Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Differences in TomTom Versions ? eg 5.45 to 6.15 - Sticky ?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Differences in TomTom Versions ? eg 5.45 to 6.15 - Sticky ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jblackmore
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Differences in TomTom Versions ? eg 5.45 to 6.15 - Sticky ? Reply with quote

Sorry if this is somewhere as a FAQ, I searched but can't find it.

Please can someone post a list of major version and the differences, so people can decide whether to upgrade or now.

I have upgraded from 5.45 to 6.15 (eventually), and only changes I can see are annoying changes, like selecting POI warning bounces you back to map, so you have to go back through preferences/ manage poi / poi warnings to set the next category, whereas before you could just select the next poi type and go straight in.
Compass direction and distance seems to have lost distance (which I liked)
Find poi requires you to enter range (3M, 15M etc etc?) before you can see list.

Only useful change I have found so far is you can search all types of POI's which is good for petrol stations etc if you have them listed seperately.

A sticky list of major versions with differences would be really useful.
TuurG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Differences in TomTom Versions ? eg 5.45 to 6.15 - Stick Reply with quote

jblackmore wrote:
like selecting POI warning bounces you back to map, so you have to go back through preferences/ manage poi / poi warnings to set the next category, whereas before you could just select the next poi type and go straight in.

Still works as before for me. It jumps to Manage POIs menu, same as in v5.

Quote:

still there as in v5: 4 options:
    none,
    arrow north, in compass direction/degrees
    arrow heading, in compass direction/degrees
    arrow destination, , in compass distance

Quote:

Find poi requires you to enter range (3M, 15M etc etc?) before you can see list.

not on mine.
Antoeknee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To see POI list

navigate to...

point of interest...

POI near you.....

tap the arrow

You will now see the list
jblackmore
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Differences in TomTom Versions ? eg 5.45 to 6.15 - Stick Reply with quote

TuurG wrote:
jblackmore wrote:
like selecting POI warning bounces you back to map, so you have to go back through preferences/ manage poi / poi warnings to set the next category

Is this different on a TomTom ONE ??

If I select a poi warnings on my TomTom ONE, then pick a POI category, and change warning distance for say GATSO camera's, when done I get bounced out to map view, and have to go back in through preferences/manage poi/poi warnings to set the next warning distance (say for mobile cameras) ?

Quote:

still there as in v5: 4 options:
    none,

4th option for Arrow destination on mine doesn't state distance ? And arrow is much larger without distance inside ?

TuurG wrote:
Quote:

not on mine.

I did this from browse map, search, POI and have to enter range ? Maybe if you start from 'navigate to' it doesn't ask range - will check this.

I will check this again, as sounds like I am going mad - unless the different TT devices all behave differently, and so ONE is different to other units.

I do wonder why TomTom can't provide a 'changes' pdf file to explain the differences, but given there general lack of customer service it seems to be par for the course. I wonder how many support calls they could avoid if they included a manual update with the update !

Maybe if the upgrade is different on every platform, this is why they can't provide a document ?
Dr_Pepper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Differences in TomTom Versions ? eg 5.45 to 6.15 - Stick Reply with quote

jblackmore wrote:
TuurG wrote:
jblackmore wrote:
like selecting POI warning bounces you back to map, so you have to go back through preferences/ manage poi / poi warnings to set the next category

Is this different on a TomTom ONE ??

If I select a poi warnings on my TomTom ONE, then pick a POI category, and change warning distance for say GATSO camera's, when done I get bounced out to map view, and have to go back in through preferences/manage poi/poi warnings to set the next warning distance (say for mobile cameras) ?

not on my ONE, it goes back to POI manage menu

jblackmore wrote:

I did this from browse map, search, POI and have to enter range ? Maybe if you start from 'navigate to' it doesn't ask range - will check this.

only if you choose all poi categories
jblackmore
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Differences in TomTom Versions ? eg 5.45 to 6.15 - Stick Reply with quote

jblackmore wrote:
I will check this again, as sounds like I am going mad - unless the different TT devices all behave differently, and so ONE is different to other units.

Tried this again, and think when I was swapping between versions I must have missed a file, as poi warnings now goes back to POI manage screen (before it definately bounced to map).
Distance arrow works too, not sure if this wasn't working before, may have been as I had no GPS lock.
find POIs range is only for all types, as pointed out.

Maybe this confirms the original idea that we should have a list of versions and differences as a sticky on here !!!
TuurG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Differences in TomTom Versions ? eg 5.45 to 6.15 - Stick Reply with quote

jblackmore wrote:

Distance arrow works too, not sure if this wasn't working before, may have been as I had no GPS lock.

Makes sense,a s it can't caculate distance when it doesn't know where you are Confused
Quote:

Maybe this confirms the original idea that we should have a list of versions and differences as a sticky on here !!!

Although you now discover that all still works as before or as expected Question Laughing
Apart from the option to search through all POI categories, there is not much new to explain for the ONE.
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TuurG wrote:
none,

On my One with 6.15, the compass preferences are....

"None"
"One with arrow pointing north"
"One with arrow showing your heading"
"One with arrow pointing to your destination"

It does not mention distance anywhere, or am I missing something ?

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
TuurG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's not an option to set. If you choose to "One with arrow pointing to your destination" then the distance will be shown in the compass, when you have planned a route AND a gps fix.
999tommo
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, Got you now. I thought my options were different from yours. Will try to get a fix (indoors) and try it out. Thanks TuurG

Regularly absent, but still here in spirit !
jblackmore
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Differences in TomTom Versions ? eg 5.45 to 6.15 - Stick Reply with quote

TuurG wrote:
jblackmore wrote:

Although you now discover that all still works as before or as expected Question Laughing
Apart from the option to search through all POI categories, there is not much new to explain for the ONE.

Quite a few new things.

- navigate to/postcode has moved to navigate to/address/postcode
- compass prefs "One with arrow pointing to your destination" includes distance
- find POI now has several options 'near me', 'near city', 'near home' etc
- find POI now has extra option 'any category' which then prompts for range (<3M, <15M etc) and lists POI's in distance (direct line)

I am sure there are lots of other differences too, which is why a sticky thread seems like it would be useful.

Of course, that depends on what this forum is for, I hoped it was to share info, and a good FAQ would avoid lots of unecessary repeated questions - which we seem to have a lot of on here, as people genuinely can't find basic info easily !
TuurG
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow to destination has always contained the distance.

But this is what you are looking for?
http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?Language=1&FID=5327

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: