Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Using i3 in Europe.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Using i3 in Europe.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kopperdrake
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

walmac wrote:
I have just returned from a short caravanning trip to sites at Elmpt in Germany, Amsterdam and Delft in Holland, Antwerp in Belgium and Pernes lez Boulougne in France. Prior to going I inputted as poi's various Caravan sites in those Countries onto my i3, Software v.2.90 maps V.8.

Hi Walmac,

Are you saying you managed to get by in Europe with just the pre-installed Europe base maps and then by manually adding POI for the campsites? How did you add the POIs? By using software on your PC or by plotting them directly into your Garmin? I only ask as we're off camping to Europe this summer and I was debating whether to buy one of the additional mapping bits of software like City Guides or Navigator, but if I can add the main campsites myself then I might do that instead!

kopper
walmac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Walmac,

Are you saying you managed to get by in Europe with just the pre-installed Europe base maps and then by manually adding POI for the campsites? How did you add the POIs? By using software on your PC or by plotting them directly into your Garmin? I only ask as we're off camping to Europe this summer and I was debating whether to buy one of the additional mapping bits of software like City Guides or Navigator, but if I can add the main campsites myself then I might do that instead!

Kopper

I inputted them via my computer using POI loader.

To be fair, I was at all times not far from, or within the standard
i3 coverage .

I don't know about further afield.

Walmac
kopperdrake
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that - I've only just got round to using POI loader (new to all this!) and it's pretty cool to be able to plot all the UK campsites, but great for abroad too by the sounds of it.

We're hopefully driving to Italy this summer so was hoping I could get by with the standard UK maps and Europe base maps, but the more I read (and use the GPS) the more I think I may have to buy the Europe maps. I guess I should have bought the i320 in hindsite Confused
tothemax
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: full europe map Reply with quote

hi all just to let everybody know if you don't already that if you purchase this http://www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod2289.html for your i3 bin all the rest of the stuff you then have the whole of europe for £157.77 happy holidays
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep did that,
Geat service from GPSW and although the city select version was V6 a phone call to Garmin brought V8 City Navigator in the post the next day! :D.

It all works fine, (well in UK at least as I've not yet made any europe trips) and the only pitfall that I have found is that you lose the quick Postal code search facility on the I3 for finding routes (even in the UK unless I'm missing something Confused ) instead you have to input the town, road and house no.

The DVD says that it does do post code search, but I found that only applied when viewing the maps on the PC and even then it was only the first 3 or 4 didgits.

I e-mailed Garmin twice questioning this but got no reply. Crying or Very sad

Colin
J500ANT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit of an odd question/issue here.

I paid Garmin for MapSource v8, and got a licence to use on my Streetpilot III and also for my i3. Ive got a brand new Motorola micro SD card to go into my i3.

I've set it all up and it "makes" all the files then goes to send them to the card. It gets to 1% then comes up with an I/O error for the memory card.

I have tried the following:
Quick format of the card and retry AND Full format of the card and retry (both unsuccessful)

Sending small files to the card via My Computer AND sending a file the size of my set of maps, that works fine.

So I still cant use Mapsource (v6.10.2) to send the files to my card, yet I appear to have a perfectly functioning card reader and card.

Any suggestions (before I ring Garmin and wait on hold for 40mins again)
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J500ANT,

I use the MapSource software to send the map sets directly to the blank card while it is in my I3, not throgh a card reader.
Don't know if that makes any difference.

Colin
J500ANT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

707 wrote:
J500ANT,

I use the MapSource software to send the map sets directly to the blank card while it is in my I3, not throgh a card reader.
Don't know if that makes any difference.

Colin

Didnt know I could do that! Well done that man, thats my next plan.
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Probs, 8)

Hope it works for you too

Colin
J500ANT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

707 wrote:
No Probs, 8)

Hope it works for you too

Colin

Nope, it failed at a similar point. So maybe I do have a dodgy memory card? Strange that it works fine when you send it a normal file though. Will try and get another to try.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: