Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom software is driving me crazy
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom software is driving me crazy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kmmoore1013
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: TomTom software is driving me crazy Reply with quote

Because of the appaling way that Navman are treating its customers, I decided to purchase TomTom v2 instead and have it installed on my system alongside Smart ST v1.91

I cannot get TomTom to get a sat fix though.

I have a Navman 3400 with an Ipaq 3970. Thanks to the anti-static bag trick, Smart ST gets an initial fix in about 40 seconds, usually getting 5-7 sats. TomTom gets nothing. It just sits there mocking me.

I have done a search in the forums and get the impression that I need to set the GPS to NMEA 4800 and Serial cable on COM1. This I have done and TomTom does nothing.

I did notice, however, that when I run Smart ST and check the GPS status on that, it lists the connection via COM6: Navman Ipaq GPS

I'd appreciate any thoughts on how I might get TomTom to work. I'm almost at the stage where I wish I'd paid the extra and upgraded to Smart ST v2.

Thanks,
Kevin.
Nick412
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

go through the tomtom wizard, and select your gps receiver and select the com port it is connected to.

the tick the blue square box to the right and click ok.

exit tomtom switch off the pda

switch back on

load tomtom

attach gps.

Hope this help.

Cheers
Nick
kmmoore1013
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried changing the COM port to COM6 (this is what Smart ST says it is) but COM6 isn't listed. Only [Serial cable on] COM1, COM3, COM5 and COM7 [BT] and COM8 [BT].

I have tried them all to no avail. Is there some way I can change the COM port of the Navman 3400 from COM6 to COM1 so I can select this with TomTom ? or will this mean that Smart ST won't work then either ?

Thanks,
MikeC
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have tried changing the COM port to COM6 (this is what Smart ST says it is) but COM6 isn't listed. Only [Serial cable on] COM1, COM3, COM5 and COM7 [BT] and COM8 [BT].

I have tried them all to no avail. Is there some way I can change the COM port of the Navman 3400 from COM6 to COM1 so I can select this with TomTom ? or will this mean that Smart ST won't work then either ?

Thanks,

A friend of mine had similar issues, have you tried loading the serial driver 3.1.6 ? This is available of the Navman website for using with non navman software..... following on from that we tried setting to a Navman 1000, 2000 then 3000, can't remember which one worked..... Also tried the Compaq navigation Sleeve option like I say one of these worked..... I will get him to check which one he finally opted for.....

Cheers, Mike
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom dropped native driver support from version 2. You can still use the jacket but you need to install the Navman Serial Driver available from here.

This will give you acces to the correct COM Port as well as adding an entry for the navman Jacket in the GPS Driver list Thumbs Up
kmmoore1013
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it amazing how simple things are when you know what you are doing Embarassed

Downloaded and installed the serial driver and had a GPS lock within 60 seconds with TomTom.

Time to go play now and see if it was a good purchase.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

Cheers,
Kevin.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: