Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPSlim236 TomTom 5 reports 'No Valid GPS Signal' - Solution!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPSlim236 TomTom 5 reports 'No Valid GPS Signal' - Solution!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
astyy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: GPSlim236 TomTom 5 reports 'No Valid GPS Signal' - Solution! Reply with quote

Hi I've been trying for a couple of days to setup a Holux GPSlim236 with TomTom 5 on an XDA Mini S (Wizard), then an XDA S (Blue Angel) and then an XDA2i (Alpine). All with the same result, it appeared to be connecting in TomTom 5 with 'Other Bluetooth GPS' 'Bluetooth port COM6' ie ball spinning but no UTC, no fix and it always reporting 'No Valid GPS Signal' - I got this on each XDA model I tested in turn and couldnt even get the Holux sample GPS prog to work. I was convinced that the Bluetooth bonding/pairing was correct and this indicated by the Bluetooth light flashing approx every 3s.

Anyway it turns out that the GPS was in SIRF mode eventhough it's blinking signal light was reporting otherwise (it was bought from Hong Kong which may have a bearing), I think it is supposed to flash 3 times per second in SIRF. Mike Adler has been very helpful by email and suggested I use the TomTom 3 - GPS V307 program to set the GPS mode from 'Bluetooth SIRF' to 'Bluetooth NMEA 0183V2', within this program you can then see it connect using the new setting. Easy when you know how!

I've posted this here for other peoples future reference as it has caused me many hours of frustration.
mrharrod
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:12 pm    Post subject: tomtom5 Reply with quote

So, your saying that if I buy a GR-236, I cant use TOMTOM 5 with it!?
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no you will be able to use a gr 236 with tomtom 5 it works fine

are you sure youve set the correct comport in the gps setting and with the mini s have you set the correct outgoing port in bluetooth settings

als make sure the gps viewer is not running when you start tomtom

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
mrharrod
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff! becuase I bought one 2hrs before I read this post and started to wet myself with fear....hmm...right...ok...thanks.

8)
meestermartinho
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would uninstall the gps viewer supplied on CD as it plays havoc with tomtom.

alix776 wrote:
no you will be able to use a gr 236 with tomtom 5 it works fine

are you sure youve set the correct comport in the gps setting and with the mini s have you set the correct outgoing port in bluetooth settings

als make sure the gps viewer is not running when you start tomtom
astyy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to cause alarm - I think that my problem was quite obscure specific to the way that my GPS was operating as shipped - I posted the initial note in the spirit of recording the 'fix' for future reference for others.

Anyway the little beauty is now running fine with all my XDA's with TomTom 3 and 5. I have a cigar charger in the boot of my car so using the Holux supplied cable I just leave it their and I can even use it from my inside my house in the room close to where the car is parked.

What is a bit strange is that now I've bought a second GLSlim 236 and the XDA's that I've used with the first one get very confused when I try to Bluetooth pair them with the new one. Even if I delete the initial pair, when it discovers the device it says 'The device does not offer any usable services.' and it doesnt offer me the SPP service.

So far I have found that if I completely hard - reset the PDA (e.g the XDA2i) and bond from scratch with the new one it's fine.

I don't understand this, it appears than when you delete a Bluetooth pairing and then create a new pair with exactly the same type of device it gets confused. Nothing surprises me with Bluetooth and XDA's.

Regards
Aston
astyy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS Holux GPS View app, I agree with previous poster - dont install this at all.

Create your bluetooth pairing, you will know that this is working because the GPS bluetooth light 'slows' to 1 flash every 3s.

Then check your PDA is talking to the GPS properly using the TomTom GPS interface to check the connection and reception.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aston, the names will be the same (for each GPS unit i.e. GPSlim236) re-name one of them, and I would also sugest you use tipex or similar to be able to distinguish between the two devices, once this is done you will be able to connect to either GPS unit from the PDA - The only problem with this is that the TomTom on the Mini-S requires the GPS on a specific port (Com 7) so while you can connect to both or either devices I am not too sure if TomTom will be capable of seeing the alternate 236 - I don't have a Mini-S to hand to give this a try - sorry - Mike
Boxxer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I am just got my Holux 236. I am using it with tomtom 5 on my palm and I have the same problem.

It said "no valid signal".

It has definitely paired with my plam/tomtom, otherwise it will say "no GPS device".

What did you do make it work?? The GPS light on the Holus 236 is blinking, so I guess it has found its position, and the blutooth light is blinking once in a three second.

This is very frustrating..... 8O
ItsMikeE
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't remember if it is the same error message, but I have had to soft reset the Palm a couple of times before it would recognise the GPS connection.
coolwave
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi
I had the same problam when I first got thr Holux gr 236slim and tom tom navigator 5
I found it some how dosnt want to connect as a bluetooth receiver instead it has no problem connecting as ( other cable NMEA gps ) set the bit rate to 38400 and you will be fine
hope that helps
OllieL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi just been reading this thread and i just wanted to clarify something before i too buy 236.
My Dads original tomtom bluetooth reciever was stolen from his car so thought that this would be a good and cheaper alternative replacement to work with tomtom mobile 5 running on a nokia 6680.
Will this system work together or will I be left experiencing the same problem as other users using tomtom?
Also worreid about the "batch probelm" people have been experiencing with the bluetooth on this unit.
Any other suggestions for a reliable unit?
Thanks
Ollie
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it seams that if you go through an otside uk seller then you may have support problems. if you go through a uk agent or from holux themselves then you shouldnt have any problems it should work fine with the nokia

device Lumia 950 xl
OllieL
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok
I was originally thinking on buying from ebay as it seemed far cheaper, will this just cause me problems then?
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it may not cause you problems some members have had problems with grey imports of holux products others havent. some that have had problems have had the seller sdaying tuff im not interested in which case they have had to get in touch with in tiawan and have had to send them back to tiawan. it a risk you take when buying from an ebay selller.

device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: