Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Faulty Clip On??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Faulty Clip On??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMNewey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:06 pm    Post subject: Faulty Clip On?? Reply with quote

Hi,

I have recently purchase a Fortuna Clip On having read a number of good reviews about the receiver, however yesterday I used it in 'anger' and was very disappointed by the performance. The sky was very overcast but on the ST mode, it took about 20 minutes to acquire a fix even though it was sensing at least 3 satelites!

I finally reached my destination and turned it off for three hours, when I returned I switched it on, and again after 10 minutes I still didn't get a fix, I ended up using the XT mode, which even though it was picking up at least 4 satelites didn't acquire a fix for a further 20 minutes!

Is this normal? I thought that there was just a 45 second delay after a cold start? or is this a faulty unit?

BTW I am in the UK, and I was driving in fairly open motorway.

Regards

David
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,

Ensure that the Clip-On is definitely in ST mode, remove the battery for a few minutes then replace the battery. This will reset the Clip-On should there be a problem.

Take the Clip-On outside and leave it switched on when it has a clear view of the sky. The satellite LED should soon tell you that it’s got a fix by turning green within a few minutes.

Which SatNav package are you using? I’m going to have to guess TTNav x.xx. If this is the case then TTNav wouldn’t be happy until you’re a few metres away from a public road that it knows.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
tjc
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same thing driving from Plymouth to Southampton on Sunday. Kept losing the satellite fix even though it was showing three or more bars. put it down to overcast conditions. When the sun came out it was ok for most of the time.

I was in a truck which does only have forward visibility ie not upwards as you do in a car if the unit is on the dash.

In the car worked fine for the rest of the day
DMNewey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Well I charged it up last night even though the battery wasn't dead, made sure it was it ST mode waited 35 mins at home for it to load the sat. positions and then turned it off.

Turned it on this morning, and 35 minutes again before a fix, even though it was on the dashboard!!!

Yes I am using TT2, but the GPS receiver is independant of this as the LED's show you when it thinks it has a fix.

I am starting to think that maybe the volatile memory on the receiver keeps being wiped?
DMNewey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject: Okay hands up, it was my fault Reply with quote

Embarassed Well, I seemed to have sorted it. After playing around I have discovered that in ST mode, if I turn the receiver on outside the car it aquires a fix <45sec, then when I get in the car it keeps the fix. If however I turn it on inside the car it doesn't get the fix!!

I tried this today on a very wet overcast day and still got a fix within 1 minute!! I can only put the earlier problems getting a lock whilst travelling down to the fact that I was moving and the GPS reciever although placed on the dash must have a problem getting a lock inside my Picasso!

Any other thoughts?!?!
Genie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read that some cars have heated windscreens and can limit the signal you receive inside the car. This could be the cause of the problems you are having. I'm not sure where you can check if this is the case with your car.

You probably need an external antenna.
hollis_f
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the big advantages of bluetooth is that the GPS receiver doesn't need to be where you can see it. I had a hire car once that obviously had one of the problem windscreens. Lying on the dash it took about 20 minutes to get a fix. When I placed the receiver on the rear shelf it too about 20 seconds.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: