Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Holux support.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Holux support.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheBoyGroucho
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Holux support. Reply with quote

Emailed them at 11:51 with a problem with a connecting cable. Got a reply at 12:00 saying that a spare cable would be posted asap...which duly arrived.

In a marketplace where most of the competing products offer a very similar "real world" performance, its this sort of support that makes the difference.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Holux support. Reply with quote

From what I hear, Holux are a great company that cares.
stefans
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What address did you use?

I tried 2 times info@holux.com.tw about problems with my GM 270 Ultra and never got a reply :-(

Stefan
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's their Taiwan website, they have a UK operation too and their website and contact information is http://www.holux-uk.com/About/contact.htm
Laz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:41 am    Post subject: Holux support Redux Reply with quote

I find their website to be just about as bare as any I have seen. The support part has a few downloads but thats it..

I am dead in the water with a new Holux GM-270 and tried their
tech@holux-uk.com and get a dead url mailer daemon bounce.

I am now at a lose as to what to do. It worked for one week and then stone dead. Its a CF with a PCMCIA slot adapter so I tried it both in my HP IPAQ 2215 and my laptop.

It did work in both but now either. I have a GM-210 and that works fine so I know its not the host software.

It apparently gets a fix for the led goes to flash mode from solid on after a few minutes outside yet I never get a nmea output message of any kind.

I have tried several different applications such as GPSVIEWER, LeadTek Monitor and GPSDASH plus some others. No joy.

For what its worth I think support on these low cost commoditiy type items is going to be whatever you can get off the web and from forums.

At $100 US I don't see them putting much skin in the game for support.

I did try to set the ECEF (x,y,z) using a $PRF104 command and that also returned nothing. I can not download the Almanac or the Epheremis table. In fact all Polls return nothing. Its like the output port is dead.

I would like to have a diagnostic program that could start with some very basic commands or use DEBUG mode maybe. I have not found out yet how Debug works or what the output is even though I have tried setting it on.

Any suggestions from the experts here on how to proceed?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try calling them on 0870 321 5929. I have heard anecdotal reports that their support is very good, perhaps speaking to them in person will get a result.
Laz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may come down to that but right now I am located at approximately:
36 31 N
89 03 W

so you can see that would perhaps be a costly option and if I was hold for
any length of time???

I would therefore wish they had a email contact.

I may try the other locations like TW and so forth but like I said I don't see
them putting much into support for a low cost item. Yet if they had high cost items then perhaps they may have support but I see nothing on their site nor on the others.

I believe that I am going to have to force an RMA if I can find no other solution.
HOLUX UK Tech
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laz,

We're sorry to hear that you have a problem with your GM-270.

We're also sorry that the e-mail you sent has bounced. It shouldn't have done and we receive numerous tech support e-mails every day so it must have been a temporary glitch in our servers. Perhaps you'd be kind enough to try again so that we can help you as best we can without taking up valuable space here in the forums?

We hope that this is of help to you and we look forward to being of service to you again in the future.

Kindest regards,

The HOLUX UK Technical Support Team.

Tel: +44 (0)870 321 5929 ext 52
Fax: +44 (0)870 321 4029
e-mail: tech@holux-uk.com
web: www.holux-uk.com

HOLUX Navigation Aids "......Get there."
airdale
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Dead Holux 270 and now gm-210 Reply with quote

To followup on my experiences with the Holux units I am posting this under a different ID(lost pw to old one but it was user LAZ).

The Holux 270 I finally got an RMA on but it was like pulling hen's teeth. First
the phone is a big problem. In the USA they just don't answer. When they did it was a guy who didn't speak very good english. He kept giving me a run-around and after pressing him very very hard he gave me the name of someone else.

That someone else was equally as elusive but perservance paid off and I was finally able to return a dead unit(never could get any support on it) that was less than 30 days old.

It took a long time to get the replacement but at least it does work and is working now.

Now for the GM-210. It was initially ordered at the same time as the 270. These units were to be using in a farming operation so it was important to find out whether the product was stable enough or robust enough to serve the needs.

I used the 210 once and it worked. Yesterday I tried it again and it was dead. No LED.

I knew it was not going to be returnable so I was going to take the damn thing apart but it had no screws visible. I think the only way to get inside it to cut the case at the centerline.

Short story. I finally was able to get it operational.

Let me say that these units are problemmatic. The lousy little GPS VIEWER program is a real piece of trash. The unit has many functional abilities but this program is so simplistic that it boggles the mind at how someone could create such a useless application. Just check the REAL TEK GM Monitor for a really good piece of code.

With a lot of arcane methods and some late nite hacking I got the GM-210 working. My suggestion is that there are some known areas that need to be made known to the consumers as to the idiocrancies of these units.

Why don't I explain what I had to do?

I won't go into that because thats supports job. I will leave one hint. Its in the area of the battery and initialization.

Now that having been said. Once you get the Sirf II running the output is usuable and the DOP is well within the range I need. This chipset is very very functional if you can find how to explore and make use of its full potential. I would prefer the chipset packaged in a better product, more diagnostics and a better idea of what the failures are when they occur.

I never spoke to the UK support. I didn't send an email but the previous posts contained all the data that I knew and was sufficient for a complete description of the failure. Telling it on the phone or in an email would not have yielded any further data or information.

All I can say. Is I think this product is not for the average user(because of its idiosyncrancies). I am using it to do mapped 3d flybys of my farming operation(fields,yields, scoutings,borders,etc) with elevation data included.
gps_user
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it depends what the weather is like when you contact Holux. I tried to get hold of a cable which they said was in stock and would be delivered next day. Three weeks later I got it and they told me they had a stock shortage. Yeah, Thanks for informing me!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: