Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Re: CP6 patch and the safety camera databases
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Re: CP6 patch and the safety camera databases
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Searcher22
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: CP6 patch and the safety camera databases Reply with quote

Hi All

In the pdf about the patch it refers only to the single file database & the modes you need to make to the file name(s).

Has anyone (successfully) used either the "camera type" or "speed related" databases. These having many files instead of just the 2 for the single file database and by their very nature appropriate file names that would also need amending. But what amendments and has it worked AOK?

TIA Smile
matt1971
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: CP6 patch and the safety camera databases Reply with quote

Searcher22 wrote:

Has anyone (successfully) used either the "camera type" or "speed related" databases.
TIA Smile

I paid me £2 and downloaded the single file for all speed camera dB's

Copied across the ov2 and bmp files, renamed them - then when copilot was next launched it told me it was integrating the update. Afterwards those files had disappeared but my poi files had increased in size.

Matt
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you rightly note, the new recommended method does not give any indication as to type of camera. The applicable speed limit is displayed in the overlayed yellow warning box though.

I have done a little tinkering, and think that for the new system to work, only the start of the name needs to be 'safteycamera'. So I am trying renaming the files with the cameras grouped by type (not by type and speed - which for some reason do not load correctly on my system - with some of the files not being incorporated, and white boxes rather than icons being shown on the map) I renamed the files to safetycamera_redlight.bmp and safetycamera_redlight.ov2 with similar renaming for the other files.

While I still do not get any indication of camera type in the spoken instructions, I do get an appropriate icon on the map, which is now displayed with the small yellow overlay warning box instead of the 'blue warning screen' during the warning period. Note, it looks as if the map is displayed even when you are in driver safey mode, but if you are in driver safety mode, the map (when it is displayed) in not 'where am I', but 'next turn' with its variable scale, so if the 'next turn' is some way off, the scale can be too small for the icons to be displayed at all. (They are not displayed at the smaller scales)

If you try this, proceed with care, there may be other issues to consider if you use this method. So far I have only tested it using the built in CoPilot demo.

One unusual thing of note - the camera warning is spoken by Jane (wave), even when you set Roger (TTS) as the voice - and they can both speak at the same time! Perhaps someone knows of a suitable 'chime' to replace Jane's warning message.
starion
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just updated my CP6 with the latest patch v6.0.1.68 and the install went fine, however I no longer get speed camera alerts!

Have I done something wrong?

I already had two speed camera files in my storage card/save folder called (speedcams.ov2 and speedcams.bmp) at no point in the upgrade did i have to go near them. Once the upgade had completed however I renamed them to (safetycamera.ov2 & safetycamera.bmp) as instucted.
I also got the long delay when CP6 started but I saw no message about loading POI/Safety cameras.

Any of you more experienced users got any ideas.

I also seem to have the TTS/WAV issues some other have.

Thanks

Starion
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you download the ALK instructions in addition to the patch files, and delete any AO*.* files as per those instructions?

Both .pdf files, one for ActiveSync, and the other for a card reader.
starion
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi neil01

Short answer is yes! I only downloaded the pdf pertaining to Card Reader style updating.

I no longer had any of the AO* files (I adopted the newer way of loading safety cameras which seemed not to require those AO* files)
so I removed them a while ago.

Do I need to remove the existing safety camera files...Load up CP6....close it down....recopy them to the save folder...and restart CP6.

A colleague suggested this! (seems a bit of a long shot)
matt1971
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starion wrote:
Hi neil01

Short answer is yes! I only downloaded the pdf pertaining to Card Reader style updating.

I no longer had any of the AO* files (I adopted the newer way of loading safety cameras which seemed not to require those AO* files)
so I removed them a while ago.

Do I need to remove the existing safety camera files...Load up CP6....close it down....recopy them to the save folder...and restart CP6.

A colleague suggested this! (seems a bit of a long shot)

Cant you just go through the data download wizard again to create the POI's? Then just copy the 2 safety camera dB files across and start copilot.

Not sure if thats the issue youve got though.

Matt
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If as you say that you no longer have the AO*.* files, I think that something may have gone very wrong with your installation, and you may have to start again from scratch.

Even if you have deleted the files, I think that they will simply be re-created (but without the POI data). When you have the .ov2 and matching .bmp files in the save directory when you launch CoPilot; it is into the those AO*.* files to which the information is incorporated. That is why you delete them each time you want to load new data.

Once susessfully incorporated, the ov2 and bmp files will be deleted, so if they are still there - something has gone wrong. Unfortunately, as I am only just starting to get my head around the new (to CoPilot) ov2 method, I haven't got a clue what that something could be.

However, from past experience, it seems to be difficult (impossible?) to fix CoPilot when it gets messed up. Certainly, in my experience, the better option seems to be to start again. In fact since I have got installing CoPilot how I like it to around half an hour, so in the majority of situations reinstallation is the quicker (and undoubtably more satisfactory) option.
starion
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not all that sure what you mean.

Are you saying that I should recreate my DATASET??

I followed the upgrade pdf to the letter (hopefully) and it didn't mention recreating the MAP DATASET.

For some unknown reason my CP6 is failing to recognise the two safety camera files currently residing on my storage card.

These files incidentally were used yesterday morning without incident!.

I might as well get my call into ALK support. Sad
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starion wrote:
I am not all that sure what you mean.

Are you saying that I should recreate my DATASET??...
(

In the absence of anyone else coming up with a solution to your problem quickly; by starting from scratch - I mean just that. From the beginning as if it had never been installed - even re-creating the Quickstart card.

If I were doing it for myself, I would even be uninstalling CoPilot from the desktop, deleting the folders left behind, and reloading from the original CDs, and then installing the desktop patch.

So far as the PPC side is concerned, I would use the PC application to create the quickstart file to a freshly formatted sd card (NB some PPCs or cards seem to have an issue if the SD card is formatted to FAT32 rather than 16).

I would have also done a HARD re-set to my PPC before re-configuring it and loading CoPilot. (NB if re-configuring the PPC don't have the 2577 directory on the card until you have finished the PPCs initial configuration - or CoPilot will try to install before you are ready)

Yes it may seem extreme, but for me, I only use my PPC for SatNav - so not only is it really a viable solution in my case, it is something I do regularly; especially after when I have been 'tinkering'!

But how far you are prepared to go, and when, is I am afraid up to you.

PS If you have any files or journeys, favourites etc you require, make sure that you back them up first.
matt1971
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

As per my response in the upgrade thread - this is exactly what i have done!!

I thought my Copilot had messed up (it hadnt but i didnt realise this at the time) and this is what I did:

Uninstalled both from PC and PPC - delete any redundant directories.
Installed to PC and PPC from the original CD's.
Use the data download wizard which not only recreates the map data but also the SAVE and SPEECH directories.
Uninstall PPC - do not delete any of the redundant files.
Unzip the patch EXE for PPC.
Copy across the 2577 and copilot directories from the quickstart directory.
Say yes to any files that need overwriting
Let the autorun...erm....run
Save the safety camera files (ov2 and bmp) to the copilot\save directory.
Next launch of Copilot it will tell you that it is integrating updates and then you should have the new dB's loaded.

Hope this helps....no wonder it took me all of last night to get it all working. (TTS still doesnt work without testing the speech first though...but thats another story)

Matt
starion
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi neil01,matt1971

I will try a full deinstall reinstall and let you guys know how I get on.

Hopefully it should all spring to life!

Thanks for your efforts

Starion. 8O
neil01
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

matt1971 wrote:
...Uninstalled both from PC and PPC - delete any redundant directories.
Installed to PC and PPC from the original CD's.
Use the data download wizard which not only recreates the map data but also the SAVE and SPEECH directories.
Uninstall PPC - do not delete any of the redundant files.
Unzip the patch EXE for PPC.
Copy across the 2577 and copilot directories from the quickstart directory.
Say yes to any files that need overwriting
Let the autorun...erm....run
Save the safety camera files (ov2 and bmp) to the copilot\save directory.
Next launch of Copilot it will tell you that it is integrating updates and then you should have the new dB's loaded...

If you apply the desktop patch to the re-installed PC application and then create the quickstart card, the PPC will be loaded at v6.0.1.68 from the off.

The PPC patch is only required if you wish to upgrade the original quickstart card.

The ov2 files can then be integrated.
matt1971
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thats what I did at first but it never worked for me - hence going back to the drawing board.

I agree that it should work as you say.

Matt
Searcher22
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 8:26 pm    Post subject: Seems that the update crashed my PPC Reply with quote

I have the Loox N560 and up until using the patch my CP6 and the PPC has been well behaved.

But following patching this morning and adding the safety camera database about 3 hours into my journey I got a "Memory low critical" warning - checking the 'storage memory' it was indeed critical. Made me think of the equivalent of a memory leak in Win98se.

However, I found that the PPC had locked up - woud not suspend/resume - would not soft boot - would cold boot ~ whatever I do I get the memory warning. From what I can recall I had approx 30MB free space before the CP patch installation.

It does look like I am going need to do a factory reset Crying or Very sad If this is indeed a CP6 patch related issue, I wonder what is different compared to the old CP6?

Do you know if CP6 can be installed to the SD memory card instead of the 'device'? I hope so because that is 2GB and I have plenty of space. With my various other programs, I have where possible installed them to the SD card unless like CFv2 it is system related which I installed to the device ~ also I think I put Pocket Plus on the device memory together with Magic Button....!

TIA Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: