Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Disable or skip the TT5 legal notice / splash screen?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Disable or skip the TT5 legal notice / splash screen?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thehamlet
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synmag wrote:
jgombos wrote:
Mikeact wrote:
I've been running an HP 4150 for the last 3/4 years and only recall seeing this disclaimer when first installed and again after a couple of hard resets. I can't even remember what it looks like now...and yes, mine is a legitimate copy.

... I want the UK version instead.

Mee too. Looks like I'll have to track down a UK pirate copy. Since I paid for the NA version there is nothing wrong with that right? It's like the reverse of first downloading a game to try and then buying it if I liked it. Although a hack to remove the warning would be much simpler.

You know it's not so much the fact I don't like the warrning. It's the interaction I hate. Why can't they just show a splash screen for a few seconds and then start the program without requiring a click, touch whatever.

I wonder if this would work? The download page on tomtom.com has no country specific software, I would think the license prompt is determined by the maps you use. UK=once after install US=every time the program starts (can you blame them in a country where you need 3rd party liability insurance for a barbeque {joke})
Jacklad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgombos wrote:
This still seems to be a problem. Is there a solution yet?

Has anyone tried using the European software version with US maps as a fix?

I have an install with Great_Britain map (only) and I also have this legal notice on start up ... and it makes no difference whether the programme is shut down before switching off PDA or not.
jgombos
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacklad wrote:

I have an install with Great_Britain map (only) and I also have this legal notice on start up ... and it makes no difference whether the programme is shut down before switching off PDA or not.

I imagine you are using the North American binary file. I don't think it matters where the maps come from - it's the software that matters. I believe we need is the European software, with the maps for wherever we are.
Jacklad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so is there a fix/patch for this ?
jgombos
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Need proof on the European version Reply with quote

Right now, I'm working on a sociopolitical type of fix. I have not been able to get TomTom to come clean. Someone finally returned my call, and stated that my software is working correctly. He said the legal notice should appear every single time. When I asked him why so many other users only saw the legal notice once, he denied the observation, stating that they are not using TomTom Navigator 5 software.

My response: Are you claiming all those other TTN5 users are lying?"

TT support: No, but if you want to proceed any further, we would need to see proof of this.

Me: What kind of proof?

TT support: Those other users should get an RMA for warranty repair, and send in their unit.

European users - would someone be willing to gather evidence that the legal notice is disabled after the first acknowledgement? I know it's a lot to ask, but I would make good use of it. I believe it would be adquite to simply videotape the acknowledgement after installing a new map, then exit and go back to the map, then perhaps go to the version information screen. I would make a video of my version, and submit them together.
Jacklad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Need proof on the European version Reply with quote

AFAIK my versiuon is European, biought with European maps, no reason to suspect it's not European ...
is there something that identifies if it's European or not ?

The warning comes up every time for me.
ver 5.210
build 5430
hgm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Europrean version and the notice only came up first time on UK map. I bought a US city map before going to Florida and over there it came up every time. So I suspect US maps.
TomTom are clearly incorrect though to say my version is faulty as it doesn't appear with UK maps on my PDA. Some previous posters have blamed slow SD cards though.

Henry Moring
jgombos
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacklad wrote:
AFAIK my versiuon is European, biought with European maps, no reason to suspect it's not European ...

ver 5.210
build 5430

That's interesting Jacklad.. it seems the pattern that we've noticed of working European versions is no longer a pattern. The version information you provided suggests that you are not using a Palm, but rather a PocketPC. The current Palm version is 5.201 (5344).
hgm wrote:
I have the Europrean version and the notice only came up first time on UK map. I bought a US city map before going to Florida and over there it came up every time. So I suspect US maps.

Have you tried copying your .cfg file from your European map to a US map to see if that corrects the legal notice?
Quantum
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems clear that the key is in the map directory. Something there is triggering the pesky warning.

I've looked at the (binary) .cfg file, and it contains mainly Favorites. Other files modified in the course of use are traffic.inc and the .mac file.

Seems reasonable that the Warning bit would not be in a user-changable file, but in some other file in the map directory besides the map itself.

Anyone know what the various files do?

By the way, since most of you guys are English, maybe you can help me understand an ancient writing from the Old Masonic Charges. As a Yank, I can't make any sense out of it. Excerpted from the Regius Poem (c. 1390):
Quote:
Sixth article.
The sixth article you must not miss
That the master do the lord no prejudice,
To take the lord for his 'prentice,
As much as his fellows do, in all wise.
For in that craft they be full perfect,
So is not he, you must see it.
Also it were against good reason,
To take his hire as his fellows don. (do)
This same article in this case,
Judgeth his prentice to take less
Than his fellows, that be full perfect.
In divers matters, know requite it,
The master may his 'prentice so inform,
That his hire may increase full soon,
And ere his term come to an end,
His hire may full well amend.

Eleventh article.
The eleventh article I tell thee,
That he is both fair and free;
For he teacheth, by his might,
That no mason should work by night,
But if be in practising of wit,
If that I could amend it.
Jacklad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgombos wrote:
Jacklad wrote:

ver 5.210
build 5430

That's interesting Jacklad.. it seems the pattern that we've noticed of working European versions is no longer a pattern.

yes I am using this on an iPAQ
jgombos
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quantum wrote:
It seems clear that the key is in the map directory. Something there is triggering the pesky warning.

Yup, I've just confirmed this. Entering the software with a plus map of the UK skips the legal notice. Using the same software engine (that is, the same Munich.bin file), US maps impose the legal notice every single time. So it has nothing to do with the software - in fact, there probably is only two versions of it (one for Palm, and one for PocketPC).
Quantum wrote:

I've looked at the (binary) .cfg file, and it contains mainly Favorites. Other files modified in the course of use are traffic.inc and the .mac file.

I don't think the cfg file has anything to do with it, because I observed an entry w/out legal notice, and there is no cfg file, even after the fact.
Quantum wrote:

Seems reasonable that the Warning bit would not be in a user-changable file, but in some other file in the map directory besides the map itself.

Do we know for certain that the flag even exists in the map directory? I know that it's map specific, but it could still potentially be anywhere, even in the Munich.bin file.
Mikeact
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are on the right track. I'm just in the States on a flying visit from the UK. Before I left, I got hold of the NA maps and everytime I power up over here, the security message comes up...change back to the UK map..no problem.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: