Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New to the Site and GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New to the Site and GPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mi_Ck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: New to the Site and GPS Reply with quote

Hi all

Sorry folks but yes another GPS virgin with yet more questions. They may well have been asked before but I have searched for them on the site and cant find the answers.

My wife purchased a NAVMAN ICN550 for me for Christmas and I have been reading through the manual and quite a few threads on this site but I am finding it slightly confusing so if anyone could please help me out with a few answers it would be greatly appreciated.

1. I have managed to download and install the Cameras database. I downloaded the UK-Single File All Cams which I thought may be the right one as I do a lot of travelling around the country and I thought that may have been the most appropriate for my needs. Please correct me if I am wrong?

2. On top of the cameras database I also found a couple of MP3 files (Traffic Camera Ahead and Speed Camera Ahead) how do I install them to my ICN550 so that they work in conjunction with the database?

3. Having looked at a lot of threads there is a lot of information available, the problem being what to search for or where to find it. Is there a thread which will tell me what files are compatable with ICN550 for example can I use TOM TOM POIs on NAVMAN?

4. I have noticed that some of the pre-installed MAPS and POIs that come with the ICN550 are out of date, especially the M5 still being displayed as the A38. I did an update with SMARTST and it appears to have resolved that issue. Can anyone tell me what with all the new housing estatas going up and new roads being built do they get automatically updated via SMARST or is it a case of having to purchase updated maps?

5. One of the pre-installed POIs is Petrol Stations and I know that one of the ones still being displayed has been closed for the last 5 years. The reason I know this is because it was right behind my house. Can I remove that station from the Petrol Staion POI's I have installed and if so how do I do it or is it a case of uninstalling the Petrol Stations and installing each individual Brand station from the list here?
http://www.getoutguide.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/poidownloads/index.htm

Like I said these questions have probably already been asked a million times before so please accept my apologies but I just cant find the relevant answers.

Any links to anwsers would be greatly appreciated

Many Thanks in advance

Mick
Mi_Ck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further to my above post and since installing the Cameras database:

I am now unable to sync my iCN with SmarST. All I get whenever I try and Sync is "an error occured with your iCN please restart the iCN and reconnect". I have doen that numerous times but still no joy.

Active Sync is telling me I am connected but SmartST is telling me there is an error. I have swithched the unit on and off as the error states to do a number of times and still no joy. I have tried a re-set of the iCN but that didnt do anything. I unintsalled SmartSt and re-installed but that didnt do anything.

Any help to wjhat I posted above and now this problem would be appreciated.

Many Thanks
Mi_Ck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone????????
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lack of response could be due to lots of questions or lack of familiarity with the specific unit but to get he ball rolling. I will use the numbering in your original post

1. You have downloaded the correct file - it will have ALL camera types. All the files cover the whole of the UK. Not having your device I don't know how you go about loading them - but I would be very suprised if there isn't an article around this forum somewhere.

2 These are alternative sound files to play when approaching speed cameras. Don't worry too much about these until you are happy that you have the speed camera datbase working correctly - they are cosmetic only.

3 In general one manufacturer's POIs are NOT loadable on other devices - that's why there are multiple versions of the speed camera database POIs.

4. Installed POI's - manufacturers don't tend to keep them updated much - better to remove and load the ones you want. Maps - I'm suprised by the map discrepancy - how long has the A38 stretch you mentioned been the M5 (haven't been down that way for a few years now). If device was new contact the supplier about the age of the mapping info. But you will always find that the latest road changes are missing.

5 - See above

Re ActiveSync.

Upgrade to the latest version from the microsoft site - early versions of As 4 were a little buggy. Check with supplier of Navman unit to see which version is required.
Mi_Ck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh

Very many thanks for the reply, its appreciated.

Just to update on questions above as per the numbering

1. Camera database loaded and working fine now. Reason couldnt sink with SmartTS after installing was a Firewall issue, who knows why syncing the Navman and SmartTS requires an Internet connection but, it did and now I have thats set correctly it syncs fine.

2. Now I have the Cameras database working I would like to try and get these MP3 sound files in as the default warning is prity pants, so to speak.

3. Ref compatable files, read somewhere on here about their being some sort of software that will convert the files that Tom Tom uses files in to Navman .CSV files so they can be used on Navman. I did find one app that converted files but it didnt convert to .CSV

4. Pre-installed POIs as mentioned in original posts are out of date and as you state are definately not updated. Is there a link somewhere you could point me to that will show me how to uninstall the Pre-installed POIs[u/] as all they are doing is taking up valuable space. I dont want to know where the nearest Opera or nearest University is and all they are doing is taking up space. I understand that some may find them useful and that is probably why they are pre-installed.
With ref to M5, the section between Taunton and Exeter was still being displayed as A38. I know the A38 runs alongside the M5 but, the M5 for that section was just not being dispayed at all. I dont know why but, I did a Firmware update from Navman and that seems to have resolved the issue and slid a section of the M5 in, somehow, who knows?

5. Active Sync was at V3.7 and I have just updated to V4.2

Again philpugh many thanks.

So it looks like the majority of the questions have either been answered or I have resolved them with the exception of deleteing Pre-installed POI files and the MP3 files. Any help on these two again would be appreciated.

I have one other issue at the moment and that is incorrect HDD space. I have posted in the Navman Forum and am also taking it up with Navman.

Mick

Mi_Ck
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for underline

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: