Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Difficulties with POI download webpage today
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Difficulties with POI download webpage today
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz Wrote:
Quote:
Correct me if I am wrong but we do state that in the very download page.

If it is I cant find it have also searched download forum, see plenty of questions and not many positive answers and reference to ie7 and apple problems, but anyway I dont want to get into an argumant because I do honestly think you are trying to do very worthwile job, so back to the subject:
Thanks for suggestion, so just tried downloading as garmin, results as follows based on shopping cat:
1) Download combined - when unzipping showed unexpected end of archive, unable to unzip
2) Download combined with show link - appeared to be Ok, but when tried to open in poiedit to convert showed "File open error" then "name is not a valid floating point value"
3) Seperate files - Appeared to unzip ok, but but when read no files show.
4) Seperate with show link - Fine showed all bmp and ov2 files
Lutz Hope this helps you, I am using IE6 and I am rather bewildered whilst a lot are having problems it does seem that some are downloading quite happily, perhaps they may know of a reason.
But thanks for response, at least now i know there perhaps is a problem with database i can be patient a little longer and hope it can be sorted soon.
Keep up the good work
missing_user

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having difficulty viewing the City of St Davids POIs except at certain locations and Zoom.
Anyone else having problems with this location?

Centre Latitude: 51.8827 Longitude: -5.2705
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

strumble wrote:
Anyone else having problems with this location?
Any particular categories?

I have very few POIs showing.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
missing_user

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Normally I can see them at 2000ft zoom, today only at 200ft and only if I move the map around!

If I'm lucky I can see four Icons in total.

Other areas in Wales seem to be working normally!
missing_user

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Centre Latitude: 51.8810 Longitude: -5.2659

Could somebody else try the POI map at that location and see if they can see the icons - The Cathedral for one - and at what zoom level.
Thanks
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Firefox 1.5 I see the POI icons from a zoom level of 500m and closer (both the 500m and 1km scale has "2000ft" marked).

In IE6 at that location I don't see any icons at all at any zoom level, but there is a Exclamation message at the bottom saying "Errors in page".

If I look at central London in IE6, I do see the icons at zooms of 500m and closer, but still get lots of "Errors on page" messages as the map is loading.
missing_user

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for trying.
I can see all UK at 2000feet and below but not the City of St Davids!

I use IE7.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoopee, managed to download fuel as combined categoey today, but still cannot download shopping,having usual problem of "page cannot be displayed" and then when refreshed get "Error in selection criteria" please dont bother suggesting a workround Ive tried them all, the only solution is to fix the flaming thing.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to be having more frequent problems with the POI download page at the moment, just like Andy did at the very beginning of this topic. I rarely get to see the list of POIs to download; I just see the message "Loading POI Categories...", and nothing ever loads.

Whatever I do, it doesn't seem to make much difference - CTRL + Refresh, logging out & back in again, deleting my temporary internet files, typing the URL directly rather than following a link ... I've tried all of these in various combinations, but to no avail.

I occasionally do see the full list, but it appears to be fairly random, and only after several attempts to reload the page. Often I just have to give up.

I'm using Internet Explorer; the problem seems to occur with both IE6 & IE7, although IE7 seems to be slightly worse.

Has anyone got any ideas?
andydigital44
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a decent browser like Firefox Wink

I know even Firefox has its fair share of problems, but it works fine for me with the POI database. Actually Firefox is my main browser now and 99.99% of sites i visit with it work great. You've also got to love the Adblocking add-ons and stuff you can get for it too.
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing browser is not an option for many people. Company policy dictates that Internet Explorer is the browser installed on company PCs/laptops.

Also, Internet Explorer is the most commonly used browser throughout the world, and it's unlikely that this will change in the near future. Unfortunately, this means that web sites have to be compatible with IE in order for the general public to access them successfully.

Has anyone got any suggestions as to how the Download POI page can be seen successfully (& regularly!!) using IE?
lochaber
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
Whoopee, managed to download fuel as combined categoey today, but still cannot download shopping,having usual problem of "page cannot be displayed" and then when refreshed get "Error in selection criteria" please dont bother suggesting a workround Ive tried them all, the only solution is to fix the flaming thing.

I'm new to all this and thought it was me as I've been playing on and off for about a week with POI's but I'm getting the same response with all POI's. Using IE6 and also tried Firefox which displays nothing!

Managed to get ATM's last night but the rest still fail Sad
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lochaber, If you are downloading all ATMs, then you are nearly on the max download limit of 23 sub categories if lucky, the ATMs contain 22 entries, I find the best limit is 20, try and redownload limited to 20 and you should find works ok, if you need more the download second file using different name and append in poiedit.
Hope this helps
lochaber
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

I have been trying agin this morning and discovered some smaller categories will work. So far I have managed to get:
ATM
Fuel
Healthcare
Heritage
Pharmacy
Special Interest
Transport
Wi-Fi

I thought that keeping the categories under one heading would make searching easier on TT but it looks like it's not as simple as that Sad
Looks like the problem POI's are:
Accomodation
Food & Drink
Shopping

I'll try your suggestion.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are all high entry categories, In some cases I only download the ones I need to limit numbers. see new posting

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: