Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - OMG not again, 2nd 710 not getting a signal.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

OMG not again, 2nd 710 not getting a signal.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barry72
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: OMG not again, 2nd 710 not getting a signal. Reply with quote

Dead 710 was picked up today and a new one delivered. Great I opened the box and turned it on and unlike the first one I raced through the starting menu's without a problemso set about installing camera database and everything else. Due to over indulgence at an office party I was incapable of doing a proper test in the car today but once I was finnish backing up the unit and installing everything I went outside and.........................nothing. Either all Sat's have fallen out the sky or the 20 minutes my 710 sat outside was not enough time to catch a signal, so tomorrow I will try it in the car and if nothing it looks like another replacement Evil or Very Mad I really need satnav in 2 weeks time and didn't think it would be a problem but it is now 2 weeks since my PDA with via michelin died and 2 tomtom's later I still without. Starting to lose faith:(

Barry.
Barry72
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very confused now, all the time outside and no signal, now while trying to get traffic to work it has picked up a signal. Now I'm a logical person and like to understand things but why no signal while outside pointing at the sky for ages and then within a couple of minutes, maybe less, it picks up a signal.................................IN THE BLOODY HOUSE!!!????
Confused and going to bed, god knows what it will do in the morning.
Pedro2NR
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought my 910, It took my unit 3 hours to get a signal. I would check the satellites and a few of them would get signals and go away.
After those 3 long hours, I get signals within seconds when my unit turns on.
TonyHoyle
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has to download the almanac, which is sent periodically. Once it's got that it knows where to look to find out where it is (I believe QuickGPSFix is a static version of this database).

As to why it takes 3 hours to get its first lock... it's probably doing a GPS factory start - which should take about 15 of minutes, so there's something wrong somewhere...

(ref: http://www.navigadget.com/index.php/gps-knowledge/ttff-time-to-first-fix/)
toshiba_copier_engineer
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: no signal on go 510 also. Reply with quote

same thing happened to me, i received a new GO 510 from my insurance company on friday, tested it yesterday on a trip from leicester to stoke on trent ( don't need sat nav for stoke as i originate from there :P )
after some 47 miles i pulled on to a service station @ uttoxeter & the signal finally kicked in.

so for me it took around 45 minutes for a gps signal, now it kicks in within seconds each time.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A long time to first fix is not something that is unusual with a new device, in the case of Barrys machine 3 hours is way out, although if its working now keep an eye on this for the next week or two, if it does it again send it back.
In toshiba_..... 's case Welcome to the forum, you further compounded the units problems by driving with the unit while it had no position fix, this is most important and easily explains why it didn't lock on until you stopped.
Never drive off without a position fix, you should find once the unit has achieved position fix and is used on a regular basis it will take less than 30 seconds to work out where it is - Mike
Barry72
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's working perfectly now:)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: