Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin 660 or TomTom One XL?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin 660 or TomTom One XL?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
panason1c
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Garmin 660 or TomTom One XL? Reply with quote

Hi everyone, I'm a newbie here and also to the portable gps world!....(i have a 7 year old cd based system in my car)
I recently witnessed my friends TT One v3 in action and was so impressed at how much they have improved, compared to my old system, that i want one!....
I dont want bells and whistles, just relatively basic navigating though 'text to speech' seems a good thing though?.
Anyway....after looking at the vast array available i have narrowed my choice down to two models..the TT One XL or the Garmin 660....can someone tell me their opinion on which to go for as i keep bouncing between the two Confused ?
I live in Spain (Murcia) so is the mapping any better or worse for spain between the two models, etc.

ps...i have used the 'search' facility but there are so many conflicting opinions on different models that i decided to make my decision based on the replies i receive here.

Many thanks in advance for your help.
Regards.
andydigital44
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing i can tell you for sure is that there is no text to speech on the TomTom One XL. Although here is a review of the XL if you are still interested.
panason1c
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andydigital44 wrote:
One thing i can tell you for sure is that there is no text to speech on the TomTom One XL. Although here is a review of the XL if you are still interested.

Thanks for that, i was aware that the XL didnt have tts but i would like to know (if possible) which unit is the better overall in the opinion of users?........i am just slightly more inclined to go for the Garmin at the moment but, as it will be a couple of weeks before i can buy, i am open to be swayed either way.
Cheers.....
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panason1c wrote:
which unit is the better overall in the opinion of users?
That will be rather difficult as the ONE XL has only just been announced, so the user base will be very small at this point in time, as far as I know the people who wrote the review linked to above do not have a Garmin 660 to compare it with.
Tim is using a Zumo and I have a 310D from the Garmin stable - Mike
panason1c
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
panason1c wrote:
which unit is the better overall in the opinion of users?
That will be rather difficult as the ONE XL has only just been announced, so the user base will be very small at this point in time Mike

Hopefull, within the next couple of weeks some new XL owners will post their first impressions of it here.

If only the XL had tts then my decision would be so much easier.......or is tts that useful?
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi panason1c,

panason1c wrote:
If only the XL had tts then my decision would be so much easier.......or is tts that useful?

I have experienced TTS on a PDA running CoPilot 5 (current version is now v7). Once you get used to it, it was OK. CoPilot 5 TTS has a few idiosyncrasies, e.g. it used to say "milez" instead of miles. One of the main things is the way it speaks road numbers like the A4143 (there are a number of permutations for TTS to say "A4143 ").

I have not experienced the TTS that the TomTom 910 uses. It is the Loquendo speech engine which is far more advanced that the one that CoPilot 5 uses – although you would expect that as the 910 is a much more up-to-date device.

Basically, TTS is a nice feature, but it’s not essential. However it’s your money so try it and see whether you need or want TTS. Thumbs Up

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TTS system on the TomTom 910 is nothing short of excellent, I find it helps a great deal when in unknown locations to have the device actually read out the street names, not everyone’s cup of tea but I certainly miss it on the ONE XL.
I would like to see TomTom offer the TTS as an upgrade path for other devices in the range, I am sure it would sell well. They could make available single TTS voices for download once purchased, the purchase cost would then have to cover the Loquendo license fee so it wouldn't be a £5 per voice option - wishful thinking though as they will probably keep the TTS for the top of the range device - Mike
missing_user

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
quote="panason1c
Thanks for that, i was aware that the XL didnt have tts but i would like to know (if possible) which unit is the better overall in the opinion of users?........i am just slightly more inclined to go for the Garmin at the moment but, as it will be a couple of weeks before i can buy, i am open to be swayed either way.
Cheers....

I am a Garmin user and tried the 660 recently!

You can not create routes on the PC and transfer them.

It does not keep tracks of your travels.

It can only use one via point in a route so as a result, you are stuck with the unit's computed route! I like to 'force' the unit to use my criteria not blindly follow Garmin's!

In a strange City like Rome, I like to put in the attractions for the day as via points and then walk around them knowing exactly where I am and how far to go and how many minutes to each. You cannot with this unit.

You cannot plan in advance the four day journey to Sorrento with fuel stops and Toll Booths and the caravan sites.

Garmin refuse to supply the CityNavigator Europe DVD with the unit

We all have different needs from a GPS unit, the list above indicates what was missing for me!
panason1c
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strumble wrote:
Quote:
quote="panason1c
Cheers....

I am a Garmin user and tried the 660 recently!

You can not create routes on the PC and transfer them.

It does not keep tracks of your travels.

It can only use one via point in a route so as a result, you are stuck with the unit's computed route! I like to 'force' the unit to use my criteria not blindly follow Garmin's!

In a strange City like Rome, I like to put in the attractions for the day as via points and then walk around them knowing exactly where I am and how far to go and how many minutes to each. You cannot with this unit.

You cannot plan in advance the four day journey to Sorrento with fuel stops and Toll Booths and the caravan sites.

Garmin refuse to supply the CityNavigator Europe DVD with the unit

We all have different needs from a GPS unit, the list above indicates what was missing for me!

Hmm, now i'm tempted by the XL instead.......... Confused

Thanks guys, please keep the comments coming, I really appreciate it and it really is a great help.

(Brilliant site by the way)

:D
missing_user

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhhhhh, but can the other unit do those things?
I don't know!

I use the iQue for 'serious' navigation and the 60CSX for everyday use or walkabout!
panason1c
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

strumble wrote:
Ahhhhhh, but can the other unit do those things?
I don't know!

I do want a unit that stores my 'previous' journeys...

Help Confused

Just a thought.....
If i bought the XL now in its current form, and if TomTom later brought out a newer version of the XL but with TTS.....is it likely that i could 'upgrade' my unit to TTS with a download? ....or is this a feature that is built into the hardware during manufacture?

Thanks
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you define 'stores my previous journeys' more clearly? The XL, like other TomToms, can store itineraries, but you have to create them first and then save them.

The x10 range could all use TTS, although it was only supplied and licenced on the 910. Unscrupulous people found out about this and installed it on their 5 and 710s and it worked. Then TomTom upgraded the software and somehow made it only work on the 910. That being the case, I'd say it could be enabled for any TomTom but it could be a limitation of processor power which might prevent TomTom from doing this. The XL has a 266MHz processor against the x10s' 400MHz.
panason1c
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim Buxton wrote:
Can you define 'stores my previous journeys' more clearly? The XL, like other TomToms, can store itineraries, but you have to create them first and then save them.

The x10 range could all use TTS, although it was only supplied and licenced on the 910. Unscrupulous people found out about this and installed it on their 5 and 710s and it worked. Then TomTom upgraded the software and somehow made it only work on the 910. That being the case, I'd say it could be enabled for any TomTom but it could be a limitation of processor power which might prevent TomTom from doing this. The XL has a 266MHz processor against the x10s' 400MHz.

Thanks for that.

Sorry i wasnt clear....A feature i like is that when my friend plans a journey on his TTone, the trip is then kept in the memory and he can look back over his last few trips and re-select any of them......that was what i meant when i described it as storing previous journeys......can all the sat navs do this?

Cheers.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a trip is planned and saved as an .itn, it can be saved, stored and even shared. TomToms do not save 'breadcrumb' tracks that you can look at on a PC but some others can. Garmin and Navman have this facility, on some models at least.
andydigital44
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

panason1c wrote:
Tim Buxton wrote:

Thanks for that.

Sorry i wasnt clear....A feature i like is that when my friend plans a journey on his TTone, the trip is then kept in the memory and he can look back over his last few trips and re-select any of them......that was what i meant when i described it as storing previous journeys......can all the sat navs do this?

Cheers.

All tomtoms remember the last 10 journeys that you made, by that i mean it will show you the last 10 or so destinations that you entered, it wont remember the route taken to those destinations though, but it does let you quickly reselect that destination without having to go through entering an address again for example.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: