Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom 720 £153
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom 720 £153
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Tomtom 720 £153 Reply with quote

See the tread below, but be quick before they pull the offer!! Basically Argos have sent out an email with a price of £159.99(probably an error) for the 720, if you take the email to PCworld or Comet and get them to price match you also get 10% of the price difference back(about £7).

email

tomtom720
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sneaky! Laughing
portman
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought i'd better put this here instead of the Tomtom forum as i'd get hounded out of town by all those Tomtom 720 owners!!!!!!!!!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

portman wrote:
Thought i'd better put this here instead of the Tomtom forum as i'd get hounded out of town by all those Tomtom 720 owners!!!!!!!!!!
One of us could allways move it though, and now the shops know the error they will be less co-operative to give the device away, nice one to those that got it at the price though 10 out of 10 - Mikme
trapper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link on the email now shows £223.99 SAVING £106.00 with an apology for the incorrect price stated on the email.

Tom Tom's website now shows the TT720 Europe with reduced price of £223.99 Exclamation Exactly the same as Argus's SALE price. Pity the poor people who just paid over £300 pre-Christmas Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Hey, that's competition for you Exclamation
hersheywillow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Tomtom 720 argos price Reply with quote

I printed off the email from a link on this site today and took it to argos to see if i could buy one. Although they had one in stock the girl on the till went and phoned head office then returned and refused to sell it at less than the correct price of 229.00 and said the case was closed as this advert was a mistake, sorry etc.
I then went to currys to have a look around like you do when the manager walked by, so i quickly asked him to look at the email and he said wow what a great deal. I told him that i had just went to argos to buy it but they refused to sell it as the price was a misprint.
He then said misprint or not they have to sell it at the price in the advert even if it is wrong. I then said that if this is the case will you match this price and he did so on the spot even after i told him it was not the current store price just a mistake on their sale flyer. All he did was to check my local argos had one in stock and then wiped £64.00 off it on the spot even though the argos price was correct on their website.
Just one last point - I always buy my stuff at currys if possible as they are only up the road if it has a problem and i do find they will exchange items without any problem. Very Happy
Argos are Exclamation Mad
jacksona
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Just been to Comet in Westwood (Thanet, Kent). Took printed email to young assistant, who went to ask the manager if they would match the price. Came back in less than a minute to say that they would!

Am a very happy camper! Very Happy

Adam.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, under UK law a retailer is under no obligation to sell at an advertised price whether it is correct or not. The manager at Currys who stated otherwise is wrong.
cash_13
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure about that if so they have changed the law recently Question
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite sure and this has always been the case. A contract is only formed when they offer an item and the buyer pays. If they accept the money then the contract has been formed. Only then are they required to honour an advertised price.

It's a common misconception, on occasion retailers may sell the item that was incorrectly priced as a goodwill gesture but they are not required to do so unless they took your money.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that was why they always had to have "E&OE" (Errors and omissions excepted) somewhere in the small print. Otherwise you could hold them to it.
With that get-out, they are in the clear.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst that term is often used, it is not a legal requirement and it's omission would still not place any obligation on a retailer to sell an item mistakenly priced or not.
cash_13
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if thats the case then I have had some real bargains in shops because I have always had that misconception and have kicked and screamed till I got my own way........ Shocked

I shall continue to be misguided Laughing
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, if it works for you then why not Wink
trapper
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren is 100% correct, there is no law that says any retailer has to sell an item to you if they don't want to. Likewise 'Price Match' is a goodwill gesture on the part of the second retailer who wants your cash but these often have many conditions applied.

If you have got what you want by causing a member of staff grief then they have probably agreed because they are fed up with being ear bashed while trying to uphold orders from their bosses in Head Office Exclamation Exclamation The ones who don't have to face the ranting customer who is waving a bit of paper at them.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: