Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Discrete/simple installation
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Discrete/simple installation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 9:20 pm    Post subject: Discrete/simple installation Reply with quote

I want to use my ipaq 2210 in my Volvo S60 for sat nav. I don't plan to use it all the time, just days out, holidays, away football matches etc. I want a simple setup which I can quickly put in my car. My plan is to use a modified Proporta case as a mount. I want to locate it on the cupholder cover. This is located high up on the centre console just below the air vents. My idea is to glue a strong magnet to the inside of the cupholder cover. The magnet will hopefully hold the ipaq in the Proporta case against the cupholder without anything being visible when the ipaq is not in use.

I don't want to go to the expense of a bt device and ideally would like to use a CF card gps unit. I've being looking at the Sysonchip cf card (Xtrac). I willing to scarifice a little inaccuracy and delay if I can use this device in the position outlined above without an additional aerial. Any opinions of how successfull this will be.
Confused
BBD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No replies, I guess I'll have to try it for myself. I'll report back how I get on.
ianbar
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an S60, so I will be interested to see how you get on. You might find this thread useful
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5681
Fletch
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wouldent a strong magnet close to the Ipaq either damage it cause interferance to the electronics???

Fletch
BBD
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A short report back on my progress to date. The Sysonchip cf gps unit is excellent. I have used this unit in the Vovo and in my wife's Focus and a Jaguar X-type. The Focus has a heated screen but it even tracked with the ipaq lying on the passenger seat. Amazingly it worked in the Jag with it propped up at the bottom of the centre console. I haven't had a problem with delayed response. I have only noticed a slight delay with weak signals due to poor location of the ipaq when I suspect less sensitive units wouldn't work at all ie lying on the passenger seat.

I soon realised that locating the ipaq against the cupholder was a non- starter. This position is far too low. I bought a couple of vent mounts from theclip.com along with a holster. The holster is intended to hold the ipaq with the screen facing inwards but because the ipaq is symmetrical I couldn't see any reason why it wouldn't fit screen outwards. The vent mounts and holster arrived after 2 weeks. I assume the delay was due to the address on the package not including the name of my road!

I tried to fit the ipaq into the holster (screen inwards) as originally intended. It was a very tight fit and like a fool I tried to force it in. I realised it was going to fit. It took some time to coax it back out and there are now small scratches on the sides of the ipaq!! I then opened up the curvature on sides of the holster by heating it up with a hairdryer. The ipaq now fits sort of okay but I so angry about the scratches I have asked theclip.com for a refund and compensation. I don't like the ventmounts either they did fit in the Focus but I couldn't securely locate one in the Volvo centre vent. So I'm back to square one trying to find a suitable means of mounting the ipaq. I'm thinking of a Brodit bracket with the new custom Seido multimedia holder. Does anybody have any comments or experience with this combination?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: