Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Converting POI Files
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Converting POI Files

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
showard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Converting POI Files Reply with quote

Hi all,

Maybe a bit off topic here (and a newbie) but if I am then please forgive and redirect me Rolling Eyes

How can I convert a POI file from csv (POIEdit) into a format recognised by my Mio C510E (mtc file?) and where does it go in the directory structure.

Any help links etc. gratefully recieved.

Regards

Stan
ernest_mio
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan,

Take a look at:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=43988

Although the topic is titled "POI import in C710" what goes for this unit should work equally for your C510. Hopefully this will answer your question and get POIs in to your device.
showard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ernest.

Have had a quick look, and it appears to be promising. Probably a weekend job when I have more time to study the process in depth.

Regards

Stan
ernest_mio
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

showard wrote:
Thanks Ernest.

Have had a quick look, and it appears to be promising. Probably a weekend job when I have more time to study the process in depth.

Regards

Stan

No problems - if downlaoding poi explorer dont forget to check PC has .net framework as well.
showard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernest,

No problem, I am a Visual Basic programmer trying to convert to .Net so the files are already installed at each Windows update.

I had another go at this last night and managed to decode the Igo.db into kml format. Looked at the kml file in notepad (easiest way to look at XML type code) and it only appears to be 1KB in size and only contains the XML version, a URL for Google Earth and the name iGO POI, all in XML format (which I can't remember how to delimit so it shows as text in a post)

Admittedly, I didn't spend too much time with this as I was trying to cook dinner.

Is this correct, i.e. poiconvert is generating an empty file for me to populate or have I messed up?

Regards

Stan
ernest_mio
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

showard wrote:
Ernest,

No problem, I am a Visual Basic programmer trying to convert to .Net so the files are already installed at each Windows update.

I had another go at this last night and managed to decode the Igo.db into kml format. Looked at the kml file in notepad (easiest way to look at XML type code) and it only appears to be 1KB in size and only contains the XML version, a URL for Google Earth and the name iGO POI, all in XML format (which I can't remember how to delimit so it shows as text in a post)

Admittedly, I didn't spend too much time with this as I was trying to cook dinner.

Is this correct, i.e. poiconvert is generating an empty file for me to populate or have I messed up?

Regards

Stan

Stan - sounds iffy to me. I use the transfer hack to store a version on my pc - 624 KB (638,976 bytes). Then import the database using IGO POI Explorer. IGO POI Explorer can import from various differnt POI formats but I have had issues with XML/Google earth so have steered clear.
showard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernest,

My database file is part of a backup from the original MioMap on the C510E (no mods). I did a complete backup of 'My Flash Disk' using the Transfer Hack.

The only copy of IGO POI Explorer I have found so far is a beta version which crashes all the time. I'll go go a Google for another copy.

Regards

Stan
showard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernest,

Can't find anything apart from the beta version which crashes with the "send error report" if I try to do anything Confused

Stan
ernest_mio
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

showard wrote:
Ernest,

Can't find anything apart from the beta version which crashes with the "send error report" if I try to do anything Confused

Stan

Sounds like you have a .net issue - other have reported this before and the fix was to check the .net installation. This information is buried in the thread inidcated earlier = search for answers from sallyann.
showard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernest,

OK, now I have managed to get iGO POI Explorer running without crashing. I did this by installing ActiveSync and it now has a message on the status bar as 'Device Not Connected' rather than 'ActiveSync Not Found'

Next problem, I go to File, Import, select the copy of IGO.db and nothing, no entries, just nothing.

I will search around for answers but if you know what I am doing wrong then please let me know as I have the notify set on this thread.

Thanks

Stan
ernest_mio
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connect Mio to PC using USB cable.

Run Mio xfer hack.

Xfer screen appears on Mio and flash root directory appears on left on PC screen.

On MIO Devices side of screen:

Select My Flash Disk directory

Select MIOMAP

Select MIOMAP

Scroll down to igo.db (mine is 642KB)

Highlight onPC side area you want to save a copy of the file.

Select the right to left arrow - "syncronisation was successful"

Select the tick and exit MIO Xfer HACK.

Open IGO POI EXplorer

File, Import, Import database from file (offline)

Navigate to where you stored the copy of igo.db and select this.

Database should then be imported - its not quick!!

left hand panel will then showe all the MY POI data created.

I then use the file import to include various files downloaded from the internet. I have not been successful with google earth so tend towards ascii or csv format.

IGO POI explorer will put the imported file at the bottom of the list - you need to drag this up above the sync recyle bin to get it included in the file ready for export.

If this process fails alonfg the line then you have reached the limit of my knowledge I'm afraid - I poke and hope rather than confessing to being an expert - Laughing Laughing
showard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ernest,

Finally managed to crack this. I am now able to download POI files, convert them and transfer them to the IGO.db file.

Thenks for all of your help.

Regards

Stan

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: