Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Heading on the Map
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Heading on the Map

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jakle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Heading on the Map Reply with quote

I've given up POI Capture until the TT GP910 issue settles down, and am using the map on the web site. What's the relevance of 'heading' - is it the direction of travel, or the direction the camera is pointing? And how do I enter a camera facing either way?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't bother - no Sat Nav uses the heading data yet AFAIK. It so some units can determine if the camera is at risk to your side of the road or the other but then some cameras have there direction changed randomly.....
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
Shouldn't bother - no Sat Nav uses the heading data yet AFAIK. It so some units can determine if the camera is at risk to your side of the road or the other but then some cameras have there direction changed randomly.....

[pantomime]OH YES IT DOES![/pantomime].
The Mio 510/710 units use direction data so that they only alarm in the direction of travel when cameras are fixed on one side of the road.
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=47767

Sal
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[pantomime]BEHIND YOU![/pantomime].

AFAIK = As far as i know....

I didn't know (again)

However i don't think the PGPSW database uses the heading data.......

(Stands by for incoming corrections)
Jakle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know TomTom uses this data as some cameras only cause alerts when travelling in a certain direction.

Care to answer the original question anyone - do we enter the heading as driving direction, or camera direction? With a Gatso these are obviously opposite and without understanding how the software works I can't even guess.
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose some people may like this feature but personally, I would prefer that the computer just reminded me when I was approaching a camera site and let me be the one who decides what direction it is facing and what action I should take. Wink

"They only have to be lucky once, we have to be lucky all the time". Confused
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakle wrote:
do we enter the heading as driving direction, or camera direction?

(Not withstanding my previous rant), my assumption was the direction to enter was "the direction that you would be driving in to have your speed measured by the camera".

That is:

Away from a Gatso,Red light camera or Monitron/Redspeed
Towards a Truvelo (front facing)
Towards (into) a SPECS monitored zone

Anyone want to confirm this?
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have thought it was pretty obvious. If a direction is specified, it is the direction the car is travelling when its speed s checked.

Sal
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how do you define the direction of travel on a duel carriage way with a camera situated on the Central reservation which can be changed to monitor traffic in one direction one day and then be changed to monitor traffic in the opposite direction the next day.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
mars.1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It dont take a brain storm to work out. Directional cameras would have to have a warning in both directions.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jakle wrote:
do we enter the heading as driving direction, or camera direction? With a Gatso these are obviously opposite

Erm... surely for a 'normal' Gatso, they ARE the same, it's the rarer Truvelos etc where they would be opposite.
Or are we arguing semantics or the precise definition of "heading" here? Stop it!

Quote:
="xda"So how do you define the direction of travel on a duel carriage way with a camera situated on the Central reservation which can be changed to monitor traffic in one direction one day and then be changed to monitor traffic in the opposite direction the next day.

Well, POI Capture has options for "This side" "Other side" or "Reversible".
In the present database, that situation is covered by having TWO entries, one on each side.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:

However i don't think the PGPSW database uses the heading data.......

(Stands by for incoming corrections)

ready?

we have a lot of heading data in the big full database, however seeing as no units used it it has never been included in the downloads.

as units start to be able to use such data, such as the Mio's that sallyann mentioned, we are looking into how we can use this data etc. we have a meeting this weekend and will be mentioning this, among other things

MaFt
Sallyann
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

we have a lot of heading data in the big full database, however seeing as no units used it it has never been included in the downloads.

as units start to be able to use such data, such as the Mio's that sallyann mentioned, we are looking into how we can use this data etc. we have a meeting this weekend and will be mentioning this, among other things

MaFt

MaFt,
You may find it helpful if I explain how the Mio units represent directional cameras, since they will be the first to use it and other makes are likely to do something similar.

1. For a camera that only monitors one direction, e.g. mounted on the nearside verge of a dual carriageway where it can only see one side of the road, the display shows an arrow in the direction of travel and the software gives an alarm only when approaching the camera in that direction.
2. For a camera that can monitor two directions, e.g. mounted in the central reservation of a dual carriageway where it can be turned either way, the display shows a double-ended arrow and the software gives an alarm when approaching the camera from either direction.
3. For a camera where direction information is not known, the display shows a four pointed crossed arrow, and the software gives an alarm when travelling within a threshold distance of the camera from any direction.

Note that there is a significant and useful difference between the alarms given in case 2 and 3. The directional info in case 2 means that false alarms due to cameras on adjacent roads are significantly reduced because the unit detects that it is not heading in one of the two prescribed directions.

It is not necessary to have two separate records for a reversible camera - it just needs a single record for a bi-directional camera.

For the Mio camera input program, I arranged the .ASC camera data file so that each camera record had two optional extra items. The first shows the camera direction in degrees from true north, and the second shows the number of directions that the camera faces, e.g.
(long),(lat),(speed),090,1 means a camera monitoring one direction only, for vehicles travelling east, and
(long),(lat),(speed),135,2 means a camera monitoring two directions, for vehicles travelling south-east and also in the opposite direction.
If the extra data is omitted for a particular camera then that camera will be shown as the default condition of omni-directional.

I hope this is helpful.

Sal
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P2002 wrote:
Jakle wrote:
do we enter the heading as driving direction, or camera direction? With a Gatso these are obviously opposite

Erm... surely for a 'normal' Gatso, they ARE the same, it's the rarer Truvelos etc where they would be opposite.
Or are we arguing semantics or the precise definition of "heading" here? Stop it!

Quote:
="xda"So how do you define the direction of travel on a duel carriage way with a camera situated on the Central reservation which can be changed to monitor traffic in one direction one day and then be changed to monitor traffic in the opposite direction the next day.

Well, POI Capture has options for "This side" "Other side" or "Reversible".
In the present database, that situation is covered by having TWO entries, one on each side.

I know that, but the Mio doen't require a camera to be on each carriage way. See Sallyann's post.
So does the database need changing for cameras on the cental reservation to having just the one camera in the centre rather than the two we have now.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xda wrote:

So does the database need changing for cameras on the cental reservation to having just the one camera in the centre rather than the two we have now.

yes and no... yes for the mio's and no for the others that 'need' the camera to be on the actual road...

don't worry, we're looking into how to pull this off succesfully!

thanks sallyann for the info

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: