Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Anyone running Nav 6 on Treo 650?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone running Nav 6 on Treo 650?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Anyone running Nav 6 on Treo 650? Reply with quote

Hi all,

just wondered if anyone here is running Nav 6 (official release) on a Palm-based Treo 650? Specifically want to check that this device doesn't struggle with the increased processor overheads (ie. running slowly etc).

Also, if installed, does the code have a much larger Storage Heap (Flash), NVFS DB Cache (RAM) or Dynamic Heap (RAM) footprint? I'm struggling to accommodate everything at the moment, so dread purchasing Nav 6 and then having to delete an essential app. just to free up some internal memory!

Many thanks in anticipation.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take that as a no then! Laughing Out Loud
MikeM132
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm running TTN 6 on a Treo 650. I don't have any significant problems. First, I'll say this is the first version I've owned, so I cannot compare to TTN 5. The processor is the same in a 700P as a 650P (check the Palm website), so that is not an issue. I think the only issue is the substantial memory difference.
What I do get sometimes is the error trying to start TTN 6 that I don't have enough free memory. I have to do a soft reset then all is fine. Other than that, I've had no trouble with it. It will take a call while navigating, too. Sometimes, with automatic POP/SMTP mail retreival, TTN seems to quit, get the mail, then it has to re-start the program again, but this does not take long. I have not really seriously played with it to see if I can get it working better.
I upgraded my phone recently to the new Palm firmware (1.05 updater for Verizon, which gives you a slightly updated Palm Garnet version and a slightly newer Blazer version). This has really helped Blazer, but I have not really noticed a difference with TTN 6 yet. In all fairness, I am only an occasional TT user for business stuff.
I am pretty happy with the speed and stability of TTN 6 on the phone. BLuetooth seems rock-solid, too. I have all the US/Canada maps on my bigger SD card so I can still use ZLauncher and free up some system RAM. This works fine. I leave the TTN 6 program in RAM but the data on the card (obviously--it is 977MB!). Good luck.
bedbug
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the feedback Mike,

I think most of my problems relate to AvantGo disregarding my instruction to use my SD card, instead filling my precious RAM with offline web pages! Ho Hum! Angry

Good news though, I think I can help with the issue of not having enough memory available. Rather than soft-resetting, I use a tiny app called Memory Info which you can download here. Although I've just seen that there's a caution about causing resets, that's NEVER happened to me, I swear by the app. - I'd go mad if I had to reset everytime Nav 5 fails to run!

Hope this is of help to you. Thanks again.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: