Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Safety Camera Question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Safety Camera Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ianb11
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Safety Camera Question Reply with quote

I managed to get a free upgrade on the maps from TomTom so now I have both maps on a 1GB SD Card.

I am currently using the safety cameras from TomTom on the "old" map but on the "new" map they don't show up or give any alerts even though it is set up to do so.

When I go into the "new" map folder through Windows Explorer the icons aren't in there but they show as being installed on TomTom Home (presumably for the "old"map).

Do I have to install the cameras on the new map? If so, how?

Also, if I have the free subscription for 12 months from TomTom for the cameras, can I transfer it to the new or map or do I have to pay again?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Safety Camera Question Reply with quote

ianb11 wrote:

Also, if I have the free subscription for 12 months from TomTom for the cameras, can I transfer it to the new or map or do I have to pay again?

I don't use the TT cameras, so I'm not sure. I would guess that if you Switch Map to the new map, then connect to TT Home it will probably show you cameras to install.

Your subscription is probably tied to your login identity, not the map, so you'll continue to receive TT camera updates as frequently as you have done up to now. Just to satisfy my curiosity, how long have you been subscribed to TT cameras and how many updates and how frequently have you already received?

If by any chance you are asking hypothetical question to decide whether to subscribe to TT cameras - DON'T! Get the cameras from this site instead - more of them, more accurate, frequent updates and (Trumpet Call!!!) CHEAPER.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
ianb11
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Safety Camera Question Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
ianb11 wrote:

I don't use the TT cameras, so I'm not sure. I would guess that if you Switch Map to the new map, then connect to TT Home it will probably show you cameras to install.

Your subscription is probably tied to your login identity, not the map, so you'll continue to receive TT camera updates as frequently as you have done up to now. Just to satisfy my curiosity, how long have you been subscribed to TT cameras and how many updates and how frequently have you already received?

If by any chance you are asking hypothetical question to decide whether to subscribe to TT cameras - DON'T! Get the cameras from this site instead - more of them, more accurate, frequent updates and (Trumpet Call!!!) CHEAPER.

I've connected to TT Home since I got the maps & it hasn't updated anything.

I've had the TT about about a month & I would guess I've had a couple of updates in that time when I've connected to Home but I don't remember getting any updates for the cameras.

I'm going to try & the copy the Camera files from the "old"map to "new" map by Windows Explorer & see if that works.

On your last point, I will deffo get the PGPSW cameras when my TT subscription expires. CHEAPER!!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck. But TT have been changing their method of doing the cameras, so it's quite possible that the cameras you see in TT Home are NOT the current cameras.
I'm struggling a bit here - how familiar are you with TT Home? Three columns, cameras showing in the right hand column. Updates of anything - cameras, voices, operating software - download and show in the centre column and you have to click on install to put them into the Device. Does that mean something? (sorry, that's why I'm struggling, if you've only had the device a month, I don't know whether you don't understand or are laughing at my own ignorance Confused ).

My theory was that if you connect with the new map in use, it won't show Home any installed cameras and Home will get and install them.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
ianb11
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
Good luck. But TT have been changing their method of doing the cameras, so it's quite possible that the cameras you see in TT Home are NOT the current cameras.
I'm struggling a bit here - how familiar are you with TT Home? Three columns, cameras showing in the right hand column. Updates of anything - cameras, voices, operating software - download and show in the centre column and you have to click on install to put them into the Device. Does that mean something? (sorry, that's why I'm struggling, if you've only had the device a month, I don't know whether you don't understand or are laughing at my own ignorance Confused ).

My theory was that if you connect with the new map in use, it won't show Home any installed cameras and Home will get and install them.

Dennis, appreciate your help mate.

They are deffo in there on the right hand side but they only seem to be there for the "old" map.

I'll try to add the files to the "new" map folder & see what happens.

I'll let you know!
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
On your last point, I will deffo get the PGPSW cameras when my TT subscription expires. CHEAPER!!!
Try paying for amonth and run PGPSW Safety Cameras alongside the TT ones to see which you find the better. I don't think you'll be waiting for your TT subscription to expire. The pproof of the ppudding, is in the eye of the pbeholder. :P
ianb11
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to update, I've transferred the safety camera files to the "new" maps & it works!

It seems that TomTom provided the map free without the cameras.

Not sure if this is usual but quite frankly now it works I'm not bothered!

Thanks for your help chaps.
ianb11
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lost_Property wrote:
Quote:
Try paying for amonth and run PGPSW Safety Cameras alongside the TT ones to see which you find the better. I don't think you'll be waiting for your TT subscription to expire. The pproof of the ppudding, is in the eye of the pbeholder. :P

I've read on here millions of times that the PGPSW cameras are far better than the TomTom cameras.

If they really are that much better, perhaps I shouldn't wait for TT cameras to expire?!?

Is it realtively easy to delete the TT cameras & install the PGPSW cameras?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ian, take a few mins to read through the help guides listed on This Page, the items of interest should be:
#4 installing the PGPSW cameras
#5 Spoken alrts (if you want them)
#13 Removal of the TT speed cameras to avoid double warnings

If you still have to back up your device I suggest you also read item one on the linked page as this is vital BEFORE you do anything else - Mike
ianb11
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
ian, take a few mins to read through the help guides listed on This Page, the items of interest should be:
#4 installing the PGPSW cameras
#5 Spoken alrts (if you want them)
#13 Removal of the TT speed cameras to avoid double warnings

If you still have to back up your device I suggest you also read item one on the linked page as this is vital BEFORE you do anything else - Mike

Thanks Mike, will take a look mate.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: