Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Dell Axim X5 and SysOnChip - Works!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Dell Axim X5 and SysOnChip - Works!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:19 pm    Post subject: Dell Axim X5 and SysOnChip - Works! Reply with quote

Had the opportunity yesterday to borrow an Axim X5 upgraded to Windows Mobile 2003 and the SysOnChip CF Plus card I originally reviewed work fine on the Dell Axim.

If anyone has problems with TomTom Navigator, choosing the SysOnChip card in the top driver box, select NMEA 0183v2 4800 and then select the SysOnChip in the bottom pull down combo box and you should be good to go! Thumbs Up
mdekker15
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Dell Axim X5 and SysOnChip - Works! Reply with quote

Dave,

I have a Axim X5 running Windows PPC2002. The syson doesn't work with it. I tried your settings for TomTom to be sure, but didn't work. The LED stays red.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may need to upgrade the firmware on the X5, I've seen it working on an X5 okay.
redinski
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: SysOnChip & Axim X5 NON STARTER Reply with quote

Hi,

Well after 4 hours of total frustration, I find I am in the same boat. I cannot get this to work with my X5. I have updated with everything from Dell, I am using MS PPC Ver 4.20.1081 (Build 13100).

I have tried various programs suggested by other websites to get it going all to no avail. Whenever I try the settings for SysOnChip GPS Viewer listed in the almost none existant instructions the power light stays red and the PPC locks up. The only way to fix this is also a soft reboot.

If you can offer any further assistance it would be appreciated before my GPS gets a close look at the satellites as it is launched from my window. Sad
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be an inherent issue with the Dell's. Using the same Axim X5 that my SysOnChip CF Plus card works on, trying another SysOnChip CF Plus card wouldn't work, but that card would work in 4 other PDA's.

The only thing I can assume is it's something to do with the ROM version on the SysOnChip compared to the ROM version on the X5.
redinski
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: SYSONCHIP & DELL AXIM Reply with quote

I have found a solution to the problem, you must change the GPS Hardware, I changed mine (supplier agreed it was incompatible) for a Haicom 303S and within seconds was up and running.

After days of frustration it was nice to get a product that worked immediately, straight from the box. So if like me you were trying to get these two pieces of hardware working together, save yourself the agrovation and change the GPS. 8)
Muji
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI there, does anyone know where i can get a copy of the windows mobile 2003 for axim X5, called DELL they were useless and dont supply it. Having problems trying to get this GPS working on mine, tried on friends X5 and worked perfect. Thanks
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dell are the only people who can supply the Operating System upgrade; unlike Windows for desktop computers, Pocket PC has to be built specifically for each hardware platform.

It's possible that they've discontinued the upgrade kits; HP are discontinuing those for iPAQs at the end of the month.

David
jaapniet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: I figured that the problem would have been fixed...... Reply with quote

Today my Sysonchip cf plus II was delivered. Although I was aware of the problems, I figured things would be solved now. Well....They aren't. My AximX5 stalls. Does anyone know of fixes that have been made in the meantime?

Jaap

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: