Embarassed

everything is drag n drop to the maps folders... but then again I am using one of those (so called stupid computers) called an Apple Mac... and not one of those fantastic PC's so many people rave about... Wink then I just tell the TomTom to notify me that I am near a POI and select the speed cameras... DONE! (thanks Gordon!) Very Happy

thanks to the person that did the voice warnings and thanks to pgps for giving an alternative to tomtom

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: