Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Own Axim, want GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Own Axim, want GPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nibbles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 8:16 pm    Post subject: Own Axim, want GPS Reply with quote

I have Dell Axim X5 upgraded to Windows Mobile 2003.

I want to buy a GPS receiver and software.

The best reviews point to the SysOnChip CF Plus receiver, but it has nebulous issues with the Axim and as Dell offers no support and SysOnChip are based in Korea this looks like a no-starter.

So

Is it to be the Haicom 303S or Holux 270u (both with Xtrac)?

Which software? Memory-mapping's Ordance Survey products look very nice - but are there others? I'm not to bothered about route-finding software at the moment...

Thanks for reading!
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's many options. Xtrac is probably the best if your primary wish is to navigate yourself around on foot.

If you buy a Haicom HI-303 series GPS, make sure you get one with a second bar code - apparently it's somewhat transparent and stuck to the bottom of the antenna bit. It looks as if they're the only ones that work with the HI-401 Bluetooth slipper, and older production, which just has a bar code on the white label on the bottom of the CompactFlash part, does not. Whilst you might not want the slipper at the moment, it seems worthwhile giving yourself the option in the future. There may be no way to upgrade an older HI-303 series GPS to work in the slipper - though maybe you can buy one second hand at a cheaper price if you're not interested in future Bluetooth options.

Another thought, though, if you're interested in "pedestrian navigation" is to use a standalone GPS linked with a cable, or even a Bluetooth setup (if you can find a CompactFlash Bluetooth card with decent Pocket PC 2003 drivers; I'm afraid I don't follow this part of the market as my iPAQ has integrated Bluetooth). I'm not the expert on these setups; Mike is much more expert than I. The problem with CompactFlash GPS based setups is that they can be very hard to ruggedise - you can put them in an Aquapac to waterproof them, but that's not going to provide sufficient protection if you drop the setup part way up a hill or when geocaching. Usually CompactFlash setups won't fit in the full on ruggedisation products like Otter Armor.

It might help if you can define a little better precisely what you want your GPS setup to do. It sounds as if you're not much interested in in-car navigation, which is fair enough (though it has to be said that if you buy wisely, you can usually add this simply by buying software in the future - the problems come more with turning in-car systems into pedestrian mobile systems).

David
nibbles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:08 pm    Post subject: Requirements Reply with quote

I'd like to use the GPS whilst walking (Lakes, Peaks etc) and also for geocaching (which will probably be the more common occurance).

It seems the CF based receiver market is quite immatutre, but I'm not really sure of the pro, cons and costs of the cable to standalone GPS receiver route.

As I understand it, we're talking about a simple GPS receiver like a garmin which can be used on its own, and also linked via cable to a PDA and used with memory mapping, tomtom etc.

These are both applications that appeal, and the ruggedness of the solution, its flexibility and its fitness for the uses i have described above are important factors.
nibbles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: also... Reply with quote

I forgot to say that although I have looked at quite a few websites in the UK, I can't seem to find one that stocks all of the products being recommended or that I would like to compare. Which are the best?
nibbles
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:01 pm    Post subject: Xtrac and NAAS (EGNOS?!) Reply with quote

Are you looking at £250+ for a handheld standalone device which supports Xtrac and NAAS (or equiv.)?

Does this mean that although inflexible, the CF receivers are a lot for the money?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Requirements Reply with quote

nibbles wrote:
I'd like to use the GPS whilst walking (Lakes, Peaks etc) and also for geocaching (which will probably be the more common occurance).

It seems the CF based receiver market is quite immatutre, but I'm not really sure of the pro, cons and costs of the cable to standalone GPS receiver route.

As I understand it, we're talking about a simple GPS receiver like a garmin which can be used on its own, and also linked via cable to a PDA and used with memory mapping, tomtom etc.

These are both applications that appeal, and the ruggedness of the solution, its flexibility and its fitness for the uses i have described above are important factors.

First what I would say is if you are going to be in difficult locations, walking with high rise buildings either side creating a canyon environment, then XTrac will work better in this environment, but don't expect to be positioned exactly on the map. If you want pin-point accuracy a standard GPS with support for WAAS/SBAS would be preferential, and certainly better for walking in the lakes. Holux GM-270 or Haicom 303MMF may be a better solution here.

SysOnChip CF Plus is a great receiver, but it is XTrac, and may not be suitable for your situation and there have been known problems with some Axim's, although SysOnChip say in all of their tests they cannot see a problem, I would exclude the XTrac unless you can test one first.

Using a Garmin tethered to the Pocket PC is a good option, and if you are more happier with this solution, check out the following article on how to do it and where to buy the cables from...

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/pcmobilecables.php

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: