Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Dell Axim x51 + TT6 + Globalsat CF337 - problems...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Dell Axim x51 + TT6 + Globalsat CF337 - problems...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caspian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Dell Axim x51 + TT6 + Globalsat CF337 - problems... Reply with quote

Hi there,

Was hoping someone might be able to troubleshoot an issue I'm having with my Axim x51...?

I have TomTom 6 running on an Axim x51, with a CF GlobalSat 337 GPS card.

I get a great GPS signal in my car from the CF card, and TomTom is communicating with the GPS without a problem.

I have the Axim processor speed set to maximum. The map data is on a 1GB SD card. In demo mode TomTom 6 runs smoothly and without any issues.

However... when I'm driving the map doesn't update in realtime. It usually manages about 15 secs, and then "hangs" before occasionally updating every 5 mins or so. Voice prompts don't stutter, but again they only get spoken at rare intervals.

Could anyone suggest some possible solutions for this issue? The thoughts I had were:

- poor GPS signal (although it's showing max signal strength)
- processor too slow (although others have indicated it should work fine on an Axim x51)
- GPS to TomTom communication slow (works OK in GPS configure mode - it can see the satellites and updates my long/lat position... it's just the map view that is a problem)
- slow SD card (not sure this should cause this particular issue, although might be slow updating maps from the card?)

My thought was that the GPS datastream from the CF card to the map view is too slow to keep up... is it worth an upgrade to the latest ROM version to fix this?

NB. I am aware there's a general issue with CF cards and Axims... just to clarify, I have no problem with the actual GPS signal in TomTom but rather the map view "freezing" as I drive along.

Any thoughts would be gratefully received!

Many thanks,

Caspian
Kenilworth, UK
caspian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news - I upgraded my Axim to the latest ROM (A12?), which claimed to address an issue around CF i/0 ports closing.

No idea if that's what the issue was, but it's working fine now. Smile

So to summarise:

Dell Axim x51 with TomTom Navigator 6 and Globalsat CF377 GPS is working without any problems.

Hopefully if anyone else has a similar problem they can find this post in Google's cache and it might suggest some solutions.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: