Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Dissapointed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Dissapointed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MartinWilliams
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Dissapointed Reply with quote

I've just purchased my 3i today and have to admit I'm extremely dissapointed.

I've set up the custom POI's and Speed Camera warnings from here and they all seem to work great. The map is also as good as I imagined, however, the voice is absolutly shocking. Put simply it doesn't work.

Here are a summary of the problems - I hope someone can help, as even though it's only £140 - I expect it to work!

- Voice prompts are too late. i.e - turn right as you are actually passing the right turn

- Turn left and the road follows left and it's not a left turn at all. How am I supposed to know if I need to turn left down XYZ street or follow the road that bares left?

- No voice at all. At times it just gives up!

- Not saying or displaying which exit on a round about. "Approach roundabout".

- Keep left when it's a single carriageway road with no option to be on the right.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not expecting the latest state of the art Sat Nav for £150, but I was expecting better.

Can anyone advise? Is there anything I can do about any of these problems?

Thanks Laughing

Martin
Wildie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

update the firmware to 2.70, and set the system up for waas/egnos and not normal gps see how you go, also some car windscreens play havoc withthe reception you may need to invest in a ariel from maplins £9.99
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Martin. Don't be disappointed as you have got yourself a great piece of kit. You'll only need to go through this post here (probably seventh or eighth post down the line) :
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=33666

to find the answer to this common issue. Also make sure you have the latest (released today) firmware installed from Garmin's website. Hope ths helps.
MartinWilliams
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for you replies.

I'm running 2.90. I check out the FAQ's but it's not really like there are words missing - the voice is just inaccurate and keeps sending me down wrong roads.

"Turn Right" - so I turn right and then it has to recalulate. It's a right mission to get to my mums a couple of streets away. Sad

I'm reading the forums to try and catch up and I realise the round about warnings are an ongoing issue, but telling me to turn right two seconds before the turn when I'm doing 40 is gonna get me killed, Laughing Out Loud
Almahadeus
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes there sre issues with v2.9 but now v3.0 is out and you can try it and see whether things will improve. If not then you'll need to go back to v2.7 and you can find it in websites posted on these forums. Let me know if you can't find them and I'll try and get them for you.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, try resinstalling the voices anyway (change to american english then back to uk english - be patient, they take a while!)

it shouldn't just say 'approach roundabout' - it should say 'enter roundabout and take 3rd exit'

try it, y amight like it!

MaFt
Vendy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to say I am also dissapointed with the 'turn left on to xyz street' when in fact is a stay on abc road change to xyz road. Looking for a left turn when infact all it was a bend in the road coupled with a name change?
sunstrip_steve
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Have to say I am also dissapointed with the 'turn left on to xyz street' when in fact is a stay on abc road change to xyz road. Looking for a left turn when infact all it was a bend in the road coupled with a name change?

Its not a issue with the unit, the information you get out is only as good as the information put in, the same with anything.

Having compaired the i3 to a £2,000 Honda built in system i would say that the directions are much better on the i3. And the dynamic zoom is much better than also.
Rodonn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like they may be shipping V2.90 which, universally, is a bag of shite.

Install either 2.70 or 2.82.
GPS Mode - WAAS/EGNOS

Snooper OEM repeater ant. routed to rear parcel.
Snooper Neo S3R user.

Tried - 2.9 (not a good time)
pgosling
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having had the i3 for about 5 days now I must say that overall I am extremely pleased with it!

It is what I expected from a GPS unit........

Have had a few issues with battery life - which seems to be ok now - touch wood!!

Have learnt to keep an eye on the map rather than "trust" the voice commands completely!

After all it is only a map!! No-one who designed the mapping software has actually driven down most of the roads on it so to them it may look like a junction when it is in fact not!!!!

A great piece of kit and for the £129.99 I paid for it - well worth the money!!!

Nice one Garmin!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Dissapointed Reply with quote

What sort of car have you got? Depending on the windscreen you may need an external antenna to get proper reception which could cause the problem with voice prompts at the wrong time.

MartinWilliams wrote:
- Turn left and the road follows left and it's not a left turn at all. How am I supposed to know if I need to turn left down XYZ street or follow the road that bares left?

Look at the map on the screen? Wink
Rodonn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pgosling wrote:
Having had the i3 for about 5 days now I must say that overall I am extremely pleased with it!

It is what I expected from a GPS unit........

Have had a few issues with battery life - which seems to be ok now - touch wood!!

Have learnt to keep an eye on the map rather than "trust" the voice commands completely!

After all it is only a map!! No-one who designed the mapping software has actually driven down most of the roads on it so to them it may look like a junction when it is in fact not!!!!

A great piece of kit and for the £129.99 I paid for it - well worth the money!!!

Nice one Garmin!

If you're using Rechargeable, you have to make sure that the settings know that. Otherwise Hi-drain Alkalines should be ok.
GPS Mode - WAAS/EGNOS

Snooper OEM repeater ant. routed to rear parcel.
Snooper Neo S3R user.

Tried - 2.9 (not a good time)
Marty-Party
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An alternative, which I use when in confined urban areas, is to display 'review turns' and press the centre wheel.

This shows the map ahead to the next turn so you can see complex roundabouts/junctions before you get there. It also displays the text of what you should do and the number of seconds at the present speed before you get there.

Personal choice of course but it's worth a try.
MrBitsy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vendy wrote:

Look at the screen - the combination of map and voice is very clear where you should be going. I don't find this an issue at all.

Ray Keattch

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: